How To Drape Fondant

Decorating By chia Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 1:53pm by Steady2Hands

chia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chia Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 14

I'm new to using fondant and I'm trying to make a square "present" cake. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the fondant drape over the cake smoothly? What about the edges? On my practice run, there seemed to be too much fondant left on the edges and it ended up making a thicker area there and looking messy. What should I do? Thanks!

13 replies
Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 14

Do you have a picture of a cake similar to the effect you're trying to achieve? Are you looking for a more formal appearance or a relaxed appearance?

Here's one I did on a round cake but it is more "relaxed".

Wedding Cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Steady2Hands&cat=0&pos=9

Small Cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Steady2Hands&cat=0&pos=7

Here's a CC tutorial for a more "formal" look:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article63-How-To-Make-Fondant-Swags.html

On mine, I just used a pizza wheel to trim off the excess once it was on the cake.

I'm not sure if any of this is what you're looking for. If not, maybe someone else can help.

chia Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for your reply. Your cakes are so beautiful- I only wish I could get mine to look that professional. Maybe one day! The main problem that I seem to have is that once the fondant is put on the cake top and I start to smooth eveything down to do the cutting of the extra fondant around the base, I seem to wind up with extra fondant that I can't smooth out on the sides. Almost like its gathered up on the sides. Any suggestions?

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 14

I think I know what you mean, when it sort of pleats up at the bottom. I make sure that there's at least a couple of inches of extra fondant more than I need. Make sure you put your cake on some time of elevated surface. Once you put the fondant over the cake, start smoothing from the top down. When you start doing the sides, you'll see that there will be pleats at the bottom, but as you smooth down, they sort of move down into the extra fondant that you'll eventually be cutting off. I think it's the little bit of extra weight that pulls down that helps with smoothing the pleats out, which is why it helps to keep the cake elevated a bit.

I hope that may be some of the info you're looking for. Good luck!

sassijen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassijen Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 14

Here is a site that really helped me. Maybe it will help you too.

http://www.pastrywhiz.com/wedding/wedding19.htm

chia Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 14

Great idea about keeping the cake elevated. I hadn't thought of that. Also, the website was helpful. Thanks and keep your fingers crossed for me.

Steady2Hands Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, now I know what you mean. Here's an awesome video on that:

http://www.atecousa.net/learn/satin_ice_1.shtml

leaisagary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leaisagary Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 14

is fondant the same thing as sugar paste?

Panda-monium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panda-monium Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 14

Yes they are the same. I use sugar paste in the UK and it is called fondant in CC.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 14

Remember to smooth the corners first before the sides. Keeping the cake elevated so the fondant can hang down also helps a lot.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #11 of 14

Wow, thanks for the video site....its very informative

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:37am
post #12 of 14

square cakes are a little trickier...but yes, do the corners first, and keep it elevated a bit, and you will be a pro before you know it! Using the fondant smoother (kids call it "the cake iron") helps alot

andi462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi462 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:02am
post #13 of 14

I have a question for the Cake Lady, please.... I am interested in learning how to drape the fondant to look like material, much like that on the pretty white cake in your signature. Or does anyone know of a tutorial on how to achieve that look?

Steady2Hands Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 14

andi462 ~ I don't know of a tutorial but it's much simpler than even the tutorial of regular drapes. Just roll the fondant super thin (if using white chocolate clay then knead together 1/2 clay & 1/2 fondant), gather it at one end, pick it up where it's gathered, an it will drape on its own. Then just lay it on the cake. That's how I did mine.

Cakelady ~ how did you do yours?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%