Decorating By Sugarbean Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm by redbird

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:57pm
post #31 of 54

Beautiful cake!!! Nice job!!!

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:42pm
post #32 of 54

Thanks for the quick reply peajay66. AS I suspected, I do have everything and then some so no need for me to run out & buy anything. Thanks again.

Lil

chyana66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyana66 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 11:09pm
post #33 of 54

I really have to agree with the majority on this one. I was SO looking forward this class after having completed Levels I, II, and III, and what a disappointment. I was really hoping for more flowers...and yes, they definately could have done this in 2 nights. What I would have suggested was to take the fondant part and do it in Level III...there's not that much of it really. And then add WAY more florals to this one. It would be great if they actually based a course on the Gumpaste flower kit that they already sell. I don't know about you but while it's nice to see it in a book, the real life demonstration is what does it for me!

Anyway, this was my final....our teacher was very flexible with what we did as long as we used a couple of the techniques learned in the class...

[/img]
LL

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:51am
post #34 of 54

Wow! That is a beautiful cake chyana!! I think I might even like fantasy flowers in white!! I wasn't crazy about them in pink. Thay look very elegant and classy on your cake.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:01am
post #35 of 54

To Lyndsay and all the others who posted they were disappointed in the class... first of all, all your cakes blew mine right out of the water. I, like you, did my own thing but you guys took it up another notch! Fantastic jobs on those cakes.

One other thing I want to say is that you should write Wilton and let them know your opinion of the class.......... I did that today, along with what my suggestions would be. From what my teacher told me, not only are the instructors to give an evaluation of the course, but students are welcome to send their comments.

Again, phenominal job on all the cakes I have seen on this post!

deb

chyana66 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:27am
post #36 of 54

Ditto Deb...and thanks cake-angel. Everyone's cakes are fabulous! I'm definately going to write Wilton and I hope everyone else does too!

cake-angel Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:39am
post #37 of 54

I am planning on writing Wilton as well. My instructor is awesome but the course material was less than I expected. After I found out it was created so that people who Course 1 can take it I understood why they set it up that way. I know they gear towards people with less experience but when I write I am strongly suggessting they develop a flowers course focused on gumpaste utilizing metal cutters. I know there would be a huge following!! I also need to write a letter because recently I have come across 2 items that were less than quality. My 20" roller (and the roller of 3 others in my class) warped so badly that we couldn't even roll with them anymore. My Large Wilton leveler didn't cut level either. Booo hooo! I really wanted it to work for the 18" cake I have coming up.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:01am
post #38 of 54

Hey guys...

So I've been thinking, and chatting with one of the Wilton instructors. And I know we are all dissappointed with the class, and wish there were more flowers, but...I don' think it is totally logical for Wilton to do this type of class.

1) They don't even sell metal flower cutters (and their plastic ones stink)
2) I already have a HUGE rolling cart of things I need to successfully make a flower. Now the average person would not be able to afford all the "tools" required to make flowers.

So in order to have this class, the course kit would be quite expensive because of all the things you need.

For example to do a basic orchid you would need 3-4 different petal dusts and tools to apply that petal dust. Now there are HUNDREDS of other flowers in the orchid family, and they all would require different colours. KWIM?

So I doubt that a all flower wilton class will ever become Main stream..

icon_smile.gif My 2 cents...

chyana66 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:12pm
post #39 of 54

Hey cake-angel! I had the same problem with my roller! I returned it and got another and it was the same!! I'm so frustrated.

Lindsay...as far as a flower course becoming "mainstream", ya, I doubt it would. There are a limited number of us who want to specialize in this sort of thing. HOWEVER, I think there are enough of us to warrant running a course like this at least a couple times a year?? I would not have a problem using the "crappy plastic" cutters in the Wilton Gumpaste kit if only to get ideas and learn basic techniques. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of alternatives out there for learning this stuff in some areas of the country and having heard everything here and just from people in my area I think it would be worthwhile.

cake-angel Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:34pm
post #40 of 54

I think so too. The plastic cutters are a good start for someone who wants to see if they like gumpaste.

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:55pm
post #41 of 54

Ok Ladies...I've been following this thread, as I too am taking the fondant/gumpaste course. Great cakes so far!! I just finished up my final cake and thought I'd post for feedback...the 4 cakes we were supposed to choose from were just not my style, so I modified one to be more "me"...please let me know what you think!!
LL

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:01am
post #42 of 54

that pretty little cake just screams SPRING!!!! I like your take on it. I also really like how you made your daisies different colors.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:13am
post #43 of 54

Hi Ladies! I am a Wilton Instructor and would highly recommend that everyone give their feedback to Wilton. Unfortunately all my F&G students feel the same as you all in that they were all looking so forward to learning more flowers and advanced techniques. I will be asking them to email Wilton as well. Without your input Wilton cannot improve their product. I as an instructor can only relay the info, it really means more coming straight from the student. Thank you!!!!! And I'm sorry that some of you all werent' happy with the new course, I do agree that the course 1 students will get a lot more out of the F&G than an advanced course 3 graduate icon_biggrin.gif I have given my F&G students the directions to do a gum paste shoe, a cala lily and a gum paste bow, but they still want more!!! ha ha

Thank you all for your input!!!!!!

2sdae Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:38am
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

Hi Ladies! I am a Wilton Instructor and would highly recommend that everyone give their feedback to Wilton. Unfortunately all my F&G students feel the same as you all in that they were all looking so forward to learning more flowers and advanced techniques. I will be asking them to email Wilton as well. Without your input Wilton cannot improve their product. I as an instructor can only relay the info, it really means more coming straight from the student. Thank you!!!!! And I'm sorry that some of you all werent' happy with the new course, I do agree that the course 1 students will get a lot more out of the F&G than an advanced course 3 graduate icon_biggrin.gif I have given my F&G students the directions to do a gum paste shoe, a cala lily and a gum paste bow, but they still want more!!! ha ha

Thank you all for your input!!!!!!

Well where were you in my class? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif J/K Our instructor was awesome, but if it weren't for cc I would be lost on so much deco stuff it isn't funny!!! YAY!!! Long live CC!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:44am
post #45 of 54

2sdae, Come on down to VA Beach!!! Bring some snow with you we could certainly use some, my home town is Paoli Ind (should I admit that!!! icon_surprised.gif ) Yes, CC has been wonderful for me as well, thought I knew it all till I discovered CC!!! ha ha I have learned SO MUCH just in the 2 weeks that I have joined!!!!

Happy Decorating!

2sdae Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:49am
post #46 of 54

VA, beach sounds good to me!!!! But no snow please!!!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gifthumbsdown.gif
Beach front sounds gooooood! But I have to agree, cc is awesome, and you can always find something you thought you knew but didn't know the whole story or a cool trick to!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakesbylindsay

So I've been thinking, and chatting with one of the Wilton instructors. And I know we are all dissappointed with the class, and wish there were more flowers, but...I don' think it is totally logical for Wilton to do this type of class....

...So in order to have this class, the course kit would be quite expensive because of all the things you need...

...So I doubt that a all flower wilton class will ever become Main stream..

icon_smile.gif My 2 cents...

I totally agree with you. Realisticly there isn't a way for Wilton to do an really advanced class for the prices they charge. Plus, you have to keep in mind the training of the instructors. For some of them they never worked with Gumpaste until the AIM meeting last summer, and that was only less than half a day of work.

I just don't see them being able to afford to train the thousands of instructrs they have to all teach the class.

You also have to consider what Gumpaste flower classes cost. I was looking into the Nic Lidge classes and for 2 days his classes are $225+ and he has some other classes (3/4 days) that cost as much as $595.

I say if you are really serious about learning gumpaste flowers you should save your money and take a flower class from a pro. You will pay alot more for it, but in the long run you will probably get more out of it. Plus you will be taking a class from someone that has been doing this for years, not just a little while.

This new class from Wilton is advanced fondant and intro to gumpaste. I feel that many people had high expectations and that because the class didn't meet them they are looking down on the class. While I don't totally understand the lay out of the class, I think that it does include many good techinques and some things that are worth while to learn.

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:24am
post #48 of 54

Hey all,..

I just posted my cake final in my gallery. Didn't want to chew up their disk space by posting another pic here. Tell me what you think. I wasn't pleased with my colors but the cake came out OK.

Again I will say I liked the class I did learn new tips and techniques but I would still like to see more flower content. I loved my instructor,... same one I had for the other three courses. However she did said this is sort of like an introduction to the fondant and gumpaste... something to get you coming back for more! Thus the reason they could offer it without taking the other three first.

Thanks for sharing.

- Paula

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:07am
post #49 of 54

allibopp5!!!!
I LOVE THAT CAKE!!! Great job, it's so springy!

gingersoave...wish you'd da been' teaching me...

mthiberge Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:17am
post #50 of 54

Sorry Texas...
I agree and I disagree.
I agree....I totally plan on saving my pennies and taking some Nicholas Lodge courses next spring as I believe that it is unrealistic to expect Wilton to pay for all of it's instuctors to bring them up to that kind of level on gumpaste flowers. After all they are a springboard for us to start learning about cake decorating and then it's up to us to find bigger and better outlets to better ourselves.
now I disagree...(IMHO)...There is nothing advanced fondant about this course (marbeling, fondant storage, and covering a cake board??), as we all know how to run cookie cutters and I paid close to 100$ canadian basically for a cookie cutter lesson (overlays, inlays and how to cut out a green circle?? seriously) and very basic gumpaste. I guess I was hoping for more new ideas and techniques from I company that helped give me my start instead of them pushing new products and old techniques.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:25am
post #51 of 54

I had mistakenly posted this message to a different thread about Wilton fondant, but thought it bears repeating on the subject. Here is (copied) the response I received from Wilton to my comments/suggestions on the Fondant/gumpaste class:

""Thank you for visiting the Wilton web site and for taking the time to
share your suggestions for Fondant & Gum Paste. Customer feedback is
vital as we work to improve our curriculum.

The new course was designed to be beginner level fondant and gum paste,
and we will try to better communicate this with future advertising to
avoid any disappointments in class. We are also working on more
advanced classes, so please do stay tuned to more new courses from
Wilton.

Best regards,

Ms. Shawn A. Broda""

Maybe they are finally listening and will in the future have a class for those of us who want a little mroe than the basics. I still encourage everyone to write Wilton about this class.

Debbie

mthiberge Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:06am
post #52 of 54

That is very good news! Thank you for sharing.

cake-angel Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:13am
post #53 of 54

Awesome!! I like the idea that they may be working on some more advanced courses. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I will still write in with my own comments as well.

redbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbird Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm
post #54 of 54

I'm taking this class in Sept.--my first one since I took Class 1 last Aug. It's the first chance I've had to take another class and I'm actually excited because of the comments posted on this thread. Not that I won't get to learn that many flower types, but that I'll get to learn more about fondant. I have tried a few fondant cakes so far on my own and they haven't been that great. I was worried that since I haven't taken 2 & 3 that these classes would be too hard but it sounds like it will be o.k. Incidently, my class is only three sessions long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%