Help Matching Roses...

Decorating By Lisa Updated 26 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm by Lisa

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:24am
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone...I need to make these roses for an anniversary cake. They have to be made from butter cream. I'm not very hopeful about matching the shape so I'm looking for pointers there. I also need help coming up with the color. I see a lot of beautiful roses on cakes here, unfortunately none of them are mine icon_redface.gif. Any help/suggestions on matching these roses?

15 replies
pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 4:21am
post #2 of 16

hi,
just a couple of ideas... you can pipe the buttercream roses in a yellow, put them on parchment and in the freezer quick. They will harden and then you can take them out and airbrush the peach color of try to paint them with diluted food color if you don't have an airbrush. Another thing you may want to think of is actually piping the image right onto the cake with buttercream, it would be more 2-d but that is probably how you can match the roses exactly. good luck!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 4:29am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Hi everyone...I need to make these roses for an anniversary cake. They have to be made from butter cream. I'm not very hopeful about matching the shape so I'm looking for pointers there. I also need help coming up with the color. I see a lot of beautiful roses on cakes here, unfortunately none of them are mine icon_redface.gif. Any help/suggestions on matching these roses?

I would do them in Royal icing or you could use buttercream .... Color your icing Buttercup Yellow and then get you a lite brown powder dust and once they are dry I would dust the outer edges and the inside with the lite brown powder... Probly a dry I would not use the vodka method.... just enough to give it that brown look you seen in the photo...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 16

you could also put a stripe of color in your pastry bag to get a mixed effect.

Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 16

Thank you ladies! I'm going to start experimenting! Do you think I can get that natural shape using tip #104 or does anyone recommend a different tip?

Ladycake Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Thank you ladies! I'm going to start experimenting! Do you think I can get that natural shape using tip #104 or does anyone recommend a different tip?

Well 104 is the rose tip there is also a 90 something tip that is for making roses... I want to say its a 97 or 98 off the top of my head... I know call me Lazy not to get off this chair and go and look.... But I aint a wake yet... lol ..

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 16

Take a look at Kathy F's white chocolate roses at

http://www.kathyskakesllc.com/index.html

Maybe make them in a pale yellow and use petal dust on the edges in a pink for that look.

Debbie

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 16

Well 104 is the rose tip there is also a 90 something tip that is for making roses... I want to say its a 97 or 98 off the top of my head... I know call me Lazy not to get off this chair and go and look.... But I aint a wake yet... lol ..[/quote]

It is tip 97.

thecakemaker Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 16

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/roses.cfm

This is the directions for making the rose with a tip 104.

Good Luck!
Debbie

Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to try tip 98 too and see how it does. Kathy's choc. roses are beautiful! These have to be made of butter cream for $ reasons--they didn't want to pay any extra for gumpast/fondant/candy clay/silk/real. I'll let everyone know how they turn out.

thecakemaker Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 16

Good Luck!

Debbie

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 16

Tip 97 makes a beautiful victorian rose! Don't forget to post pics thumbs_up.gif

Ladycake Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Tip 97 makes a beautiful victorian rose! Don't forget to post pics thumbs_up.gif

I personally think that tip 97 is easier to make roses with then the 104..

Lisa Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 2:20am
post #14 of 16

Oh tip #97. Thanks!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 2:43am
post #15 of 16

someone suggested to me to use tip 116, it's a bigger version of 97. It is used with the big coupler, so you'd get some big roses! The trouble is, I can't find it locally to buy. (I have the Wilton decorating tip page open right now)

Lisa Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 16

I learned a couple things yesterday. One, I need to practice on my roses and, two, you can not airbrush frozen butter cream roses icon_sad.gif . I made a few yellow roses up and popped'em in the freezer to make it easier to put them on the cake. When I took them out, I went at'em with an airbrush filled with a peach color. They looked like they had been rained on--very polluted rain icon_cry.gif . Luckily I had enough still left in the freezer that I didn't have to start making more. I decided to just leave them yellow. The roses I was trying to match came from an edible image. They didn't print out like they should so the pressure of having to match them was gone--a blessing really. I'm still going to try airbrushing some roses one of these days. This time I'll do it before I freeze them thumbs_up.gif .

Oh...I'll post the cake in the gallery in a few minutes icon_smile.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%