Tell Me: How Does One Decorate With Children/pets Around?

Decorating By countrykittie Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 11:51pm by bluehen92

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 20

I had told my almost 4 year old that I had a cake to make for her aunt for this sunday. I decided to make it yesterday as I have to work today and I didn't want to be rushing around making it before I had to go to work. Well, I got the majority of it done, but she of course was feeling abit left out and neglected (bad mom icon_redface.gif ) and I ended up finishing it up after she went to bed. I got mad at the cat for almost eating it and I was getting especially frustrated at my really first attempt at roses. They turned out ok but just ok...

So, how do you handle your kids and pets...(and maybe husbands too)?

19 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 20

you sell them on ebay! lol

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 20

I operate on very little sleep. icon_smile.gif Do my baking during the day and then decorate at night when everyone's sleeping.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 20

If I'm at home, I decorate at night. No pets or anyone else allowed...

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 20

Hi,

I am a stay at home mother of a two year old. I've found that the only way I can do it is to do it in stages, because I never have a large chunk of time.

One day I bake the cakes, another day I will whip up the icing, another day I will color the icing, etc.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

ROFLMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I do this all the time during the weekends. And no I don't sell them on Ebay icon_lol.gif I just have my DH take care of the stepkids while I keep busy in the kitchen. When cake is baking, I spend time with them. I find the best time to do things is early in the morning, while they're sleeping or after dinner around 9 p.m. when they are tired or watching TV. HTH icon_smile.gif

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 20

I like that idea! I have the same problem, my two year old always wants to eat the frosting.

tweety555246 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweety555246 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 20

If your daughter wants to feel included then give her some icing,and fondant or anything she can play with and feel important.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 20

Do people actually buy the kids posted on ebay or do the desprate parents give people money to take them off their hands? icon_lol.gif

I have a 4 year old and he loves to watch me. He plays in the living room mostly anyway so he's around while I do the cakes, and if it's for home I try to find something he can help with.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 20

I do it in steps too(but mostly because of a neck/back injury). My 4 yr daughter loves to cook and bake, so I actually let her help whenever I can. When I am making figurines out of fondant, I give her some to create things with. When I am baking, she helps dump stuff in the bowl, she will help hold the mixer. Then for decorating...my MIL is such a honey, she bought a smaller decorating bag. So I fill up her bag with extra frosting, give her waxed paper, and let her go to town! She loves it just as much as I do and is getting pretty darn good at making shells, lol=) Jen

sassijen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassijen Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 20

I know how you feel. I spent most of yesterday making fondant roses for a cake. (my first fondant roses) They turned out good to. I had to go to the store for a few more things. ( DH took a shower while I was gone.) And in the 10mins I was gone my 4 and 9 yr old had devoured the roses. icon_mad.gif I was so mad. but what can you do!!! Needless to say I'll be making roses all day today. but at least I got practice right icon_lol.gif

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 20

Ahhh, Ebay...I never thought of that...Good idea! thumbs_up.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 20

ROFL Sassijen=) I know it isn't funny to have to do em all over again, but what a cute memory! Jen

Edited to add...did they get upset tummies??? That would be a whole lot of sweet stuff at once=(

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 20

RisqueBusiness that is too funny! I used to sell/buy stuff on ebay all the time (not so much anymore) but when I was my SIL kept on telling me I better be careful and not put my kids on ebay for someone to buy! LOL

As far as baking and decorating...I do it when I can (kids sleeping, playing with DH, etc.) but as of lately I haven't been able to do a thing which stinks because there is so much that I want to do!

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 20

I first put my Mastiff out of the kitchen and put up the gate....the kitchen then gets vacuumed and washed down to ensure there is no dog hair since he sheds like you would not believe.

Kiddos play in the kitchen with fondant scraps or playdoh or I wait until they are in bed for the night.

I usually prefer night decorating....dog is asleep and so are kiddos!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Oh, how I laughed at that one!! icon_cool.gif You don't know how close I sometimes come to wanting to post "One complete, gently used family" for sale. Hmmm....about how much does a 'King's family with a spare daughter go for nowadays? lol

Many times I pull 'all-nighters' to completely decorate a cake. Most of the time I do it in shifts though as others have mentioned. I just completed my last Course 1 Wilton class last night and was really annoyed that due to lack of time (and ability to get to stop at the store to get a few needed supplies) I was running late and was only able to bring 1 double batch of stiff consistency frosting with my 1 eight inch torted, and badly (too thin) iced cake. I did make due by borrowing someone else's green icing for leaves and mixing icing in an uncut disposable decorating bag for roses (I just need to put on some finishing touches and MAYBE I'll post the photo). Was not my best work...but I do what I can. They're only this young once.

I just can't believe that I thought this time around it would be easier with only one little one (my two older children are 18 months apart). Well it turns out it's even more difficult with this little one (she'll be 18 months on 3/6/07) because now I have to "protect" her from the two older ones who either love to play with her or want her out of their way. Also, there are the dangers that lurk in their rooms and the rest of the house due to toys that are constantly taken out and never put away. It's actually more difficult this time around!!!

sassijen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassijen Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:09pm
post #17 of 20

No they didn't get upset tummies they shared with the dog. And yes it will be a great memory. My 9 yr old told me today that maybe someday she can start decorating cakes too. I told her to watch for the little cake monsters (her 4 yr old sis, and the dog).

Nathalie1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nathalie1970 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 20

My son loves to play with fondant when I'm decorating my cakes. And there's TV!!! I love that option!! icon_biggrin.gif He also loves roses. But doesn't eat them anymore because he knows how much work it is to make them. I let him do one himself (he's almost 8 )
But the most of the decorating I do in the evening and early night.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 20

I have two dogs who both get a big rawhide bone to chew on when I bake. It keeps them occupied for hours!!!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:51pm
post #20 of 20

I don't do any big or elaborate cakes so my timetable may not apply to you, but: I usually bake in the mornings after DD (age 8 ) goes to school, then make & color my BC in the early afternoon when DS (4) goes to school, then I'll put everything together at night when the kids are in bed. Sometimes I will make & color the BC the night before, depending on how much I need & what else I'll need to do the next day. When the cakes are cooling and/or if they're too big to go in a plastic cake carrier, I put them on top of the fridge so the dogs can't reach them.

DD loves to help, so depending on what the cake is for I decorate in the afternoon & let her do some too. She also likes to practice on the practice sheets.

-Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%