Buttercream And Fondant - Help

Decorating By BarbaraK Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm by Gapi

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 17

Please could someone tell me if a cake iced with buttercream and has fondant decorations can be put in the fridge. Does the cold affect the fondant decorations? The cake is for tomorrow morning and I would like to know if I can do it tonight and put it into the fridge. Or should I ice it tonight and stick the fondant decorations on tomorrow morning?

Thanks
Barbara

16 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 17

If it is warm in the kitchen, when you remove it from the fridge, you can get condensation. It should be OK if the room is cool. If you have any doubts, wait and add the decorations, after you take if from the fridge.

Gapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gapi Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 17

Why do you want to put it in the fridge? I think cakes lose it´s moisture when you refrigerate them. Well, that´s my point of view.

BarbaraK Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 17

I wanted to put it in the fridge because it has been very humid here and I have had lots of problems with the buttercream melting.
The cake will be in an airtight container in the fridge so I hope that will protect it from drying out.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:47am
post #5 of 17

Hi, I wouldn't put the fondant in the fridge - best to leave it until after you take the cake out icon_biggrin.gif

julie

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:52am
post #6 of 17

I'd wait and put the fondant on tomorrow if you're going to put it in the fridge.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:59am
post #7 of 17

What kind of buttercream is it? If it's not a meringue I would think you should leave it out. I have only done a few "decorated" cakes, but I've done a lot of non-deco cakes and I never refrigerate unless it's got something very perishable in it.

BarbaraK Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:32am
post #8 of 17

Buttercream is made with icing sugar and butter, not shortening.

OK, looks like I should leave the fondant off till tomorrow morning.
Thanks all.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:43am
post #9 of 17

Hey barb

i normally put mine in the fridge with the fondant deco's on as they are usually hard and stay that way for me, but since this humid weather has hit us, i had a cake in the fridge yesterday and the fondant went soft so i would suggest putting them on tomorrow..

kylie

BarbaraK Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:06am
post #10 of 17

Thanks Kylie. Can't wait for this horrid humidity to end. I have enough problems with buttercream without humidity butting in!!!!!

By the way, hope the storm that hit you guys a few days ago did not do any damage . I was watching the news and they were interviewing the guy who owned the bakery (I think his name is Colin) and I wondered if that is the bakery which send customers to you?

sweet_as_tisse Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 17

We got an inch and a half of rain, but luckily no storm damage near our house...

Not sure who the guy is i missed the news that day, i wasnt really aware of any bad storm damage just good rain....

we nearly have a green lawn again, my hubby got to actually mow it today.....lol

cheers

kylie

Gapi Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:41am
post #12 of 17

BarbaraK how did the cake turn out?

BarbaraK Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:51am
post #13 of 17

Just back from the birthday party and the cake was a hit. Yeah!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The party was at 10am and had to leave the house by 9.30am. Took the cake out of the fridge at 7.30am and when the buttercream had softened, I put the fondant decorations and the bag handle on. Took my pictures and when to have my shower. When I walked back into the kitchen half and hour later, disaster!!!!! The handle had fallen off and broke into three pieces. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif After screaming, I wrapped some fondant around some florist wire, making sure that no wire was exposed at the end, and poked it into the cake. Drove very carefully to the party place and delivered the cake.

The birthday girl and guests were all thrilled with the cake.
LL

sweet_as_tisse Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:01am
post #14 of 17

its fantastic barb

apart from your handle disaster it turned out great...

i am glad the b'day girl loved it, you may get swamped with orders now.....lol

kylie

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:37am
post #15 of 17

That looks great - I love the purple ! icon_biggrin.gif

julie

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 17

Too cute! I really love the handle on the purse!

Gapi Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm
post #17 of 17

Wow! It looks beautiful. Very cute indeed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%