Wish Me Luck!

Business By melodyscakes Updated 18 Nov 2005 , 10:26am by stephanie214

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 13

my craft show is this weekend at the private school. i am really excited, the thing that worries me is that my booth is #2 as you walk into the doors....but #1 booth is going to be a bakery that has done this show for 17 years. she doesnt offer the same things as i do, mostly she does strudels and muffins and cinn. rolls and cookies. i do decorated cakes and cookies. anyway, after posting and getting some great advice here, i am going with a snow theme, and my display cakes are going to be wintery. i am going to pass out my cards, and even going to do a drawing for a free cake. i will tell them to write there birthday months down on entry form and i will call them and will offer them a discount if they order a cake from me.
i will also be giving out samples of apple pie and taking orders.
when i did the small craft show last year, people owwwed and ohhhed over my cakes, then the next time they saw me they said, "oh, i shouldve called you for such and such cake" so i am hoping that getting there names and numbers will help me get the order.
i guess what i am concerned about is that everyone will by-pass me and go right to the bakery booth because thats what they've done for years.
i'll post sunday, after the show and let you know how it goes.
thanks for everything guys!
melody

12 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 13

You have small quantities of stuff bagged and ready for sale, don't you? Samples are nice, but some people actually want to take some things home to enjoy later.

Oh, and best of luck!

Debbi

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 13

yup, i am making some simple sugar cookies shaped like mittens going to sell them for $1.00each and some cupcakes with snowmen, going to sell them for 2 bucks. last year i made fancier cookies and priced them higher and didnt sell many, then i made simple cookies and sold for 1buck and they sold. anyway, they will be simple and cheap to make, and i should get my $30.00 back from the booth fee.
thanks!
melody

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 13

Good Luck. Everything will be fine. They will not bypass you, you are right there as the come in. That's a great spot to have. You are sure to be seen.

thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 13

Best of luck Melody! With your cakes, how could they pass you by icon_smile.gif

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 13

Good luck to you, i m going to a show myself in 3 weeks. This is my plan: I don't know who will be there but i m planning on standing out from everyone. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I M GONNA BE DOING
1-I m decorating my table really nicelly and I m using decoratins from my house (Christmas decorations, put a small rug in front of my table, use electric candles covered with small shades, a nice center piece...) you want to make it pretty so people a drawn to your table first.
2-Have your display cakes ready, try to include as many techniques as possible in each cake: pipping, flowers, shimmer.....anything you can do should be on your cakes
3-make one vibrant cake, with a lot of colors and put it on a stand for visual appeal
4-make a one sheet birthday cake maybe dora or sponge cake, they are very popular themes and you ll attract people that way.
5- make one extra cake to give away to a lucky winner thumbs_up.gif , which means for people to be part of it they have to fill out a form; That's where you get your info and contacts for later on.
6-have an extra chair, pens, order forms and a calender ready for people that want to put an order.
7-FREE BEES we all love them so put your samples out just like you would do if you were catering for a party.
8-Last and not least Tuck a flower in your hair, put a smile on your face and your best foot forward, and you'll have the best time ever.

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 13

All the best.
Every thing will be fine.

Thanks
Nitu

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 13

Good Luck!!!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 4:36am
post #9 of 13

All the best to you and remember this is a learning experience for you!
Hugs Squirrelly

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 4:50am
post #10 of 13

Good luck I hope everything goes, well.

JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 4:52am
post #11 of 13

You're gonna do great! I'm sending {{{{cake order }}} vibes your way! Let us know how it goes!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 5:06am
post #12 of 13

I love the idea of getting them to write their birthdays down for follow up phone calls! I think that you being next to the "bakery" table is a good thing. If people love going to that booth they will be sure to see you too!!

GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to hear how well you did!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 10:26am
post #13 of 13

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%