Frosting My Cake..help!!!

Decorating By ChefMindi Updated 25 Mar 2005 , 6:56am by tcturtleshell

ChefMindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefMindi Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 10

icon_sad.gif Someone Please help! I am frosting a cake for a party and I am having a horrible time. I have cut out my shape from the cake and now when I go to frost it the frosting won't stick and it keeps pulling off pieces of the cake. I'm using a buttercream frosting and a cake-mix chocolate cake. I have had this problem before and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any tips would very very helpful!

9 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

Go straight to your nearest hobby shop and buy the cake icer tip icon_biggrin.gif ! It is the easiest way to frost the sides of a cut-out cake. Otherwise, just thin your icing a little so it will stick.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 10

Absolutely...I wouldn't even consider icing a cake without Tip # 789!! thumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 10

Sounds like the icing might be too thick. Try thinning the icing down a bit so it doesn't stick to the spatula.

Debbie

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 10

Get the icer tip, thin the icing down and put the cake in the fridge to set for a little bit. A combination of all these things should make icing it a little easier.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 10

And partially freeze the cake. I normally never crumb coat, but since you have cut this cake into a shape, I would strongly suggest it. Chocolate is horrible for crumbing without being cut, so you definitely may need to crumb coat.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 10

I have yet to get the icer tip.... I keep forgetting!!!!!! So I use my Pampered Chef Accent decorator put the frosting on,and smooth it out... seems to work, and its pretty easy... I do intend fully on getting tip!

anyway back to question.... I had the same problem with these egg cakes! I gave up and threw a crumb coat on, it helped alot but then I had a problem when it came to icing... the crumbs still found their way out! Thats ok though i took care of it, but man one headache today after another!!!! I agree with everything said here!!!!!!!! thin the frosting, and get the tip.... if you cant get tip yet then use a accent decorator or I know people that put the frosting in a ziploc and just squeeze !!!!!!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 5:53am
post #8 of 10

That's funny because I was going to ask the same question about the icing not sticking!!! I figured my icing was too thick. I was having that problem then the problem of my icing not drying! I use the icing tip so that wasn't the problem. The icing was too thick! After that it was smooth sailing.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 6:24am
post #9 of 10

I received some advice on this from SquirellyCakes, she crumb coats her cakes with the thinned down Apricot glaze and she swears by it. I believe she does this when she takes them out of the pan...SquirellyCakes, are you watching? If so, whach-ya-think?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 6:56am
post #10 of 10

She gave me that recipe too. I have used it many times. It makes the cakes so moist! Love it! Here lately I haven't had time to use it so I've just been using Dawn's technique. So I don't crumb coat. It works fine for me w/ all cakes except chocolate. I have a small choc crumbs here & there on my cake. Squirrelycakes is awsome! She knows her cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%