Dumb Question... How Do You Attach Ribbons To Your Cake?

Decorating By DanielleTanton Updated 17 Nov 2005 , 2:11pm by DanielleTanton

DanielleTanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleTanton Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:32am
post #1 of 14

I keep looking at the most beautiful wedding cakes with wide unedible ribbons wrapped around the base of each layer. How do you attach them and make them stick (if you are using fondant), and how do you eliminate a seam? Thanks for any input!

13 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:42am
post #2 of 14

Good question. I have wondered about this also.
Can you put also put a ribbon around crusted buttercream? How do you keep it sticking to the cake without taking off a bunch of icing when you take the ribbon off?

C

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:42am
post #3 of 14

I usually use a dab of buttercream icing every few inches to attach ribbon to cakes (as long as it's a material that won't end up with a grease stain from the BC). As far as not having seams showing, I only have one seam per tier (I wrap the ribbon all the way around and attach it as I go, then cut it). I always make sure the seam is in the back (or at a corner if the cake is square), overlap the ends just a little and secure with another dab of BC so the ribbon end doesn't stick out away from the cake. Hope that makes sense...I need to go to bed. lol icon_smile.gif

Edited to add: I use this method pretty much regardless of what the cake is iced with. But someone else may have a better suggestion; the way I do it certainly isn't free of headaches and hassles! icon_rolleyes.gif

DanielleTanton Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 4:03am
post #4 of 14

Thank you! What about for sheer ribbons? And Cakesoncall, thank you so much for your technique. You really don't have trouble with the grease from the BC seeping through? I guess royal could be used for any questionable ribbons...

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 14

Hi Danielle -

I did one ribbon on a buttercream cake and the grease very definitely changed the color of the ribbon. I read (somewhere here) that you can iron the ribbon on wax paper, cut it to size and then apply the waxy side of the ribbon to the cake to prevent seepage. Because my cake was just a practice, I simply stuck a little, matching pin in the seam in the back.

I am going to do my Course III final cake with ribbon on fondant. From what I have read, the grease isn't a problem with fondant. My instructor suggested attaching it with dots of royal icing rather than buttercream so as to not spot the ribbon.

Good luck if you try this! I love the ribbon cakes!

Christy

lng_1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lng_1978 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 14

What kind of ribbon is best? Does anyone have any types that worked best when dealing with buttercream?

Les

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 14

I did my own b-day cake (yeah, you read that right) and put a ribbon around it. It was an oval cake with gold ribbon. I just put it right on the buttercream and had no problem with it sticking. I put the ends toward the back and cut to fit. The grease didn't come through. Of course, the cake didn't last long anyway!

cesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cesi Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 14

I made a buttercream wedding cake with ribbon around it and what was suggested to me by my cake supply store owner was to tape packaging tape on the back side of the ribbon. and if its too wide just cut off the excess. i "glued" it on with some buttercream after my frosting had crusted and I had no problems with it at all. Just make sure you dont make the ribbon too tight around the cake. Hope this helps!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 14

I would suggest using royal icing. It will provide a more secure hold. That's not to say that buttercream can't be used.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 14

Suggestion for the ribbon - I have seen post that some people put oil on the back and run the ribbon threw their fingers to remove the excess oil. The ribbon will change in some cases. I have seen this on cakes and they look great and the ribbon will not get greasy. If you look at the cakes from the link below, this is how Lesia does her cakes and you see they look great. She also dabs icing where the ribbon is going to connect. Hope this helps.

http://www.tenderlovingcakes.com/pages/1/index.htm

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 14

If you look at my photos there is a 4 tiered stacked wedding cake with a ribbon around the bottom of each layer. I learned the hard way on this that the best thing you can do is stack your cakes, let the icing get completely set-up (crusted) and THEN add the ribbon! I used a little bit of buttercream to attach in the back.

BUNCHY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BUNCHY Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 2:25am
post #12 of 14

I've never personally tried this, but a trick a young lady in my Wilton Course said worked for her is... to iron wax paper on the back of the ribbon, so that it sticks and then apply to the cake. I think she has that comment posted on her picture (AnnieMae).

I hope this helps! Good luck

Bunchy thumbs_up.gif

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 14

On a whim - I used the gum glue I made with Tylose - because my ribbon was very sheer and I didn't want it to show through - and it worked super. I just brushed little bits on - totally transparent. And the ribbon stuck . I wish I would have taken a pic of that one - but I didn't because it was just a tiny practice cake.

But - I'm just starting out - so others probably know a lot better stuff.

DanielleTanton Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all for the replies! You have all been really helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%