Anyone From Australia?

Lounge By melissaanne Updated 18 Dec 2006 , 10:03pm by nicolevoorhout

melissaanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaanne Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 5:53am
post #1 of 135

Hi I was just wondering how many people are from my end of the world?

134 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 6:01am
post #2 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaanne

Hi I was just wondering how many people are from my end of the world?

Im in Melbourne, where are you??

Nati

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 6:03am
post #3 of 135

I'm in Western Australia in a small country town in the middle of nowhere.

edited to add that boonenati (above) has been SO helpful. All of the members here are lovely and are always willing to help. *dance*

BUT one thing to be careful of........don't forget that American measurements are different to ours. Thanks to SquirrellyCakes for reminding me about that.....

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 135

I'm not from Australia but I have to say I love Australia. DH and I visited several places in Oz, most east coast, for our honeymoon. I'm so glad we did it because it is the most talked about vacation for us. We were going to go back on our 5 year anniversary but I think we're looking at NZ now.

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 135

Hallo there!

i'm from Australia but i'm living in asia for the time being. just came back from my melb holiday/visit family and bought a small box load of cake decorating goodies...the only one shop here charges you an arm and a leg for specialty stuff. I just discovered the Modern Weddings and Bride to be Cake magazines and love them! ( i've only begun cake decorating this year) thumbs_up.gif

melissaanne Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 11:13am
post #6 of 135

Hi Guys,
Sorry had to travel inter-state for Christmas. I am in Melbourne, Doncaster. I just wondered how many of us know about this site. I only found it by chance.
Merry Christmas to you all,
Mel

beany Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 4:03am
post #7 of 135

I found this website accidentally aswell. But I am SO glad that I did!

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 9:24am
post #8 of 135

also from OZ. I am in Bexley, Sydney. Hubby works full time, me part time with 3 kids and recently started a small home cake decorating business called DAZZLING CAKES. I stumbled across the site too and visit regularly now. Good to know there are other aussies around.

cakewiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewiz Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 9:58am
post #9 of 135

Hi everyone, I'm from NSW Central Coast. I only found this site by accident also. It's been great so far, everyone is soo friendly.

melissaanne Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 12:07am
post #10 of 135

Hi! Happy New Year! I was wondering how you went about setting up your business'? I am probably just at a stage where I could consider doing it. I would not have a clue about any of the regulations in Australia though..what have you found?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 4:40am
post #11 of 135

Welcome to CC Ya'll!! I love Australia!! DH has been there 2 times. He's in Air Force. I have never been but want to go so bad!!! What a beautiful country!! Glad you found CC.

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 5:08am
post #12 of 135

Hi Melissaanne,

I contacted my local council and there are a billion regulations to satisfy them, such as seperate handwashing basin, the material the benchtops are made of, required distance of the bottom of the cupboards to the floor. So many that I stopped reading. Also zoning issues - using residential premises for business. I'm sorry I can't be more informative, when I get around to it I plan to call them to find out more.

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 5:20am
post #13 of 135

Hi Guys,

I'm in Warranwood, Victoria, which is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I stumbled across this site a couple of weeks ago and haven't been off it much since. thumbs_up.gif

I've been Making cakes since I was about 8, but I only really got the cake decorating bug when my daughter was born in 1997. I fiddled around for a while until I found a Debbie Brown book and decided that was something I needed to try.

Since then(3 years ago) I've spent countless hours and many hundreds of dollars, playing with cakes.

I love doing it most of the time, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to make money out of it. icon_cry.gif

beany Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 10:10am
post #14 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjmc

I love doing it most of the time, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to make money out of it. icon_cry.gif

franjmc,
I've seen your cakes and OMG you could definitely sell them. I especially love your forever friends cake.
Have you ever thought about having a shopfront or a home-based business? You could do it, for sure!

boonenati Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 10:18am
post #15 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by beany

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjmc

franjmc,
I've seen your cakes and OMG you could definitely sell them. I especially love your forever friends cake.
Have you ever thought about having a shopfront or a home-based business? You could do it, for sure!

Beany
I've told her the same thing : )
Her cakes are spectacular!!!
She'd have no problem selling them
Nati

beany Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 10:25am
post #16 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by redred

I contacted my local council and there are a billion regulations to satisfy them

In WA, you first need to get the licensing rules from the Small Business Development Corp. After you get the rules you need to contact your local council. Each council might have different rules regarding food premises at home. In WA, you can't use custards or cream fillings in your cakes if you are using your domestic kitchen, BUT you can get council approval to turn your loungeroom etc into a commercial kitchen.

You need public liability insurance because people will be coming to your house. You also need product liability insurance because you cannot list the ingredients anywhere on the cake. (people might suffer with allergies etc. )

Anyway, you'll need to register your business name with the Minister for Fair Trading. That costs money and you also need to pay your council a fee for submitting an application to set up your business.

I got this info from a lady in my area that does cake decorating from home. The rules are probably different for each state so it's probably best to check with your own council first.

EDITED to add that I'm not sure if insurance is compulsory, or if it's "strongly suggested".

melissaanne Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 4:52am
post #17 of 135

I thought I read somewhere that you could earn $5000 a year as a hobbist and not need to open a small bussiness, which would be a good way to start out.

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 12:18pm
post #18 of 135

Thanks Beany. Just to add to that, folks in NSW also need to notify NSW Health that they are operating as a food producing premises, which means that inspectors can drop in unannounced.

http://www3.health.nsw.gov.au/nafsis/

gcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcc Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 11:14pm
post #19 of 135

Hi to all Aussies.

After looking at the spectacular cakes done by Franjmc, I've been searching for the Favourite Character Cakes by Debbie Brown.
Just wanted to know if you have found it here in Australia?
I've found 2 other books from her but not this one.
What I want to try is the forever friends cake for my Daughter & Son-in-law's wedding anniversay in May.
Any help would be appreciated.
Karen

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 8:59am
post #20 of 135

Redred... do you know the process from go to wow in NSW... if so please let me know

gcc Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 12:44pm
post #21 of 135

Hi everyone,

I am in Perth, Western Australia.
I am married with two children. I have been fortunate to be a SAHM since my children were born. I have a married daughter & a son who has just this past month moved to Sydney for his first job after University in Investment Banking.

I am interested in most crafts and have tried my hand at many different things over the years.I am especially interested in flower arranging but my most enjoyable pastime is cooking.
I am a cake baker and have a small clientele of people who come to buy small specialty cakes that I make for them. Mostly small European style cakes.
Since learning the computer and being able to access the internet it has opened up a whole new world of cake making and decorating to me.
I am simply amazed with the talent and creativity of some on this board and others. It has whetted my appetite to at least give it a try.

I would also like at this point to thank all who have helped me with answers to my many questions and requests and will continue to join you every day to enjoy my passion.

Karen

gcc Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 12:52pm
post #22 of 135

Hi I don't know what happened but I tried to post the above post to What do you do??? and it ended up here. I have tried to edited it but am having trouble doing so.
Help???
Karen

boonenati Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen52

Hi I don't know what happened but I tried to post the above post to What do you do??? and it ended up here. I have tried to edited it but am having trouble doing so.
Help???
Karen

Karen
I would say that you clicked on "Post Reply" instead of "New Topic". If you click "Post Reply" whatever you write will end up in the post you're currently looking at. You get the option of a brand hew post and location when you click on "New Topic"
Cheers
Nati

gcc Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 10:29pm
post #24 of 135

Hi Nati,

Thanks, that is what I did now that I think back. Sorry everyone icon_redface.gif
Oh well, maybe someone will edit it for me??
Thanks for your help though.

By the way the morning tea I PMd you about was a total success, looks like I will have an ongoing order at least once a month to start with.
Thanks for your help there too.

Karen

boonenati Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:37am
post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen52

Hi Nati,

Thanks, that is what I did now that I think back. Sorry everyone icon_redface.gif
Oh well, maybe someone will edit it for me??
Thanks for your help though.

By the way the morning tea I PMd you about was a total success, looks like I will have an ongoing order at least once a month to start with.
Thanks for your help there too.

Karen

Karen
That's great news!! Congratulations.
nati

gcc Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 5:43am
post #26 of 135

Thanks Nati,
I'm so excited. Once I sorted out the pricing issue in my own mind I was okay. I don't know what it is with me about charging people. I think I've given cakes away as samples and gifts for so long I have a hard time charging.
It was a large order for me so I was very pleased. My son-in-law rang me to say how well received the goodies were so then I could relax.

Karen.

stefi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefi Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:21pm
post #27 of 135

Hi to all here. I live in NSW, Sydney for 3 years now. Originally I am coming from Europe. Pastry chef by profession.
This site is great, I discover it while looking for some recipes and now this is my favourite place to look because I love cake decorating, even thou most of my work is continental cake baking which has very different style of decorating.
I am very keen to learn and make more Australian style cakes.
Looking forward chatting with you all soon!
Stefi

gcc Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:32pm
post #28 of 135

Hi Stefi,
I will be interested in what you have to show us, especially coming from Europe.
Karen

stefi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefi Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 1:34am
post #29 of 135

Hi Karen,

I do not have many photos because I have been working for Hotels and restaurants and we were not taking any photos, but still, I do have some done privatley (very few compare to some people here) but I'll post them here one day.
I am about to move soon, have small baby, and baking suply for Tea House regulary so there is not much time, but I promise to do it soon!

Stefi

Dolly_Bird26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolly_Bird26 Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 10:12pm
post #30 of 135

hey everyone,

i'm an aussie too. born and breed on the sunny gold coast, queensland. i wouldn't want to live anywhere else. i stumbled onto this site after searching for cake decorating ideas and well i have never left lol. hope you are all having as much fun as i am here.

bye

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%