New Question About Wedding Cakes :-)

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 28 Mar 2005 , 5:56am by tcturtleshell

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 5:00am
post #1 of 10

Hey Faithful Friends!!

I have a question...

Ok you all know my first wedding cake is due on April 23rd right? Well when I did my practice cake (the FD one) I used 2-2" pans for each layer. I thought the cake was cute but I thought it was too fat. When you make a wedding cake (this one is going to be stacked w/ 3 layers) do you always use 2-2" pans for each layer? I bought 3" pans of each size I'm going to use. I thought if I use 1-3" for every layer & torte it then it would look better. What do you think? What sizes do you folks use for wedding cakes? I don't have the time or money to make another practice wedding cake. I need your help in deciding. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! icon_smile.gif ~TC~

9 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 10

I use the 2" layer cake pans, but then I don't feel like spending my money on 3" cake pans icon_lol.gif
I thought your cakes looked fine icon_wink.gif

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 10

I also use the 2 2" pans...and use all of it...My cakes are 4" high, and that is just about the industry standard (1x2x4, or my new 1x3x4).
Some other artists make them even 4.5 or 5" high!

I haven't tried the 3" and wont since I've already invested in the 2"'s....Consider too that your cakes will not rise exactly 3", unless you put too much batter, which in turn will pour out when baking. Anyhow, mine yield about 3.5" together after leveling....the other .5" I need I get when I fill my cakes...which is about 4 layers of cake and three of filling.

Your customers will be happy!

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 10

Here is a SUPER sneaky tip!

I do this with every cake I make!

I posted in an article here:
http://cakecentral.com/article43-Collaring-Your-Cake-Pans-Make-A-Deeper-Cake.html

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 10

That's a great tip...I will definitely try it next time I bake!
Thank you

tcturtleshell Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 3:53am
post #6 of 10

Wow! I wish I had that idea when I baked my practice cakes! On one pan the batter spilled over & made a huge mess in my stove!! I had to take the cake out, take a little of the batter out of it, & clean the oven. Then I put the cake back in to finish baking. It turned out fine but boy was there a mess~ I will use that tip! Thanks!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 1:43am
post #7 of 10

Well, if it's a wedding cake for a client, just make sure you make enough servings for their number of guests. icon_smile.gif I don't think most people would mind a 3" high layer torted instead of two 2" high layers per tier. In your situation (which I probably will be soon!) I might try the collaring idea and then fill the 3" pans up to 2/3 full with batter, which should give you a full 3" plus enough to level off. Consider if it's NOT high enough then, you can always bake another layer and use just half of it and frost the rest for yourself.

Are you going to make it soon and freeze it with just a crumb coat until closer or are you waiting til the week of the wedding to make it?

Blessings!
~AngelWendy

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 4:58am
post #8 of 10

AngelWendy~

Yes, I'm making my cakes next week. I'll be making them at my mom's work place. She's a manager of a HS lunchroom. I don't have the right size oven to bake the large size cakes in. Yes, I will be freezing the cakes. It is really easy to freeze them! I freeze almost everytime I bake a cake! I don't like to do everything in the same day it's too much work for me. Just pop them out of the freezer the day before to thaw & the next day ice & decorate!! It is so easy! I don't need to crumb coat because Calidawn has taught me the easy way to ice. Talk to you later~

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 5:20am
post #9 of 10

I crumb coated this weekend and I still got crumbs on top of the cake, but no where near the amount I have in the past. The one thing I need to do is try another BC frosting. I love Wiltons and its what I use, so much that its memorized, but even trying to thin it, I cant get it smooth...check out my last cake (mauve colored easter cake)...no planning, no idea what to do, and thought I had an hour more and didnt. The more I tried to smooth, even with a paper towel (viva) it wouldnt smooth......and I thinned the frosting... icon_mad.gif and until I get that right I dont think I will ever be totally comfortable with my decorating... (I was told by a WMI that I had potential, but had some "tweeking" to do icon_confused.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 5:56am
post #10 of 10

I stopped using the Wiltong icing right after I joined cake central. I like Calidawn's recipe using 1 c butter & 1 c crisco (that's what I use). I do not have to use meringue powder either! Glad I learned that tip!!!! It's so expensive I didn't want to use it! If you want that recipe let me know & I'll email it to you.

What is the time difference between you & me? Isn't it early in the AM there? If so you sure do get up early! I'm a night owl & I sleep late!
Hope you had a great Easter~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%