Birthday Cake For Dec. People

Decorating By rainbowz Updated 22 Dec 2005 , 9:55am by stephanie214

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 25

I'm thinking of making a cake for a group of people at my work who all have a December birthday. Seems December people get ignored a lot, especially as their birthdays fall closer to xmas. There are (to my knowledge) at least 6 of them, all different ages and interests. No one knows I'm thinking of doing this, a few days back a couple of them were talking about this annual event they give themselves and I just happened to have caught it.

So I'm trying to come up with some ideas for multiple people with multiple birthdays. Since it's for several people, some who's birthdays are past some who's birthdays are a few days or weeks away, some in the 20's others in the 50's and 60's...

Anyone have an idea for some sort of theme that would cover such a diverse group? Can't be xmas, of course, since it's not a xmas cake or a "winter" cake.

24 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 25

..how about a the zodiac signs! Just a thought..trying to think of something other than the obivious.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 25

you could make a half / half themed cake. I have 2 kids b-days in November....a few times over the last ten yeras I have had half girl/half boy themes.

Maybe you could do flowers, roses and pretties on one side and football, golf or baseball on the other...JMO icon_wink.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 12:17am
post #4 of 25

Rainbowz...that is so nice of you to do!! I know from experience with my b-day being in December that you get slighted!!! Hubby still after 17 years wants to do the "birthday & Christmas" in one combo... icon_mad.gif Looks like he would learn after all these years. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hugs, ~Denise

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 12:30am
post #5 of 25

I did put a diffrent post at first then I realized "no x-mas cake" ooops. Go with the zodiac idea, it's great!!!!

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 12:33am
post #6 of 25

I like the Zodiac sign. You could draw your imaginary line diagonally across a sheet cake. Make one half flowers, nothing too much, and the other side a more masculine look. Maybe chocolate flowers? Do one side pink and one side dark blue?

I dunno, but I think the zodiac in the middle and 2 seperate things are a good idea!

MrsMissey Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 12:37am
post #7 of 25

..or even a celestial type theme with the zodiac signs!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 1:09am
post #8 of 25

Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I personally don't care for zodiac signs and wouldn't really appreciate them on my cake.

I am making a cake (1/2 sheet) to celebrate the Dec. birthdays at church and I think I will be making a fire place complete with logs and a fire. Then I will hang stockings off the mantle with each of their names on them.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. I know that those with Dec. birthdays will appreciate it!

SherisEdibleDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherisEdibleDesigns Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 1:13am
post #9 of 25

not all of them will have the same zodiac sign since some of their birthdays may fall in the beginning of the month and others in the end. You can half and half the cake to be able to incorporate both signs. Just a thought. i like the idea and I don't think anyone will be opposed to a cake with their sign on it. You could also try a cake with the theme being based on the line of work you do and write each of their names on the side of the cake. Good luck, its nice of you to do.

MrsMissey Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 1:20am
post #10 of 25

..yep, that's why my post said "signs"..I had thought about that too! icon_smile.gif

SherisEdibleDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherisEdibleDesigns Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 1:30am
post #11 of 25

i see that now Mrs. Missey, didn't catch that the first time. Your great mind beat me to that thought process I guess! icon_biggrin.gif

rainbowz Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 7:06am
post #12 of 25

I went to google some zodiac signs and looked up Sagittarius (Nov 22/Dec 20) and Capricorn (Dec 21/Jan 19) - there seems to be some discrepancy on the symbols. The Archer/Sagittarius is sometimes just a man, sometimes a centaur (half horse) holding a hunting bow; Capricorn is a goat or, to be more precise, a fish-tailed goat. A few images I found:

ImageImage

ImageImage

Now the question is: how to translate that into a nifty cake design...

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 8:16am
post #13 of 25

I'll sleep on it and see if I can come up with any ideas..

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 8:31am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cake

Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I personally don't care for zodiac signs and wouldn't really appreciate them on my cake.

I'm with you, luv2cake! icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 25

If you don't do edible images then I would suggest a FBCT..I like the two lower ones!!

melissaanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaanne Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 11:43am
post #16 of 25

A totally different idea would be to make a bithday gift for each person with a little tag with their name on it. You could even mold heads to go with it and have their arms holding the present, going aorund in a circle. ( bas-relief)

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 25

I may be a little late with this post but wanted to add my 2 cents as a December birthday person. I never minded having cakes and stuff related to Christmas or Winter myself but it was also nice to be recognized apart from Christmas.

Why not just do a part cake along the lines of this one in the birthday gallery? http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=27

Or something with balloons and stars. It would not have to be a specific 'theme' to be a fun party cake.

Cindy

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 5:57pm
post #18 of 25

I like Colette's Birthday cake from the gallery under "events" it's from one of the shows.

It's basically a beautiful pastel/candy colored 2 (?)tiered cake with a huge slice cut out and decorated and stacked.

I think stay away from Christmas theme and go for Birthday theme. Packages, presents, candles, etc.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 6:50pm
post #19 of 25

Skip the Christmas themes since the point is to not let their bdays get lost in all the Christmas hoopla. I think a winter wonderland would be cool. I'm thinking tiny fondant snowmen ice skating, sledding, drinking cocoa, having a snowball fight, etc.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 4:39pm
post #20 of 25

My birthday is in December too. Stay away from the Christmas and wintry cakes. Go with a very obvious birthday theme. Trust me on this one! My niece was born on Christmas Day. And, I think I'm speaking for most of the people born in December, WE WANT A BIRTHDAY CAKE! please!?!

rainbowz Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:10pm
post #21 of 25

I guess I was delinquent in not posting the final cake pic in here... It went over very well with all the ladies. Yes, all eight known December birthday people were women. That says something... not sure what. icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

I went with a decidedly non-christmas, non-winter big-time-party style cake - basically, I just received my WBH book that weekend and decided to try their whimzy cake. Here's the result:

(click to embiggen)

I think I even got a couple of possible orders out of it... We'll see if that holds once they find out it's not a Costco priced cake! icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone for your input, it really did help me make the final decision.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 9:55pm
post #22 of 25

Yes! Like that! An obvious Birthday Cake.

Well done!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 10:01pm
post #23 of 25

Oh good job! It's so hard to stay away from the Christmas theme thing for December birthdays but you did an excellent job with this!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 10:04pm
post #24 of 25

So colorful...I love it! thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 9:55am
post #25 of 25

rainbowz,

Wow...your cake turned out great and I love the color combination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%