Doesn't Fondant Just Drop Off Cookies? Help Me Be Lazy!

Baking By emmascakes Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 4:53pm by practiceandpatience

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:10am
post #1 of 16

I'm making 95 daisy cookies for my sister's wedding on Saturday and I'm trying to think of some short cuts as her cake took me longer than I'd planned for so I'm left with little time!

If I use fondant to cover the cookies how does it stay on the cookie? I imagine I'd cut the fondant out and lay it on the cookie but as soon as the cookie stands up (they are on sticks) won't the fondant just fall off? Am I being dim about this?

Please help as my alternative is royal icing and that's going to take me forever!

15 replies
SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:15am
post #2 of 16

hi emma! i only did nfsc once with fondant..what i did was as soon as it came out of the oven i put the pre-cut fondant on the cookies..the heat made the fondant adhere to the cookies..maybe somebody else has a better idea..

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:20am
post #3 of 16

nfsc?

SweetBellina Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:21am
post #4 of 16

oops..nfsc= no fail sugar cookies... icon_biggrin.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:23am
post #5 of 16

NFSC= no fail sugar cookies. If the cookies is already cooled, just use a bit of something sticky to adhere the fondant. Piping gel, or corn syrup thinned with a bit of water works fine. Even a very light brushing of plain water on the fondant back can be enough to stick it to the cookie.

cookiema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiema Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:19am
post #6 of 16

I agree wwith joann. I usually brush it with water but it is also posible to stick it with marmelade..congrats for your sister..

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:48am
post #7 of 16

Emma
You shouldnt have any problems if you brush them with lightly with water or sugar syrup. Let the dry before you stand them up ; )
These are some i did with fondant. One girl at work has a couple of them in cellephane bags (1.5 years later!!!) I can't believe they didnt mold, and they were made from scratch, so no added preservatives apart from sugar. AMAZING!!!!
I wonder if this means that all us cake-makers are mummifying ourselves icon_rolleyes.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-23620.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-23615.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-23611.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-23610.html

Cheers
Nati

SweetBellina Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:12am
post #8 of 16

joann,how about dots of royal icing? will it work too? i think my method is d laziest! lol!..

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 16

i do what marj does if the cookies are just done. pre-cut the mmf and have it ready for when the cookies come out. If they are cooled i use a bit of corn syrup and it works great.

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiema

I agree wwith joann. I usually brush it with water but it is also posible to stick it with marmelade..congrats for your sister..

Oh - marmalade sounds like it'd make 'em taste even yummier!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 16

Corn syrup (I don't dilute it) works great.

Good luck!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByEllen

Corn syrup (I don't dilute it) works great.

Good luck!

this is what I do/use as well.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marj

i think my method is d laziest! lol!..

that's the way I do it, too, and while it takes a bit more PREP time, once you get baking, it's certainly the easiest/laziest...

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:24am
post #14 of 16

I keep corn syrup in a squirt bottle and just dot a little on the cookie and the fondant or RBC adheres nicely!

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:45pm
post #15 of 16

have been following this thread as I need to make some cookies for a birthday. Could you use the rolled buttercream for the cookies the same way if the cookes are cold. I imagine if I added it to a hot cookie it would melt. anyone ever try this.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 16

I use the same cookie cutter for the MMF as I do for the cookies, and while cookies are baking I cut the fondant, as soon as cookies come out of the oven I place the MMF cutout on the hot cookies. It then melts onto the cookie and gives the edges of the fondant a nice rounded look as though it was piped on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%