Am I An "addict"?

Lounge By llj68 Updated 22 Dec 2005 , 4:09pm by NEWTODECORATING

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 10

I think this is the post that will throw me into the "Forum Addict" catagory. If not--I will be soon!

I have learned so much here at CC. It's fun seeing all the new faces but I do miss some of the old timers.

Lisa

9 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Lisa,

I know what you mean.

First off, I would like to welcome all the new CC buddies that have joined thumbs_up.gif

Now, can anyone tell me what is happening to all the old buddies? icon_cry.gif

The forums were always filled with new ideas, help needed, great tips and so on.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:11am
post #3 of 10

It's probably just the cycle of repetitiveness. New people asking pretty much the same new questions, over and over. It gets kind of old after awhile.

I'm just generalizing from what I've seen happen on other specialized forums. *Shrug* I know I've burned out on other hobby forums because after awhile, it seems to get old, even though the love for the hobby is still there.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:34am
post #4 of 10

Maybe someone should make a big FAQ? That seemed to help keep most of the repetitive questions down on other forums i am on. Lol thumbs_up.gif

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 10

I'm guessing a new and improved FAQ wouldn't help much--many of the questions being asked on a daily basis here could be answered if people would use the search function. This is not a complaint, just an observation.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 10

I agree...some ppl just post before searching..it does get a little repetitive..but I still like it...there are plenty of new things on here as well..

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 4:03am
post #7 of 10

Well I guess some people do get bored if they see repetetive questions and yes, having some stickies does help but I really don't think that is the reason for oldies not being around, at least not all of them. I don't mind answering the same questions over more than once, I think that is to be expected as we are forever adding new members and this is true of all of the sites. After all nobody forces anyone to answer a question if it has been asked before.
I guess I would be considered an oldie here, haha, in more ways than one and I don't get bored seeing people learn new things in fact I find it especially interesting to see people learn and grow. But then, I have a special place in my heart for all of the new people starting out that are trying so hard to learn something new and they are so grateful for a pointer or two or a recipe or set of instructions. And we all learn from the newbies as they are the most up-to-date with new instructions, methods, ideas, tools etc.
Yes, you will always lose a percentage of your membership who move on to someplace else or are busy with their lives and don't have the time they used to have to come on the sites.
No, I suspect in some cases it is more a reaction to what some of us oldies see as a bit of a rude attitude that has been showing up these last three or four months. It is really something new to the site and something some of us find upsetting. Seems like you have to choose your words so very carefully and even when you do, you can get jumped on in a rather rude way. It is funny because at one time, the general membership just wouldn't allow this rudeness or lack of manners and they would take care of it themselves. Now folks seem to either turn a blind eye to it, or act just as rudely or it gets ignored until someone reports it to the moderator's attention.
Some people seem to just thrive in arguing with every statement made or finding some way of being offensive or finding something offensive. Now there is nothing wrong with disagreeing but there is a nice way, a polite way to do it and that seems to have gone out the window.
Sometimes you see information posted that you know in fact, to be incorrect but you think twice before posting a correction for fear you will be jumped on so you just let it go if it isn't too serious.
If people are upset about something and just venting, instead of respecting their right to their feelings, people seem to have the need to jump on them for daring to voice how they are feeling.
There seems to be some game playing going on and I guess some of us oldtimers just don't like it or want any part of it. So some stay away for awhile hoping the attitude will change and some just don't come back.
I suppose it is like anything else, you don't go where you don't feel safe or welcome. Sometimes a little of the rudeness and lack of manners fo a very long way and people just get completely turned off. So what happens is you lose some of the older members and you also lose some of the newer members who don't understand why anyone would behave in that manner on a cake site. And you lose some of the more experienced decorators or bakers who just cannot be bothered wasting their time if they are going to be treated disrespectfully. The lack of treating people with respect no matter who they are, is a big issue.
I think that the members get the kind of site they deserve if they behave in this manner, it certainly isn't up to the owner to babysit the site 24 hours a day.
We keep talking about Christmas with this holiday approaching but isn't the spirit of Christmas and the whole spirit of being a Christian which some of use profess to be, isn't it all about loving thy neighbour and doesn't love include respect? I am not in any way meaning that only Christians have exclusive rights to treating each other with love and respect because that simply isn't so, it is a main part of virtually any religious or cultural group on the face of the earth. Aren't forgiveness and humility also part of the package?
Just my thoughts as an oldie.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 5:19am
post #8 of 10

Well said, Squirrelly Cakes.
Sherry

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 10:19am
post #9 of 10

Hi SquirrellyCakes,

So glad to see you...really miss having you on icon_cry.gif

I totally agree with your post.

Hoping that you will be back full time(like this is a job) icon_lol.gif

Boy, could I stand a cigarette right now...getting better with the wthdrawals icon_cry.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 10

Well as a newbie, I think my job is to answer some of the repeat questions. I don't have the knowledge(yet) to answer the hard questions, but if it is something I have ask and gotten the answer to or read the answer in another post, I certainly can direct a person there. That is my contribution to the site for all I have taken from it. I think if all of us newbies help each other out it would relieve some of the burden from others. I greatly appreciate everyone here and hope to cure with kindness. I have seen the site deteriorate over the last few months. Rudeness and egos have gotten in the way of an otherwise wonderful place to be and learn. I hope the Christmas spirit will bring us all back to one happy cake decorating family and the oldbies will return soon. I miss them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%