"your Total Is. . ."

Business By nglez09 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 7:46am by VACakelady

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 29

I'm wondering how prices vary from various places and in comparison to established, free-standing bakeries.

How much do you start charging per slice for BC?

How much do you start charging per slice for fondant?

How much do you start charging per petit fours?

How much do you start charging for decorated coookies?

Do you have a minimum $ order amount on any of the above?

28 replies
Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 29

i'd like to know what everyone is charging too.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 29

BUMP!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:55am
post #4 of 29

I just visited and researched several of the bakeries that do custom cakes (wedding & "fancy" party cakes) in my area (Los Angeles), and here's what I found-

per slice for BC?
$2.50 to $6

per slice for fondant?
$4.75 to $6.50 (I saw one listing for "up to $12")

Cupcakes- $3-4

minimum $ order amount?
I have decided that I need to do this if I'm going to start selling cakes. I think mine will be $50 for "standard" cakes, $80 for sculpted or shaped cakes, and $200 for wedding or tiered cakes.[/quote]

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:00am
post #5 of 29

There is plenty of information in the forum archives. Use your key words in the search section and you will find that this very subject is asked at least once a week.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:04am
post #6 of 29

I no longer sell cakes, but when I did, I ended with prices for BC at $3.50/ serving. This is just frosted cake with borders, anything else was extra.

Fondant started at $5.00/ serving. Again, no frills.

Petit fours started at $4.50 each (I hate making them). One dozen was my minimum order for these and for cookies. Cookie prices vary tremendously.

HTH

Michele

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:26am
post #7 of 29

I think it would be really helpful to post the charged in the description of the photo...that way those of us who are starting out and haven't figured out how much to charge would have a better idea.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:36am
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware

I think it would be really helpful to post the charged in the description of the photo...that way those of us who are starting out and haven't figured out how much to charge would have a better idea.

It could be misleading. I charge a flat fee "per person". I don't charge extra for design in any way shape or form. As I tell my brides, "I can make a 3-tiered cake to serve 30 or I can make a 3-tiered cake to serve 300." To label a photo with a price of $250, you would also have to indicate how big the cake is, and the brides who are browsing the site looking for cake ideas would need to know that the cake designed for 100 can be made to serve 300 and vice versa. Some of you may be thinking "doesn't everyone know that?" and I'm here to tell you that brides don't know that. (And I've seen threads in which it seemed that some cake decorators dont' know that either.)

It would be interesting to see what kind of prices some cakes are receiving. I was at a recent ICES meeting in which we were shown a 3-tiered, fondant cake that garnered a price of $2700. Wow.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #9 of 29

I totally agree, it's hard to explain just the simple... "You're getting with my $3/slice a PARTY slice, which is on average 1x3x5... The bakery up the road is charging you $2.50/slice for a slice that is 1/2x2x3..."

I charge...
$2.50 starting -- rough iced or bettercreme
$3/slice -- smooth buttercream or basic coat of white fondant -- no frills..
$2.80/slice -- you get what I give you icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif (using their details of course in terms of the dress, invites, colors, etc.)
From there, it's completely dependent upon the "headache factor".. The bigger PITABZ the higher the total cost...

My "I can't turn on the oven for less than" minimum is $200.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:32am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

$2.80/slice -- you get what I give you icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif (using their details of course in terms of the dress, invites, colors, etc.)

So you get the details of the wedding theme etc and offer them a slight discount to let you have free reign over the design?...interesting!

I am starting b/c at $2.50 (I just raised it $.50) and
starting fondant at $3.50.

Because people want to make changes to the design to save 10 cents I also have the elements broke down... dress bow $25
looped bow $45
fondant accents starting at $1.50
Monograms and toppers $25 to $250
mpc

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:38am
post #11 of 29

My "I can't turn on the oven for less than" minimum is $200.[/quote]

You mean you're not the one who won't turn on the oven for now less than 3 grand? icon_lol.gif

Michele

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:40am
post #12 of 29

I am a novice and by no means anywhere near a professional, but I did want to mention that prices will vary from place to place. Deomographically speaking, large cities, where the cost of living is higher, usually charge more. Since I live in NJ and am originally from B'klyn, I know that stuff around here tends to be pricier, especially when I go into the city (NYC).

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:41am
post #13 of 29

i use the matrix... i love it and have tweaked it to my liking!!! if a bride needs a break down i can show it.. of course i dont expose the mark-up

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:42am
post #14 of 29
Quote:

My "I can't turn on the oven for less than" minimum is $200.

LOL @ I can't turn on the oven for less than....

I love it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:48am
post #15 of 29

Standard flavors with IMBC start at $3.00/serving, basic decorations.

Standard flavors with fondant start at $3.50, basic decorations.

Specialty cake flavors, $3.50 to around $5.25, basic decorations

Extra work start at $0.25/sv and goes up from there, depending on time and materials.

These will all be going up about $0.50 across the board in the fairly near future...

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:54am
post #16 of 29

I dont charge by the slice. I have a $150 minimum order, since all my cakes are custom made and i have so many flavours and fillings i can't put a base price on anything because i'd be going crazy with all the combinations.
Cakes start at $150 and that's it. THat is $150 Australian.
My cupcakes start at $3.80 but i have a minimum order of those too.

Nati

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:07am
post #17 of 29

I know my absolute strength is when I get free-reign on a design. I also stress less, so the $.20/slice is just how much stress I've got to execute a specific design. It also lets brides know they can get a fondant cake for less, but they've got to give up something in return. Giving up control for most people is harder than forking over the extra cha-ching for the specific design they want so it works as a double-bind from their perspective.

Basically, what I get is pretty much all of the details surrounding the day and as many pictures as I can. Centerpieces, themes, brides/groom's attire, bridesmaids attire, jewelry, invites, flower arrangements, colors, etc. To me coming up with an idea that combines chickens and knitting is easier for me than someone bringing in a photo of a $20,000 cake they want recreated for their cheapskates budget (aka "it's just cake, I really don't care" brides)...

Of course, when it comes to the minimum, before I got my license, it was like "I'll have my minimum at $500..." in my business plan... Then reality set in, I've learned that it costs me $89 to feed 100 regardless of fondant or buttercream, figuring in some wages for feeding 100, the $200 became a reasonable compromise. Of course, I'd just LOVE to have one of those "don't turn the oven on for less than $5000 kitchens" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:16am
post #18 of 29

Interesting answers. I would think everyone had a "set" price.

Boonenati, I've seen sites that also do this; they charge by project. Do you find it makes your job more or less easier and how do you find the result?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:27am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

....i can't put a base price on anything because i'd be going crazy with all the combinations.

Wow! I'd be going crazy trying to quote each cake from scratch every single time! icon_eek.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:46am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

Quote:

So you get the details of the wedding theme etc and offer them a slight discount to let you have free reign over the design?...interesting!

I am starting b/c at $2.50 (I just raised it $.50) and
starting fondant at $3.50.

Because people want to make changes to the design to save 10 cents I also have the elements broke down... dress bow $25
looped bow $45
fondant accents starting at $1.50
Monograms and toppers $25 to $250
mpc

I saw the pictures on your website, hopefully that isn't what you charged for those cakes, which are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would think you could easily add $1 to each of those per slice prices and not have anyone bat an eye.

alicegop Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:52am
post #21 of 29

I basically charge for myself .80 a serving to $1 and then add in supplies. For B/C that usually comes out to under $2........ but once I have my kitchen that will be going up. I basically go by my excel spreadsheet I created, it helps me to be the math control freak that I am (I teach math and a computer nerd), I like to know all of the breakdown icon_smile.gif So I don't have a set per slice price, but I definitely have a goal per slice price. Problem is, that didn't help me with my pricing for the 12 mini cakes I am making for tomorrow. They are more work than I had anticipated, so I figure I am making about $.50 an hour........ good thing it is for a friend! I'll never do these again.

Everyone, does your per slice price include the top layer?

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 7:37am
post #22 of 29

alicegop

Your Yosemite cake is pretty!

My Price per serving does include the top tier which I have measured and personally served 16 pieces from a 6" round x 4" tall cake. My slice is 1"x2"x4"d
8"-30
10"-48
12"-68
14"-92
16"-118
(thought I'd keep going with my servings list) icon_smile.gif

I also charge cakes by the job- like since you said you looked at my website... the airplane I charged $450 and 3-d trucks are $350 up
mpc

boonenati Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 7:43am
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

....i can't put a base price on anything because i'd be going crazy with all the combinations.

Wow! I'd be going crazy trying to quote each cake from scratch every single time! icon_eek.gif

I find that everyone wants something different. I dont see how i can put a set price, especially when my cake bases vary so much in price.
I dont do many cakes anyway, so it's not like im doing 5 or 6 quotes a week from scratch.
I also have a wonderful spreadsheet made by a brilliant person where you put the cake sizes flavours and it does heaps of different combinations, with diff flowers, models etc, and then it spits out the price.
Of course if i was only offering buttercakes filled with buttercream, and decorated in buttercream, then it'd be pretty easy to set a price by the slice, but i do that, and many other combos.
I guess that what works for one person, doesnt necessarily work for another : )
Nati

boonenati Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 7:47am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

Interesting answers. I would think everyone had a "set" price.

Boonenati, I've seen sites that also do this; they charge by project. Do you find it makes your job more or less easier and how do you find the result?

Nick
I find that if i divide the cakes by the number of servings, then the serving prices vary between $5.00-$8.00
it works well for me : )
Nati

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:50am
post #25 of 29

sugar flowers you said you no longer sell cakes/ why is that your cakes are amazing!!!!1

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:53am
post #26 of 29

Well I seem to do it a little differently. I charge per inch. So a fruit cake would be $NZ15 per inch so a 10" cake would be $NZ150 baked and iced in fondant icing. Ribbons, moulded flowers, toppers are extra. Mudcake and other flavours are $NZ12.50 per inch baked and iced. So the base rate for a stacked 10" 8" 6" mudcake would be $NZ300. I was never sure about the serving charge as it seemed to work out very expensive. These prices are for wedding cakes. I would be interested if anyone else does it this way.

alicegop Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:05pm
post #27 of 29

I'm still wondering if your pricing for wedding cakes includes the servings in the top layer?

I've been looking at the price per person withOUT the top layer....... but I'm starting to rethink that concept. I think royalfrosting gives a per serving price that includes ALL servings and then reports that it serves minus the top layer for guests.......... THOUGHTS?

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #28 of 29

How much do you start charging per slice for BC?
Prices start at $3.00/serving (weddings)
$2.50/serving (celebration cakes)

How much do you start charging per slice for fondant?
Starts at $3.50/serving

How much do you start charging per petit fours?
I don't make these

How much do you start charging for decorated coookies?
$1.00/inch

Do you have a minimum $ order amount on any of the above?
No

***I am a legal home based business, I have all of my "papers" and I operate out of a seperate health inspected kitchen. icon_smile.gif

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 7:46am
post #29 of 29

Wow, it's so interesting to see how everyone does things so differently. It always gives me new ideas on how to charge for things.

I personally start wedding cakes at $2.50 for BC and $3.50 for fondant, and certain embellishments are extra. As for everyday sheet cakes and such, I have a base price already set. I have recently started charging a per serving price for non-wedding tiered cakes as I have been getting more inquiries for those. I have never made petit fours, but would like to see how much of a PITA they are, LOL. As for cookies, I do basic drop cookies for $4 per doz and don't have a set price for decorated cookies, but I like the $1/inch thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%