Wilton Gumpaste And Fondant Class

Decorating By Sugarbean Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm by redbird

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:52am
post #1 of 54

Here is my wilton Fondant and Gumpaste class cake. I must say I'm very disappointed in the actual content of the class. I felt sorry for the people who didn't know what they are doing, it was so basic. Poor design of class time IMHO. I think all of the techniques could have been taught in 2 classes, instead of 4. Or they should have added some more flowers etc.

Anyways, I thought the final cake choices were not my style, so I did my own. I was doing to put some ribbons around it, but decided why ruin a good thing icon_wink.gif

Thanks for looking.

53 replies
mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:57am
post #2 of 54

Your TOO fast!! I just walked in the door...not fair! I'll take pictures and post in a few minutes...

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:03am
post #3 of 54

Hi!
Beautiful cake!! I agree - none of the designs are my style either but my instructor asked me to follow the designs as laid out. I think I will still make a couple of small changes. I'll post mine tomorrow after class.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:08am
post #4 of 54

Hum...our instructor said we could do whatever we wanted as long as she could see a few of the techniques...I used 3...

icon_wink.gif

cake-angel Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:20am
post #5 of 54

I think my instructor is just more of a by the book kind of person. No big deal as I am using it as a test of my fillings and flavors for my brother's wedding. Still I would have loved to do a lot more with it. I am going to do the carnation cake but I refuse to put that heart border on the bottom. I thinnk I will do pearls instead. I don't think she will fail me for it!!

mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:52am
post #6 of 54

I agree with you guys...this course could have been done in a couple of nights for sure...or there could have been a little more botanical content to keep us busy. I think us "over achievers" were looking for a little more in depth course than we got... icon_wink.gif Hopefully Wilton will be able to gather some input from the students taking this first round of gumpaste courses, and be able to improve on it a little for all the students to come, as it WAS a very expensive class (by the time ALL supplies were purchased) for what we got out of it.
LL
LL
LL

mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:56am
post #7 of 54

Oh yeah...PS...I really love that cake L!

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:03am
post #8 of 54

Hey you guys have a Calla Lillies,... was that taught in class or is that something you both out of coincidence added... ????

I have my final on Monday night. I have no intention of following any of the book examples! I'm a rogue student and intend to stay that way... you'll see the techniques taught but in my own design! icon_biggrin.gif

I did like the course but I agree that I wish there was more floral content. They duplicated info from Course 3 so you didn't have to take Coures 2 and 3 to be able to take the Fondant & Gumpaste class. Just my two cents worth...

Love seeing everyone's photos on this!

- Paula

mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:08am
post #9 of 54

SELF TAUGHT calla lilies...
Rogue student...I like that alot!! That's totally me too...you can teach me your wilton ways but I will never conform to them all ha ha ha!!!....LOL

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:09am
post #10 of 54

well despite it being an 'easy' class for you, you both have gorgeous samples, great work !

mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:14am
post #11 of 54

Thank you

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:17am
post #12 of 54

I must say (and I'll probably get shot for saying this), but at the instructors meeting last summer, most of us couldn't get those techniques down quite so and hence none of our flowers looked anywhere as nice as yours do!!

mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:39am
post #13 of 54

Thank you, thank you Wonderbuns!! That's very flattering

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:51am
post #14 of 54

Your flowers turned out great! I have to say that i was disappointed in the course as well.
So much so that i couldn't bring myself to drive the 2.5 hours in the snow to get to class. I really enjoyed the first three courses and my instructor was great i don't blame her for the course outline! But...
I thought it was to long of a drive to learn nothing. It definaltely could've been taught in 2 classes!

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 54

You know ladies, you should let Wilton know that. Write them and tell them you took the class and this is your thought, that it could have been taught in two classes -- what you liked (specifically) and what you didn't like about the class. Wilton loves input from people.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 54

I have to agree I wanted more flowers and less selling to me. icon_rolleyes.gif
But my final came out alright and it was fun so I guess I did get my money's worth.
Here's my final cake.
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_227263.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I have to agree I wanted more flowers and less selling to me. icon_rolleyes.gif
But my final came out alright and it was fun so I guess I did get my money's worth.
Here's my final cake.
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_227263.html

2sdae -- I just saw your cake, it's INCREDIBLE!!! What a very beautiful cake you did!! WOW!!! I'm sooo impressed!! thumbs_up.gif

2sdae Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm
post #18 of 54

icon_redface.gif Thanks. I really wanted this class cake to come together with as many of the techniques as I could muster without being gaudy or looking like I slapped a bunch of stuff on it. I had fun with it. thumbs_up.gif

mthiberge Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 54

Great job 2sdae, I love the color of your cake, it turned out lovely!

2sdae Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 12:37am
post #20 of 54

Thank you. I remixed it several times before I could get the right color...or at least the one in my head! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cake-angel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:25am
post #21 of 54

Wonderful looking cake 2sdae!

cake-angel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:30am
post #22 of 54

Hello everyone. Here it is -- My final cake. I rushed it a little so there is a cutout out of line with the rest but oh well!! I was asked to use one of the 4 final cake patterns and I mostly did but I could not stand the hearts around the bottom of the pictured cake! Here is my version.
LL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:40am
post #23 of 54

I have to say, all the cakes you posted are beautiful. You all did fantastic work. I just completed Course 1 and an now able to take the Fondant and Gumpaste course. My only problem, which I'm trying to work out, is that it will take place on Tuesday evenings and I have to make sure DH is able to get home from work on time (early for him).

I hope I can make the arrangements. I don't have much experience with gumpaste - just used it once, so I feel I will learn something from this course.

cake-angel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:49am
post #24 of 54

If you just completed course 1 you will probably find it more interesting than a lot of the rest of us did. A bunch of us have had all three courses before this came out and after Course three - this was a little anticlimatic. You will still enjoy course three after taking the gumpaste course as there is more to learn in that course beyond what you will learn in the F&G course. Have fun!

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:05am
post #25 of 54

I'm getting ready to take the class, and all I really want is the kit and the book!!! I would rather teach myself sometimes. I think after reading this i'm going to go to the first class get the book and no go back!!! I can do the cakes and stuff on my own time and at my own speed. I'm glad I read this. I'm glad I chose to take the class when my Michaels was doing the buy the kit get the class free thing. Thanks for all the comments it really helps.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:10pm
post #26 of 54

Well, I was thinking of taking this class, but after reading all your comments it does not sound like it is worth my time or money.

mthiberge Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:29pm
post #27 of 54

Great job on your cake Cindy!! I love your carnations, they really are beautiful and I like the bead border too...great pick!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:44pm
post #28 of 54

thumbs_up.gif I will be finishing up my last week of this course this Thursday.....and I can honestly say that I learned a lot about FONDANT and GUMPASTE! In my Course 3, years ago.the only fondant I worked with was the Clown cake, if anyone remembers it. I like what I have learned....and it's given me tons of confidence in myself to try to work with the fondant and gumpaste a bit more. JMO. icon_smile.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 54

I just signed up for the class for next month. Only thing is, I don't want to buy the kit as I have everything and then some. Michaels couldn't tell me what was included in the kit as they didn't have any in stock. Can someone please tell me what is included in the kit so I can compare with what I have so I don't duplicate items? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Lil

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:51pm
post #30 of 54

The Kit includes:

Round Cut-Outs Set
Leaf Cut-Outs Set
Heart Cut-Outs Set
Daisy Cut-Outs Set
Daisy Cookie Cutter
Thin Shaping Foam
Ball & Veining Tool