Is 2007 Over? I Don't Think So...

Business By Sugarbean Updated 22 Feb 2007 , 2:37pm by judylynnturner

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:54am
post #1 of 21

Ok...I've got brides wanting to book for 2008!! Yes you read that right 2008!!!

I don't want to turn them away, but geez, that's a year and half away!! So I'm just booking consults with them for September.

*vent to the brides** Geez, give me some breathing room, I'm not even into the 2007 season!! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

20 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:06am
post #2 of 21

LOL...

reminds me of my drama kids...

fall of this year: mr. **** what's the musical of NEXT year? (uhm, could we finish this year's set of plays and musical first please?)

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:11am
post #3 of 21

WOW!!! I would definately take that as a compliment!!!! Good luck!!!!

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:14am
post #4 of 21

Who on earth would want to be engaged that long?

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:17am
post #5 of 21

I've had at least 5 calls this year for 2008 weddings. I'm shocked people think about the cake that early on, but they do. When I get those calls I try to get them booked early by letting them know they can get "this years" price for "next year's" cake!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:21am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondie

I got engaged in December 2005 and I'm not getting married until the middle of September this year....

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:22am
post #7 of 21

You must be really "IN DEMAND!" Congrats!!

Beth in KY

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:34am
post #8 of 21

Lindsay ... I've been getting a lot of calls for 2008 weddings, too!! In fact, I already have a wedding cake scheduled for Winter 2009!!! icon_eek.gif I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! I guess it's better than getting a call today for a wedding cake this weekend! icon_lol.gif

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:42am
post #9 of 21

Oh man....I meant no harm by my comment. I was just thinking that I could not wait to sleep with my husband and live in the same house. I guess now days people do it anyway. Just thinking back to those really intense feelings...ya know?

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:29am
post #10 of 21

Yesterday I booked one for May 2008, and had to highlight 2008 make sure I don't accidentally make it this year. That could happen with me! LOL
mpc

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:52am
post #11 of 21

I've had the same thing. I have 2 inquiries for 2008 and a coworker who wants me to do his in 2009! Yeah, I'd like to make it through this year first too.

I actually had a consult on monday with a bride getting married in may '08. Boy she was not a fun one. Doesn't want to spend more than $300 on a cake for 125 people. Thinks dummy cakes are going to save her sooooo much money... NOT! I'm really hoping she choosing someone else, I just don't want to have my first bridezilla.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:44am
post #12 of 21

I have already taken firm bookings for 08 also. I think some of the trend are larger weddings, I just did one with 50 in the bridal party! Larger weddings cost more, so I think they are planning way ahead to get it paid for. I have a catering for one coming up for 700, who the heck knows that many people, I sure don't., at least not that I would invite to a wedding.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

I've had the same thing. I have 2 inquiries for 2008 and a coworker who wants me to do his in 2009! Yeah, I'd like to make it through this year first too.

I actually had a consult on monday with a bride getting married in may '08. Boy she was not a fun one. Doesn't want to spend more than $300 on a cake for 125 people. Thinks dummy cakes are going to save her sooooo much money... NOT! I'm really hoping she choosing someone else, I just don't want to have my first bridezilla.

For someone like that I would quote them an extrememly high price to force them elsewhere. Bridezilla's are no fun. I've had one and I'll never go that route again....no matter how bad I need the $$.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakesbylindsay

I don't want to turn them away, but geez, that's a year and half away!! So I'm just booking consults with them for September.

*vent to the brides** Geez, give me some breathing room, I'm not even into the 2007 season!! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

I wish I had your problem. So far I might have a couple of orders for this year.

Lazy_Susan

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakesbylindsay

I wish I had your problem. So far I might have a couple of orders for this year.

Lazy_Susan

Me too Susan! Just one lonely wedding booked for 21st July this year - and the bride has changed her mind about what she wants 3 times already icon_cry.gif !

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:58pm
post #16 of 21

i have two for this year one in june and one in july
that's great you guys are getting orders for next year!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopar33

I've had at least 5 calls this year for 2008 weddings. I'm shocked people think about the cake that early on, but they do. When I get those calls I try to get them booked early by letting them know they can get "this years" price for "next year's" cake!

I'm always glad to get brides who are shopping early! It shows they know how involved and how expensive a wedding is and they're not trying to "slap it together" in just a few months. They're giving themselves plenty of time to pay for it.

I've had 10 calls for 2008 and a couple of 2008 samplings already. I also let them hold today's pricing. My pricing is reviewed on Sept 1st, so anything booked by August 31st will hold current pricing. Around July, I will put a notice on my website to point this out to brides and my phone starts ringing off the hook!

SweetieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 21

When I got engaged it was March 2004. I wanted a wedding in May, but 2 months wasn't going to cut it. So, I planned for my May 2005 wedding for over a year! If you're getting calls now, a lot of brides may be in the same situation. Also, when I called to get my cake , the lady was booked and I had to find someone else. The brides don't want to leave things to the last minute.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondie

Personally, with the divorce rate as it is these days, I think it's really smart to have a long engagement.

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #20 of 21

I am a wedding coordinator at a hotel and I already have brides booking for 2008. I don't think a year and a half is that long to be engaged, some people need that long to put the money together to have the wedding that they want. I would take it was a complement too, they obviously want to make sure they get you for their cake. Just make sure you tell them that pricing will change and they will be responsible for paying 2008 prices.

judylynnturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylynnturner Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:37pm
post #21 of 21

I can honestly tell you that on Sunday, my DH and I will celebrate our first anniversary. The first thing I did was decide what cake I wanted. I went to a very good friend of mine that owns a bakery about 2 hours away. She had no problems with what I wanted---until 1 month before the wedding! It wasn't her fault, she was stricken with breast cancer.

She gave me the name of a lady that she knew who would do it for me. I called her and she couldn't do teir cakes! icon_eek.gif How do you have a bakery and specialize in wedding cakes and not do tiers? icon_confused.gif

Ok, finally I decided this is it...I didn't want to do my own cake, I had enough going on. I went to the local bakery here in town (not walmart and not heb grocery)...

I told them what I wanted: 3 teir western style cake cream colored buttercream, black cowboy hats with UT orange roses and A&M maroon roses...they had the exact one I wnated in display because this is where I my DH decided he liked that cake and nothing else would do...guess what I got? A cream colored western cake with black roses!

Yep, black roses! They had the order confused with an over the hill cake... icon_mad.gif

I was devistated...but, in the end I got sort of what I wanted because they had to redo the cake...my friend has passed...and it is funny now about the cake...

I can certainly understand why brides to be book in advance...especially to the really great bakers in our community... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%