Making Cakes Just For Photos..

Business By loriemoms Updated 25 Jan 2006 , 1:29pm by dodibug

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 15

My "portfolio" isn't as large as I like it to be (mainly because I made cakes for years and never took good photos of them) I would like to make up some dummy cakes to photograph (Mainly because everyone is sick of sweets at work and home during the holidays! hahaha) Has anyone made up a dummy cake? Do you just cover styrophone with practice cream? Any ideas?

Thanks!

14 replies
cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 15

i just did a whole bunch just for photos, i use the pan upside down...or dummies wrapped in plastic wrap and then use buttercream..to save on costs, i just use shortening and sugar...no flavouring or real butter and after your picture, scrape it off and start all over

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 25 Dec 2005 , 4:42am
post #3 of 15

I had for whatever reason, something against "dummy" cakes. I didn't get the point behind them for the longest time. Now, I think some businesses are more into the 'whimsy" cakes, and this is a great way to "practice" making certain cakes this way. I've got lots of 3/4" foam sheets just for this occasion, as I've had this idea for a cake for a long time, butonly to make for my company logo.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 25 Dec 2005 , 6:30am
post #4 of 15

That's a great idea, just using sugar & shortening, no flavor or anything.

It's much better than making up a bunch of cakes just for the sake of practice, IMO, 'cause eating too much sweets, all those empty calories, is still wasting. I try to think of it that way, 'cause I am SUCH a cheapskate, but I figure it's better to put it in the garbage rather than use my body as a garbage disposal, lol.

Have fun!
Melissa icon_smile.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 15

As odd as this may sound......a baker that I know uses "spackling" or "joint compound" as icing on her dummy cakes! I haven't priced this stuff, but she uses it just like icing over styrofoam dummies...colors it just like icing and it's the perfect consistency. It dries hard as a rock and she can actually "wash" off her cakes when they get dusty! She only uses it for window display cakes....she has also used it on pans turned upside down that are covered with cling wrap first (for portfolio pics). Have any of you heard of this before?

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 15

I, too, have used spackling to practice with. Here I can buy a 5 kilo bag for 4 bucks. You can't beat that! It works great and looks realistic, too. I wrap my dummy cakes first, then 'frost'. After I'm done taking pictures I just peel off the wrap and in the recycle box it goes. No mess, no fuss. I highly recommend it.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 15

I have a question about fondant on dummy cakes. How long will the fondant last and still look good? Is there an alternative to fondant that looks like fondant? I'd like to practice a few things but I don't always have the time to bake a cake for it. I thought that if I could cover the dummy is fondant and then practice my swags and trims that would save a lot of time and expense.

Thanks!
Debbie

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 15

Cakefairy

That is a great idea. I was also wondering how to make more cakes to add to my photo album without baking the real thing. I will definitely have to try this so I can get more order and/or customers for 2006.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

As odd as this may sound......a baker that I know uses "spackling" or "joint compound" as icing on her dummy cakes! I haven't priced this stuff, but she uses it just like icing over styrofoam dummies...colors it just like icing and it's the perfect consistency. It dries hard as a rock and she can actually "wash" off her cakes when they get dusty! She only uses it for window display cakes....she has also used it on pans turned upside down that are covered with cling wrap first (for portfolio pics). Have any of you heard of this before?

What a neat idea!!! And your creations live forever!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 15

Ya, most of my cakes are done that way...i jsut finished losing a whole bunch of weight and u dont want to put it back on so just shortening and sugar over a pan, snap a pic and wash it all away...lots of examples on my website!

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:53am
post #11 of 15

I also have baked many cakes that were not photographed... what were we thinking back then.
I have thought of dummy cakes but feel it is wasteful even if it is just buttercream or fondant so never get round to doing it. But having said that I need some better photos for my website and album and this is probably the best way to do it...

macksnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macksnax Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 15

i had a question about the compound/ spakling. would you use it to also decorate the cake, like flowers, etc. or just to ice it?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 12:36am
post #13 of 15

Don't forget that you don't have to decorate the back of the cake if it is just for pics. I have several pictures of wedding cakes that are only decorated on one side...or different on each side.

macksnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macksnax Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:34am
post #14 of 15

i had a question about the compound/ spakling. would you use it to also decorate the cake, like flowers, etc. or just to ice it?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:29pm
post #15 of 15

Debbie-I think I have seen something on-line about the type of fondant you are asking about. My little one just woke up so I will try to find it a little later this am!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%