socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 1:44pm
post #61 of 135

No worries Steffi!

Sandra

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:55pm
post #62 of 135

mmm did I miss something.... who are you talking to???

socake Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 12:00am
post #63 of 135

You didn't miss much, we cleared things up!

It's all good now!!

dky Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:17am
post #64 of 135

Good, I am glad

I thought I had put my foot in it again. tapedshut.gif .. I so often do.... but I couldn't remember being the one this time....

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 11:55am
post #65 of 135

Hi guys from Brisbane!
Hey gcc, I get most of my debbie brown books from ebay. My fav is a seller called caseysatticauctions, and they were about to open an online store. Otherwise I have bought some from o/seas but they cost more with shipping. Keep an eye on ebay.
I love all the chatting I have just read all the posts, we sound like a big aussie brady bunch! icon_lol.gif
Big wave to all!
Keira

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:57am
post #66 of 135

I realise this thread is a few months old, but I'm a Sydney girl and wanted to say Hi. Have found the whole Copha is not US shortening information very helpful. I've been making cakes for a few years but have always wanted to do a sugarcraft course and am finally doing one, have finally managed to learn how to make a rose, VERY exciting!

I've found Cake Deco (a Melbourne site) to be very good. There's also Bakery Sugar Craft in Sydney, I like to visit them but didn't have a very good experience ordering online from them.

Keep up the Oz info and where you get products from, it's all very helpful.

Cheers
Nicole

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:18am
post #67 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolevoorhout

I've found Cake Deco (a Melbourne site) to be very good. There's also Bakery Sugar Craft in Sydney, I like to visit them but didn't have a very good experience ordering online from them.

Hi Nicole
I have also had problems with Bakery Sugar Craft, but i keep buying from them because they have things a LOT cheaper than other places. Even after paying shipping. Their boards are the cheapest i've seen around.
Anyway i've found that if you specify clearly in the notes what you want they usually comply. Things like :
1. Please do not send order if all items are not available, (Please call to confirm)
2. Please ensure all boards are packaged properly as damaged boards have been sent in the past
etc....
Yes, it's like talking to someone that has NEVER sent anything by courier and has not idea about things being fragile icon_wink.gif
Anyway whenever there has been an error, or something was broken or damaged, they replaced it straight away. So im still happy to buy from them. CakeDeco I can walk in and buy stuff, but it's soooo hard to find anything!!! Still the guy always tries to be helpful in finding what i want.

I used to buy stuff from Cupids in Newcastle, but their website was very difficult to get around.

cheers
Nati

dky Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:28am
post #68 of 135

Same experience for me with BAKERY SUGARCRAFT although some things are worth while. Delivery time and cost is really good so I use them for some things.

They are like most big places, they don't have a lot of time for us little people.

I buy boxes from a place called Nandas in Bexley as she is one of the few places that does not require me to buy them in bulk (ie 100 of the one size) We have no storage so allowing me to buy them when i need them is great, especially because we don't use one size for all our cakes. It can be so varied.

For me the cheapest place for boards is Hollywood cakes, they are super cheap but you must have an abn to buy from them. They are also not the friendliest and almost impossible to find anything. Must be similar to the one nati mentioned above.

It is set up like a warehouse and they prepare all bulk orders, the warehouse is not really designed for people to walk in and look around like a shop. I do because its 5 mins up the road. They have no prices on anything and no logical system so I end up asking lots of questions and they get frustrated.

I have purchased from cupids when I was in a jam but the website is horrible.

Cheapest place for me for AMERICOLOR is cake deco. Shortening I get from Carolyns sugar art services... again little bit sloppy with orders but they generally fix their errors.

karen

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:29am
post #69 of 135

love seeing all the Aussies on here and it's great to find out where I can get stuff. I am a transplanted American ( but only a few months left until a dual citizen) so usually get stuff sent to my mom and have her send it on (kinda like shop the states only more personal. icon_biggrin.gif )

I'm up in Hervey Bay, QLD and am interested in entering the Fraser Coast show. I'm only new at this cake decorating so am not sure whether to wait another year or so. Anyway, how many of you have entered competitions and what tricks/tips do you have?

thanks,
Tamra

dky Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:34am
post #70 of 135

we are not up to show standard yet but we would one day like to give it a go.

My suggestion is that if you know of a show, get some info re they type of entries and give it a whirl. Experience and practice can only make you better.

let us know how you get on and lots and lots of luck to you.

karen

nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:44am
post #71 of 135

Hey Nati, Karen and Tamra, thanks for the warm welcome.

BSC did ring me regarding my order, however, 1/3 they didn't stock anymore, (then why have it to order) the other 1/3 was out of stock (no we'll send an extra order when we get it in, just try ordering again in a month) and when I did get the kilo of icing I ordered wasn't included, the other things I ordered must have made the box weigh like 100g if and she had the audacity to ask me if I was sure the kg of icing wasn't in the box, well I did open and check but I was pretty sure! They are only about 20 minutes or so away from me, so I'll go there if I need anything, but ordering on line was disappointing.

I'm pretty much self taught up to know, will probably sit down tonight and upload some cake pics, as I said though currently involved in sugarcraft class, so most of my cakes are home made templates, betty crocker icing and some kids lollies! I can do some amazing things with those things! I will post my Octopus and Doggy cakes they are the closest I've come to any kind of modelling I used the cake fondant to make them because I hadn't heard of modelling paste before 5 weeks ago!! icon_biggrin.gif

My signature though is my brownie cake recipe, I'd love to share it but it's a secret recipe. I do all my nieces and nephews cakes and while it's tradition for them to pick what they want, shape/character/theme wise, it has to be a brownie cake.... next year though with all the sugar crafting I'm learning I'm hoping they'll let me experiment a bit. I have to do a 3D car in January and that one is going to have to be a more stable cake or I won't be able to carve it!

Anyway nice to meet you all.... I'll be checking out your pics later and I'm sure there will be many a question to come!

Cheers
Nicole

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:54am
post #72 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:

HI Nati,
I have only bought from bakerysugarcraft once recently for the first time. I agree that you have to specify clearly in the notes what you want they usually comply. They did ring me first to say certain items were not in stock. However, when I got my parcel, i found that they 'over charged' me on an item. I rang and they said that the price had gone up and they haven't yet reflect the price on their website.

Also, the fondant they sent were very near expiry date and when i rang them, they said it was still ok to use. Becuase of the hassle of sending back and I needed to use them soon after, I accepted what they said (but wasn't happy about it). So, if you do order fondant from them, please DON'T FORGET TO ASK THEM TO SEND YOU THE FRESHEST FONDANT.

I will order from them again as some of their prices are very reasonable.

aizuodangao Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:59am
post #73 of 135

Welcome Keira, nicole and tamra icon_smile.gif

I am in sydney and i love making kids novelty cakes. well, I should say, my son's cakes.

nice to see you all here.

boonenati Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:28am
post #74 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizuodangao

Also, the fondant they sent were very near expiry date and when i rang them, they said it was still ok to use.

Oh that is sooooooo annoying!!! I would have told them that i needed to use it later and if they expected me to keep it then i would want a discount or something on the next order. heheheheheh

Quote:

So, if you do order fondant from them, please DON'T FORGET TO ASK THEM TO SEND YOU THE FRESHEST FONDANT.

I actually mainly buy things like CMC, glue, dummies and cake boards from BSC, my fondant i get from Fina foods, i use FondX most of the time, they sell a 4.5kg bucket for $19.95, which is a fantastic price, Cake Deco sells it for $35!!! I also buy Orchard on occassion, mainly red, and green, and i buy that directly from Orchard, if you order 8 boxes (3kg each) they send it to you for free. Orchard has always been great, their service is always consistent.

cheers
Nati

nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:27am
post #75 of 135

You guys need to tell me more about this Fondx icing.... what's so fab about it, the taste? Usage? Smoother than normal fondant? The fact that it comes ready made?? Do tell! icon_biggrin.gif

boonenati Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:33am
post #76 of 135
Quote:

You guys need to tell me more about this Fondx icing.... what's so fab about it, the taste? Usage? Smoother than normal fondant? The fact that it comes ready made?? Do tell! icon_biggrin.gif

for me it's all of the above. I have friends that have tried it and have a really hard time using it and love Bakels instead, but i just can't go past the flavour of FondX. The other week i made these really simple vanilla cupcakes (my vanilla buttercake made with margarine),and i simply stuck a circle cut out of FondX on top and an edible image, sooo soooo simple, but goodness me, did they taste fab!!! YUMMO!!!
ok im a self confessed fondX fanatic icon_biggrin.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:05am
post #77 of 135

Hi all

I'm from Sydney too. I've been using BSC a few times now and ordered online from them once with no hassles but I only live 20 minutes away from them.

They told me last week that their admin basically did a clean up of all their inventory so pretty much everything has been wiped from their data base. It took 20 minutes for me to buy about 6 things. Another customer was buying novelties for Christmas and he had about 50+ and the clerk was entering each one in separately!! He was still waiting after I had paid and left which was about 40 minutes!!

Anyways, it's great to see a lot of Aussies here. Im only brand new to decorating and just started three weeks ago. Everything I am learning at the moment is from tips on this site.

I have been using Copha to substitute for shortening as I wasn't aware it's not the same thing. Is that really bad? It actually makes the icing turn out really nice.

Cheers
Mary

nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:28am
post #78 of 135

Hey Mary,

That's a really good question. I've just read that it apparently makes the buttercream taste really bad. But I was confused as you know there's a recipe on it for making coco pop crispies, and I thought well if you can use it for that and they don't taste bad why does the buttercream. Seeing you've actually used it what does the buttercream taste like?

Nicole

maryak Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:55am
post #79 of 135

Hey Nicole

I've actually sold cakes using Copha in the Buttercream and get rave reviews for the taste! So I'm still going to use it in my BC.

nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:08am
post #80 of 135

Mary,

Interesting I will have to try it know myself to make up my own mind. Do you just straight substitute or have you developed a different type of recipe?

Cheers
Nicole

maryak Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:11am
post #81 of 135

Nicole,

Nope, I just straight substitute. Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Mary

aizuodangao Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:57am
post #82 of 135

[/quote]
Oh that is sooooooo annoying!!! I would have told them that i needed to use it later and if they expected me to keep it then i would want a discount or something on the next order. heheheheheh

Oh Nati, if only you were there to advise me to say that...........I'll know what to say next time if this ever happens again. Hope not!

[/quote]
I actually mainly buy things like CMC, glue, dummies and cake boards from BSC, my fondant i get from Fina foods, i use FondX most of the time, they sell a 4.5kg bucket for $19.95, which is a fantastic price, Cake Deco sells it for $35!!! I also buy Orchard on occassion, mainly red, and green, and i buy that directly from Orchard, if you order 8 boxes (3kg each) they send it to you for free. Orchard has always been great, their service is always consistent.

cheers
Nati[/quote]

I love to get dummies (that's the fake foam thing which replaces the real cake , right?).

Where's Fina Foods ? (pl give me their email, web address etc)
How much is a box of 3kg Orchard and how much is a box of 8?

Yes, please tell me more about FondX.

Sorry about all these questions Nati icon_smile.gif

violet

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:00pm
post #83 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRisser

I'm up in Hervey Bay, QLD and am interested in entering the Fraser Coast show. I'm only new at this cake decorating so am not sure whether to wait another year or so. Anyway, how many of you have entered competitions and what tricks/tips do you have?

thanks,
Tamra

Hi Tamra,

If you go into a competition not just to win something, but to learn skills and as a way to force yourself to practice, it is a great experience. Some tips are:
(1) Detail detail detail. In one competition, I thought this one particular cake was superb - totally original, brilliantly executed. But the judges bypassed all that and honed in on a slight fray in the ribbon around the cake board. It was like they couldn't see past this fray. If you're covering a cake and think "it's just a tiny crack, they won't see it", think again!
(2) You will get points for difficult techniques but only if these techniques are near perfectly executed.
(3) Include various techniques. In Australia it seems that judges love extension work (although personally I think it looks a bit passe).
(4) Stick rigorously to the rules.

Good luck if you enter, but if you don't feel ready, there's always next year!

aizuodangao Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:01pm
post #84 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryak

Hey Nicole

I've actually sold cakes using Copha in the Buttercream and get rave reviews for the taste! So I'm still going to use it in my BC.

Wow, i al thought copha is the same as shortening. Glad it tasted nice. Are you able to please share the buttercream recipe with us?

violet

boonenati Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:08pm
post #85 of 135
Quote:

Quote:

Oh Nati, if only you were there to advise me to say that...........I'll know what to say next time if this ever happens again. Hope not!

Quote:

cheers
Nati

I love to get dummies (that's the fake foam thing which replaces the real cake , right?).

Yup that's correct : )

Quote:

Where's Fina Foods ? (pl give me their email, web address etc)
How much is a box of 3kg Orchard and how much is a box of 8?

Fina Foods is in Victoria, they are a wholesaler, and as far as I know they dont ship interstate. They sell flour, chocolate, fondant and other catering ingredients. This is their website
http://www.finafoods.com.au

Quote:

Yes, please tell me more about FondX.
Sorry about all these questions Nati icon_smile.gif
violet

Violet, I dont mind the questions at all : )
I dunno what else i can tell you about fondX, it has a tangy taste, just very mild tang and it also had a vanilla flavour. I find it easy to use, but i have heard from more than one person that it tears. I havent really had this problem. It's a completely animal free product and it's also Kosher.
hm, that's about it
icon_smile.gif
Nati

socake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:33pm
post #86 of 135
Quote:

Hi all

I'm from Sydney too. I've been using BSC a few times now and ordered online from them once with no hassles but I only live 20 minutes away from them.

We must almost be neighbours! I live about 25 mins away from them!

gcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcc Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:53pm
post #87 of 135

Hi Nati,

I was wondering if you have a photo of the cupcakes you made with the cutouts of fondx and the edible image on them?

Karen

boonenati Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #88 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcc

Hi Nati,

I was wondering if you have a photo of the cupcakes you made with the cutouts of fondx and the edible image on them?

Karen

Karen
Im sorry but i didnt take a picture, they didnt have any actual work on them, so i didnt really think to photograph them.
But that reminds me, I have been getting my edible images from a place that sells them at a very reasonable price and if you have an ABN the prices are even better. This is their website
http://www.homebaker.com.au

cheers
Nati

nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:50pm
post #89 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by socake

Quote:

Hi all

We must almost be neighbours! I live about 25 mins away from them!

Hahahaha Sounds like it, small world isn't it! I'm towards Parramatta way, what about you girls?

By the way I've been sneaking peaks at your photo galleries, there are too many amazing ones to comment on, you guys set the bar high!

gcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcc Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:59pm
post #90 of 135

Hi Nati,

The trouble with me is that I work better from a visual example.
How hard can cutting a circle of fondant be eh? LOL

Thanks so much for the website for the edible images. I will definitely order from them

I love all these Aussie websites. It makes it a lot easier than buying from o/seas.

Take care,
Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%