Sandra Lee's Shameful Cookie Decorating (Corrected The Name)

Decorating By cuillere Updated 15 Dec 2005 , 10:24pm by MariaLovesCakes

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 11:58am
post #1 of 66

Yesterday (dec 11) I was watching Semihomemade by Sara Lee, I really enjoyed it and she has some beautiful ideas. She was about to ice a snow flake shaped cookie, I was like wow let me see how she is gonna do that (we know it takes a lot of practice to do that), when she got to the part where she will start to pipe the decorations on the cookie the camera changed the angle and zoomed right on the piping bag!!!!! you couldn't see who was decorating the cookie, you sure can hear her voice. I was in complete shock!!!!! What a dirty little trick they had someone else pipe on the cookie while she was talking. Who ever was piping was really good and did it in a flash, when the piping was done and they changed the camera's frame to catch Sara on it the lighing go bright suddenly. After that she started to make the angels and was about to pipe dots on them, NOW THEY SHOW HER PIPE THE DOTS !!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Did anyone see that !!! Now I don't have to feel bad when I watch professionals on tv , they do so many mistakes just like us and they are not as perfect as I thought

65 replies
lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 66

It's not just the cookies--it's everything she does. This just goes to show that even a monkey can get on tv if their wallet, I mean husband, buys them their own show. Sandy's wallet, I mean husband, made millions in the prefab housing industry. They're a match made in heaven--he makes fake houses, she makes fake food. I find Sandra Lee to be the Scariest Woman Alive.

cuillere Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 66

Lotsoftots, you are funny lool, I think the food tv people didn't think we'll be watching that close hehehehehe. You had that one ready icon_biggrin.gif
I m ok with the way she looks, and I won't lie sometimes she gets my attention but that little dirty trick took away few points.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 66

I also noticed that the instructional part was voiced over....but give her a break...maybe she was running late and they didn't have time to re-shoot...
I like her show...she has some really nice tips sometimes. There's not one show out there that I like ALL the time...Sugar Rush is a little drab, Barefoot Contessa is a little monotonous...Rachel is a little too happy, but to their credit...we do watch them, don't we?

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillere

Yesterday (dec 11) I was watching Semihomemade by Sara Lee, I really enjoyed it and she has some beautiful ideas.

Actually, her name is Sandra Lee... icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

And I know what you are saying... I didn't watch it, but I will check it out again when it they air it...

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftots

It's not just the cookies--it's everything she does. This just goes to show that even a monkey can get on tv if their wallet, I mean husband, buys them their own show. Sandy's wallet, I mean husband, made millions in the prefab housing industry. They're a match made in heaven--he makes fake houses, she makes fake food. I find Sandra Lee to be the Scariest Woman Alive.

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 66

I saw that Red Top show.
But not that much close but next time I will see Sandra Lee's show again.

Catching someones dirty tricks is a different fun.icon_wink.gif

Nitu

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 66

I don't find her to be either real and genuine nor like-able as a tv host. I was completely turned off of the idea that ever show seemed to be a theme show. I seriously doubt that she did the piping of the snowflake herself. If she did, they would/should have shown HER doing it, not close ups of someones (else?) hand on a piping bag.

Then again, I'm cynical about nearly everything I see on TV anymore, unless you can see that it's totally a "live" taping all the way through where they show everything being done. Thank the David Copperfields etc for that.

I'd almost rather listen to Rachael Ray tell us over and over ad nauseum(sp?) about how EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the 10,000th time.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman66

I'd almost rather listen to Rachael Ray tell us over and over ad nauseum(sp?) about how EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the 10,000th time.

Cakeman66, that is so hilarious!!! That have crossed my mind too!!! She does says that a LOT!!!!

But you know, now that you have been talking about Sandra Lee and the stuff that she could do better, makes me want to see her more so I can watch out for this kind of stuff. icon_smile.gif

Like, I never noticed that she changes the decor of her kitchen for every show!! I am so into what she is going to do that I didn't notice! icon_redface.gif

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 66

Glad to see someone else saw what I did. I thought the same thing, that somebody else was doing the piping.

I was just telling my neighbor the other day, that I didn't think that Sandra Lee did her own stuff. If you notice, the finished products they show always look way better than what they show her doing. She comes across as a very fake person - just MHO.

Not that I am so great, but I am not on TV pretending to tell everybody else how to do it.

Martha Stewart - part 2. lol Hope I don't offend any Marth Stewart fans.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Quote:

BWAA HAAA HAAA!!! I thought it was just me that is driven bonkers by that. Cakeman66, you are too funny.

I don't have my food network channel anymore <sniff, sniff> icon_cry.gif I sure do miss it, dirty tricks or not!!

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 66

OMG I am sooo cracking up here! I watched part of it, too. Rachael Ray sounds like she's talking to 5 year olds... making it worse is her gravely- cigarette smoking voice. She needs to quit (smoking)! But regardless, I'm agreeing with everyone and wondering how these people got these shows!!

Money can do wonders, can't it?

cuillere Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 66

You guys are very funny, they should have all of you in a show of your own loool.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:17pm
post #14 of 66

You all are so funny!!!! You make me laugh so much.........
Maybe we all should have a show and call it "Deco Spies Like Us"
hehehehehe icon_lol.gif

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 2:42am
post #15 of 66

you should write to them and see what they say bout that lol it would be funny to see what they excuse is

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 5:25am
post #16 of 66

On the Alton Brown/Good Eats Fan Pages message board, they call Sandra Lee the "Semi-ho Maid." Teehee

I'd rather claw my eyes out than watch her. icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 5:43am
post #17 of 66

This is so funny. You all have made comments I think to myself while watching some of these shows. I like watching Rachel Ray but at times she's just too much. I've always said she'd do great with a cooking show for kids.

I don't think that woman's ever tasted anything she didn't like. Just once on "$40 a Day", I'd like to hear her say "yuck, don't eat here!".

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 5:50am
post #18 of 66

I was watching some southern lady do cookies the other day, she was nice and everything and had a few cute ideas to do with the kids but her gingerbread people decorating was horribly sloppy. icon_lol.gif I guess the point was that "anyone can do it"?

cuillere Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 2:58pm
post #19 of 66

You guys are super funny, same here Rachel Ray confuses me, she just talkes too much. Sandra Lee uses too many canned things and processed food I feel like I'm getting alzhaimers desease just watching her looool (I know... I m crazy), but my favorite right now is Giada de laurantiis from everyday Italian she's a little more balanced out you can tell she is a nice person in reall life.[/quote]

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 66

You're so right about all the canned & processed stuff she uses. What she does, IMO, can't really be called cooking...more like assembling...lol. I've only seen her really cook just a few times....and it was just meat either browned in a pan or thrown in the oven...nothing special there. I do think, though, out of all the cooking shows on television, she's the host who wears the most makeup, is entirely overdressed for the job, and has her hair so "done" that it looks like after taping is finished that she must just lift it off her head and place it on a wig-head thingy!!! lol (sorry, don't know the proper term for it) icon_lol.gif I mean - who actually goes into their kitchen all gussied up like that and proceeds to "cook" up a storm??? lol I admit to "assembling" dishes like she does occasionally...to save time or for a potluck or something...but definitely not to save money. If you add up the cost of all those "ingredients" (products) that she uses...let's just say it ain't cheap! lol It's much more pocketbook friendly to cook from scratch...most things, at least. Plus you don't get all those preservatives, etc. added to your diet!

Am I the only one that's noticed the super-soft lighting of her show? It almost looks fuzzy to me sometimes! HA! icon_confused.gif Even when they show her demoing something, it's all very soft/hazy lighting?? Why do they do that, I wonder? Probably so we can't really see how horrible everything she's doing actually looks and also to mask those wrinkles on her face that show when her botox is fading!! lol (ok...that was a little mean icon_redface.gif ) If you haven't noticed it, just watch one of the other shows, then watch hers and compare the lighting....I've never seen the same lighting on any other cooking show before, on any network. icon_confused.gif

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 4:19pm
post #21 of 66

They are probably using a "filter" on the camera to soften her appearance. The filter provides a kind of haze over everything - great for masking lines and wrinkles! I watch a lot of the Food Network shows (my favorite has to be Alton Brown on Good Eats). Some shows offer really great tips and some offer entertainment. My husband and I like to watch her (Sandra Lee) to find out which "cocktail" she's going to suck down each day. She has offered some neat tips before.

JennT Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 4:43pm
post #22 of 66

I agree, some of those tips she throws out there or mentions are great ideas for time savers or neat little extra touches on your table or dish, etc. And the cocktails! lol Is there ever not a cocktail on her show?? lol icon_lol.gif That white chocolate eggnogg thing she made on her christmas show looked realllllyyyy good! I go for most of the drinks she makes, actually, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, alike. But most of the food stuff just makes me cringe a little...lol. icon_rolleyes.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 5:13pm
post #23 of 66

Okay, everyone, today's episode of Sandra Lee's show is going to be about semi-homemade christmas recipes.... Now don't you all miss it!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 3:30am
post #24 of 66

Ok, Paula Deen's my girl!

adven68 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 3:44am
post #25 of 66

Wow. I can't believe how harsh some of the comments are. I, for one, wish I looked as atrocious as Sandra.

JennT Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 3:50am
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepal

Ok, Paula Deen's my girl!

She rocks! That's a woman who can cook up some really good food. thumbs_up.gif And she's so laid back...and REAL...lol. I think she interacts with the camera/audience really naturally and all her giggling lets you know she really loves what she does. Cool lady! icon_wink.gif

Cakeman66 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:23am
post #27 of 66

I guess all the canned etc goods are what make it "Semi" home made, huh?

I don't see people trashing her as much as makign fun of the fact that she has a show and we don't. The difference is most of us have some talent. (that REALLY wasn't trashing, honest!) icon_wink.gif

adven68 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:25am
post #28 of 66

I also love watching Paula....I found it funny that on one of her episodes, she was getting some freshly made marshmallows from a chocolate store called Jo-Mart. It showed Paula getting into her minivan (I think she's in Atlanta?) anyway...somewhere south...and she drove to the store, got out of the van and went in to greet the owner, Michael.

That store is in Brooklyn, New York. I know Michael. Just goes to show ya....even Paula does a little camera work here and there!!!

JennT Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:50am
post #29 of 66

Paula's in Savannah....has a restaurant there (for years & years) called The Lady & Sons...her two sons run it with her, obviously, lol...and they're both on her show quite a lot. Great place to get true Southern/Low Country food! I had the pleasure of eating there a few times long before she had her show, but was very widely known in the South. I've seen lots of shows with her going shopping, though most of the places have been local (or at least in the South), there have been a few where she went further north to some shop or another for a unique item that she just loves. But usually it's stated, by her, very clearly where she's going and why/what for. It at least seems that she's a true frequenter of some of the places she visits on her shows.

Cakeman66 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:55am
post #30 of 66

Could be (for Paula Deen) that her shows were taped in upstate New York at Gordon Elliot's home, thus the reason for the New York shots.

Let me tell you something about my experience when I was a child 'star" heheh I love to say that, on Romper Room. That little mirror that they "see" you in? Well, it's not really a mirror, and you can see right through it! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%