Ot - What Photo Software Do You Use?

Lounge By gma1956 Updated 23 Nov 2005 , 5:14pm by Esther

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 20

I have seen many picture pages here that have been created using photo editing software. Could you tell me what photo editing software you use. I want to get one.

19 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 20

I use Adobe Photoshop, but it's quite expensive (DH uses it for his job.) MS Photo Editor works quite well and I believe comes with either Windows or the MS Office Pacakge (don't remember which one)

If you want to go the free route, many of the on-line photofinishing places have some neat effects you can add to your images ... you just upload to their site and play around with your pix. You don't have to actually order the prints! Try WalMart, Kodak, Blacks Photo, Future Shop, etc.

Note, the pix I have posted here are just cropped and uploaded, but I have been working with Photoshop on my web page, so the pix there will soon be more interesting. I have created my whole web site in Photoshop, so if you're planning to do that as well, it may be worth the $$.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 20

I use www.photofiltre.com It's free icon_biggrin.gif and works great.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 20

I use the software that came with my digital camera....It's Hewlett Packard

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 20

I use Paint Shop Pro, photoshop, photofiltre, printshop, publisher and a whole bunch of other stuff. Just depends on what I load up first. Some times I start using one graphics program and switch to another if it has A feature I prefer. I am sure you can find other photo editors/graphics programs online if you want.

lightofapollo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lightofapollo Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 20

Free is good unless you need unusual features.

I've been using IrfanView, but have recently downloaded (but not yet installed) Picasa. Picasa seems to have great reviews, and was highly recommended by a friend that does a lot of photo editing. Picasa was created and distributed by Google, which means a lot to me - I trust them to do things well.

http://www.irfanview.com/

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Lisa Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightofapollo

Have you tried Photofiltre? It has the unusual features. More than I know what to do with half the time LOL! My only complaint is that it doesn't come with a users manual just a few brief tutorials. It's a lot like Paint Shop Pro but nothing compared to Adobe.

There's a $30.00 rebate deal on Paint Shop Pro 9 right now...$14.99 after rebate w/ free shipping.

With the rebate though, you have to submit proof of ownership (just a photocopy of the CD cover or user manual cover) of a previous version or competing product.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=20362957&adid=17662

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 20

Which photo editor will allow you to cut out your cake from a photo you've taken (say, on your messy work table or counter) and then put it in a nice, colorful background?

Cake_Princess Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightofapollo

I've been using IrfanView, but have recently downloaded (but not yet installed) Picasa. Picasa seems to have great reviews, and was highly recommended by a friend that does a lot of photo editing. Picasa was created and distributed by Google, which means a lot to me - I trust them to do things well.

http://www.irfanview.com/

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Oh I have Picassa too I forgot about that one. PhotoFiltre is free and has a ton of unusual features. You can do way more using Photofiltre than you can with Picassa.

Lisa Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryStCakes

Which photo editor will allow you to cut out your cake from a photo you've taken (say, on your messy work table or counter) and then put it in a nice, colorful background?

I think most, if not all, of the ones mentioned will allow you to do that. Some may make it easier than others. It can be done with Photofiltre pretty easily. I've done it several times when making avatars for members using their own cakes. One that comes to mind (just so you can see what I'm talking about) is Quadcrew's. Hope they don't mind me pointing it out. Their avatar is one of their cakes that I removed the background from using Photofiltre. I animated it using another free program called UnFreez.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-2146.html

Here's the original cake pic...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/12146/normal_Cup_of_Cocoa_Cake_001.jpg

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 20

Photoshop.....also use it at work and in my freelance photo work. It's the best, but not the easiest to master.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 20

I create brochures, business cards, letterhead, etc. and I always use Print Shop 20.0. I wouldnt use anything else. I love it. and it really CHEAP. I got mine at Best Buy for $19.99! Best twenty bucks I ever spent!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 20

i use CorelDraw and i love it. Takse you some time to learn but if you have it cann't live without it anymore.

Also http://picasa.google.com/index.html (it was also mantioned before)is a very good and it aslo is free program. Does the most important things you need to do (crop, red eyes etc) and is very easy to use.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 20

Great timing! I had a photo processing package on my Christmas list with TBA next to it. I wasn't sure which one I wanted yet!

Debbie

sweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreasures Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 20

Oh, I have Print Shop...One question though, how do you alter a photo and just put it with NO background? It looks like it floats when people post them. I suppose they are probably using a clear or white background. If someone needs a sample, let me know and I'll direct you to a site that has it and I assume it is an altered photo...Thanks

Misdawn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 20

You just have to enlarge the photo to cover the entire blank document after you import it. The only way you can enlarge the photo to the full page size (and still have aclear photo) is to make sure your photo is at a very high resolution.

Cake_Princess Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:00pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreasures

Oh, I have Print Shop...One question though, how do you alter a photo and just put it with NO background? It looks like it floats when people post them. I suppose they are probably using a clear or white background. If someone needs a sample, let me know and I'll direct you to a site that has it and I assume it is an altered photo...Thanks

Making the background transparent will do this.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:29pm
post #18 of 20

I use Kodak Easyshare. It came with my digital camera. I'm also trying to learn how to use Photoshop.

Misdawn Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 20

Hey cake Princess, how do you make the background transparent in Print Shop? I've never figured that out.

Esther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Esther Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 20

I use either Adobe Photoshop Elements and/or Adobe Photoshop CS. You can do SO much stuff with it, but like the other ones said already... it takes some time to learn how to do it. It is pretty advanced

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%