Princess Crown Cake

Decorating By letseatcake Updated 26 Mar 2005 , 2:06pm by letseatcake

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

I just finished the princess crown cake I asked for help on last week. I posted the picture on kid's birthday's. What a trying experience. First the mother didn't call me back until Monday. I told her thin I was going out of town Thur. and I would have to give her the cake on Thur. She wanted a cake to feed 70 people. I told her I would get back to her that evening with a price. I called and told the boyfriend $100. Never heard anything back form her. Tue went passed nothing. We never discussed flavors or anything so I didn't want to get started and not get paid. Wed. at work the Aunt and grandmother came to get some candy supplies. I work and a cake and candy retail supply store. They asked me about the cake. I told them I haven't her from the girl. They left called me two hours later begging me to do the cake. I got off work at 5:30, had to go get cake mix (they weren't getting scratch), fondant and eggs and come home to bake. plus try to pack for 3 people and finish decorating 50 Easter cookies for another order. The baking went fine until I realized I put a layer of choc. cake in the pan without eggs. The fondant I got from Michaels was horriable. Pieces were hard and sticky. I got three boxes and they were all bad. Trying to roll out enough to cover a 14" cake was very very hard. My table has a seam so I had to work on one side ot the table, very hard. I didn't make it big enough. I pieced it together on the cake. I tried to cover the seams as much as possible. I sort of like the way it turned out. I wish the fondant looked better, but I know they better like it. I don't think this stress was worth a $100. Maybe $150.00 icon_biggrin.gif

Please let me know what you think

7 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 8

Nice cake, it didn't look rushed to me. Wonderful job!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

I'm laughing...maybe I shouldn't be but I'm wondering what the difference between $100 worth of stress and $150 worth of stress is? Can we charge for that? If so, I'm not getting paid enough icon_biggrin.gif . I think I would have told them no. You seemed to have a lot to do already. If it isn't your bread and butter, then only do it when you know you'll enjoy it. Still it was very nice of you to do them this last minute favor and like you said they better like it icon_wink.gif .

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 8

You are really the only one that can decide if it was worth it or not, since you can't put a price on stress! I think I would have had to pass under the circumstances....you were very kind to do the cake!!

What method did you use to arrive at your price of $100? Where I live, that would be sort of high for a 14" cake but every area is different.

letseatcake Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 8

For the price I went with the amount of servings. The cake is for 70 people and that's about 10 servings more than a full sheet cake. I charge $60.00 for a full sheet. Then I added in the price for fondant, The price is about $1.42 a slice. The cake is high because I wanted the height for the crown. Normally my cakes are about 3 or 4" high.

I really wanted to attempt this cake. I discussed it with the Aunt 2 weeks ago. It was the mom who was not returning my call. The father was actually pissed also about her waiting so late to contact me. Well and who can't use the money when your going out of town icon_lol.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 8

Glad things came together for you! Enjoy your vacation!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 8

where did you come up with the idea for that cake?? it is beautiful!!

letseatcake Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 8

I found a picture of a crown bank I was going to do,, but the customer called me the night before. The idea of the cones were from the picture, but I decided to dip the in pink choc. instead of covering them in fondant. The design actually was a in the process of doing design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%