Jewels Of Denial Quality

Decorating By adven68 Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 1:37pm by chuelchie

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 32

Hi there...

I came across this site on CC a couple of weeks ago...
http://www.thejewelsofdenial.com/

I received an order of "yellow" jewels. They don't look anything like the photos on the website. They are tossed in a plastic bag together and they are chipped and scratched....not at all bright and shiny like the misleading photos in the website. The "cuts" on the stones are hardly visible....

Has anyone else dealt with them?

31 replies
cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 32

Oh boy! I'm so happy to have found your comments. I was planning to order from them this week! Definitely won't be going that route. Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear of your disappointing quality and delivery, though.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 32

oh man..they look so pretty on the site too!!!! i would definitely have bought from them..have you co ntacted them ?

adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

oh man..they look so pretty on the site too!!!! i would definitely have bought from them..have you co ntacted them ?

This morning I sent a simple letter:
"I recently purchased some"jewels" from your website. I must say your website is a bit misleading with the bright and shiny pieces you feature. What I received was a bunch of hard candy thrown in a plastic bag. They were all chipped and scratched and really nothing I would use on one of my cakes. Perhaps a different packaging method might save them from breaking.
Your lollipops did taste good but I don't think I would order your jewels again."

I'll let you know what they respond with.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 32

Hopefully you'll get a complete refund on product and shipping. I've seen the site and wanted to place an order. Thanks to you sharing your misadventure with them you've saved many of us.
Good luck and Thanks!!!

Joyce

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 32

She is registered here, and posted a message in a thread that someone else had who wasn't happy with their either. I'll see if I can find it this afternoon.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 32

How disappointing, I've looked at that web site many times and thought about using their product. Off to find another supplier! Thanks for the heads up.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 32

Yup...Very disappointing!!! I loved the website also.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 32

oh that stinks! thumbsdown.gif
They are too cute on the site.
Let us know the outcome. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bettye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettye Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 32

Thanks for posting your comments, I was also going to be ordering from them this week.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 32

Thank you so much for posting this thread, I would have totally ordered from them. Definately let us know how the outcome is. Perhaps you will change their shipping practices. I hope so at least! Thanks again!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 32

adven68 - there's another company you does jewels as well. maybe you can give them a try? here's the link:http://www.jeff-the-chef.com/store/products.html

good luck - hope this helps.

adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:50pm
post #14 of 32

ckkerber...thanks for the link....

sirius....jeff the chef is a great sugar artist!!! Thanks for the site.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:30pm
post #15 of 32

Yay! Canadian and in my area too!! You just solved my dilemma!

adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 32

I just got home and saw a refund on my Paypal account for most of the cost. (I ordered some other stuff that I was happy with). I thought that was very kind, considering I didn't ask for it.
But, a note (which didn't come with the refund) would have also sufficed.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 32

I'm happy you were promptly refunded for the ''jewels''. Besides ''kind'', it is proper business etiquette. A note along with your refund would have been even better PR though.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:54am
post #18 of 32

I've been looking for jewels too. I came across the post from the other member that was unhappy and the owner of the company posted a reply on CC. I also checked out http://www.jeff-the-chef.com/store/products.html He is a wonderful pastry chef with beautiful work! I PM'd him on Friday about ordering some of his gems but haven't heard back from him yet. I hope to soon! I haven't been able to find anyone else that makes these.

Debbie

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 32

I tried to buy some 'jewels' from Jewels of Denial about 9 months ago. After about 2 months (I thought they must have still been 'in transit' as I live in the UK), They contacted me and asked if I had received them. When I replied that I hadn't received them yet they sent out another batch, which never arrived either ..... after another 4 weeks or so, I let them know that they hadn't arrived. They replied straight away saying that they think someone in customs likes their candy! They gave me a full refund. I thought that their customer relations was excellent! I would have been a bit upset if after all the waiting, a bag of scratched nondescript 'jewels' arrived though!!
Just enquired with Kincaellan about his jewels which look FANTASTIC, only trouble is the shipping is quite a lot! Want some fab cake project to warrant buying them!! Keep asking my sister to hurry up & get engaged! Needs to find a fella first !!!

thecakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #20 of 32

I ordered from Kincaellan. I can't wait to receive them! I'm hoping they show up in time to use on the cowboy hat cake i'm working on. Shipping was expensive though but what can you do. . . He was very nice to deal with.

Debbie

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 32

Well Thanks Debbie,

I ship the jewels in small air-tight bags to keep them shiny and to prevent too much scratching. They are also shipped in bubble wrap packaging.
I try to keep the packaging minimal with out risking the product in order to keep the costs down. If you do get sugar that has been dulled by scratching etc you can flash them with a torch and it should clear up immediatly.
God knows what the post office does with them on route.
Also remember DON'T TOUCH THEM with you BARE HANDS. The tiny bit of moisture from your fingers will dull the clarity. If you want to lustre dust them than all you have to do is roll them around in your hand for a second or two and that should make them sticky enough for the lustre dust to adhere.
The Shipping costs are stupid. It needs to be trackable especially when going into the states and you want to get it on time. Of course if customs hangs on to them there's nothing any of us can do. Sometimes they will charge you duty on top of everything else too!
Good thing they look amazing! even if I do say so myself.

www.kincaellan.com

thecakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm
post #22 of 32

I knew the shipping wasn't you. I can't wait to see them!

Debbie

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #23 of 32

I understand the shipping is a nightmare ... particularly from Canada/US to the UK ...
However I have not found anywhere here that does anything like this, and I won't tell you what a google search on 'blown sugar' came up with ..... good catholic Irish girl here icon_redface.giftapedshut.gificon_redface.gif !!! So I'm going to go mad and get them anyway!
You're a great man for the extra info Kincaellan ... wouldn't have had a clue about not touching them with my hands ... I'm sure I'd have just poured a few out onto the palm of my hand to have look at them !!
Can't WAIT to see your cowboy hat cake thecakemaker .... your first one is magnificent!

indenial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indenial Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:24am
post #24 of 32

I am sorry you were unhappy with the jewels. The jewels on the site are the same ones i send out but they are all hand poured as stated on the site and there are variations. However, I would never send a product I thought was sub-par and did refund the OP. I had emailed her privately but unfortunately she did not respond. We have changed our shipping packaging and hope that this will alleviate the problems mentioned. I was unaware that the jewels were arriving damaged as no one had told me previously. Also, I would be more than happy to share which mold I am using if anyone wanted to make there own. I only make it over here once in a while so if you are interested, please send me an email at [email protected]. Again, I am really sorry you were disappointed and really do want everyone to be happy, so please contact me!

Susie

adven68 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indenial

I had emailed her privately but unfortunately she did not respond. We have changed our shipping packaging and hope that this will alleviate the problems mentioned.
Susie

I'm glad to see that you are reading this post because it is a shame to lose so much business when something like packaging could change things. Disclaimers don't make things right when the client is unhappy so I'm glad to see you are listening to your customers. I never received an email from you. In the Paypal refund there was no private message attached. Can you forward the original email to me?

Thank you.
Irene Likokas

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #26 of 32

I did get mine from Jeff, they were pretty amazing! some a little to big for what I needed, but only the very very bottom ones in the envelope had some damage, but he knew that would happen and he sent me a few extra!

Now THAT'S CUSTOMER service!

as I didn't need them in a hurry I let him send them the most inexpensive way, it did take about 3 weeks, but like I said...I was in no hurry.

So, if I want to keep the shipping minimal, I will order my next batch way ahead of time, keep extra or pay for the shipping.

anyone that can cook sugar can make them, but why bother? the cost, time and convenience evens out!!

I'm using mine in a display cake that's due at the end of this month! will post!!!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:49pm
post #27 of 32

I keep waiting for a cake that will need some of the jewels of denial. I want to order from them simply because the name and website are so freaking hillarious.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:52pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

I keep waiting for a cake that will need some of the jewels of denial. I want to order from them simply because the name and website are so freaking hillarious.

YES! Marketing is everything! thumbs_up.gif

justinsnaynay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinsnaynay Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 2:38pm
post #29 of 32

Hi everyone,
I also posted on the other forum about being unhappy with the jewels that I got from them. They did not look anything like the pictures and just looked like hard candy peices. I also forgot to mention that I did not receive my first order and they had to be shipped again and the lady that I spoke with when I called sent them overnight and did not charge extra for the shipping. I agree that the customer service was very good but product was not. So, I am going to try Kincaellan and see what happens.

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:00pm
post #30 of 32

Always willing to help.
E-mail me through the site and we will get them on their way.
I make 150 jewels for every order and than pick out the best ones and send them. This way I have seen each one before it is sent out. Some damage occurs in transport like Risquebusiness said but the extra's I ship help to counteract that. Of course if none get damaged that you just have BONUS jewels.
YEAH!

www.kincaellan.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%