O.t.---Very Exciting Oppurtunity

Lounge By cindy6250 Updated 16 Nov 2005 , 12:38am by edencakes

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:27am
post #1 of 24

I'm taking my first culinary class at the local community college. Tonight we were discussing courses for next semester...I asked my Instructor if it was possible to skip courses and go right to the Advanced Food Prep course because it is all about Pastries and Baking...He asked if I was really interested in Pastry and I said "Yes!!, That is what I want to do as my next career"....

To make a long story, not quite as long, he said that he spoke to a local chef yesterday who is looking for a pastry apprentice and gave me the name and number to call and said I could use him as a reference!!!
I am so excited and hope like heck that they haven't already hired someone!!!!

I think this would be a great learning experience and given that I work nights, it would not interfere with my full time work....I'm calling tomorrow and am so excited that I can't stand it....

Wish Me LUCK!!!!

Cindy

23 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:28am
post #2 of 24

Wait - where in Memphis are you taking these courses??? I'm so jealous (I live in Horn Lake)!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:31am
post #3 of 24

I'm going to Southwest!! You can go...I'm taking Food Prep 1 right now and it has been a lot of fun..
I haven't seen you on here lately..Did you get to go to the Peabody last week for the Food Network Challenge?

edencakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:34am
post #4 of 24

No - I didn't even know about it icon_sad.gif

I have been so busy lately (I'm changing jobs right now) I haven't had much opportunity to do ANYTHING lol. The only reason I'm up right now is because I've got a wedding cake, groom's cake and birthday cake all due this weekend... even though I have to be at work at 5am!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:38am
post #5 of 24

Yuck...I wish I was busy making cakes...I made a coconut cake yesterday for a friend's birthday and I have some orders coming up in a few weeks...I am really hoping this apprenticeship opportunity works out.

I went to the Food Challenge event and watched for a couple of hours, it was sugar art. But they did a birthday cake challenge on Thursday at Graceland and I couldn't go to that. It made me sick because I would have much rather watched the cake decorators!!!

edencakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:58am
post #6 of 24

Sounds like it was fun! I need to get more plugged in, so I at least know what I'm missing icon_lol.gif

If you don't mind me asking, where is the apprenticeship? It sounds like such a fantastic opportunity, I'm happy for you! Now, once you'll be learning so much, maybe you can teach me a little bit icon_rolleyes.gif

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:01am
post #7 of 24

It's at Yia Yia's in Germantown....It's a Euro Cafe??? I've never been there, have you?

edencakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:16am
post #8 of 24

I've never been there, but I used to work at the Gloria Jean's in Saddle Creek (a long time ago - before it closed - lol). I've heard that place is great, I just don't have the money to go somewhere that upscale!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:22am
post #9 of 24

I don't have that kind of money either, but I bet it would be fun to work there. I did prep work for school at the Child Advocacy Dinner at the Hilton Hotel about a month ago. There were a lot of chefs from Tunica there and we helped to prepare the meal. It was a very good experience and of course I attached myself to the pastry chef. He made an amazing dessert with a blondie, fresh strawberries, chocolate and strawberry sauce, yum. It tasted as good as it sounds.

edencakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:53am
post #10 of 24

That's awesome - I'm sure you'll go really far!

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 24

You are truly blessed! What a wonderful opportunity. Best of luck!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 24

Thanks Sweetsuccess,

I'm very excited, but nervous at the same time. I am sure this is going to be wayyy different than the baking I'm used to doing, but it is something that I really want to learn about. I'm retiring in 3 years and would really like to start my own business. This would give me some valuable knowledge about the food industry....

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 24

Congrats to you..that sounds very exciting! Don't be nervous...you'll do just fine!!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 24

Thanks MrsMissey,

I was thinking of trying to get a part time job in a bakery, mostly for the business experience and to get an idea of how an actual bakery is run, but this is even better to start out. I know if I get this that I will learn some amazing new things about baking. I'm going to call this morning and am really hoping they haven't already hired someone...

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 24

That is an incredible opportunity! I would love to do something like that. So happy for you! Could you ask them if they know anyone here that needs an apprentice icon_biggrin.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 24

congrats!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 3:21pm
post #17 of 24

Hey Cindy!

Wonderful to hear your great opportunity!! GO FOR IT!! Enjoy every minute of it!! I'm so happy for you!! I can't wait to hear all that you will learn!! Ya!!

So you & Edencakes live in Memphis? My DS & BIL lived at Horn Lake for about 5 years. They are living closer to Tunica now. They both have jobs at the boats there. We don't see them much which I hate. I love the Memphis area! Losts of wonderful stores!!

CONGRATS AGAIN & KEEP US POSTED!! Sending many blessings your way that you will get this chance!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 4:17pm
post #18 of 24

So happy for you...enjoy!!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 24

I am over the MOON!!!! I'm going to interview with the chef at 1:30 this afternoon. I'm also very nervous, I haven't interviewed for a job in years!!!
Any advice? I was thinking of taking my little album with my cake photos, does that sound like a good idea???

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 24

Good luck with your interview!!! Keep us posted as to how it went!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:18pm
post #21 of 24

tcturtleshell,

Yes, I think edencakes actually lives in Horn Lake.
I live a little north of Memphis....I have a DB and SIL who live in New Orleans...They were very fortunate to have had minimal damage to their home during Katrina, and no flooding. I love Louisiana, I have a lot of family roots there.
Do you know where Jonesboro LA is? That's where my great grandparents settled...

I will keep everyone posted on the apprenticeship.
Thanks so much for the encouraging words.

Cindy

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 11:07pm
post #22 of 24

Here's the Update:

Went for the interview which was very brief, but they invited me to come in on Tuesday to watch how things work and they asked me to fill out an application. So, we'll see how things go on Tuesday.

I think the only drawback for me is that I have no experience working in a restaurant. However, this is an apprentice position and I told them that I can work whatever hours they want me to and I really am interested in learning...I guess it's a matter of them seeing me in the kitchen and whether I pass muster there!!! EEEEKKK!!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:33am
post #23 of 24

I sure hope you get this!!!!!!! Keep us up to date! I can't wait to hear the good news!!

I kinda know where Jonesboro is. I live upstate in LA. New Orleans is a long way off from me. I'm glad to hear that your family came through the hurricanes ok! Cool that you have family here! Maybe one day we'll get to meet!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

edencakes Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:38am
post #24 of 24

I'm so excited for you! If you get it, I'll have to come by and sample your wares (yum!)

And you're right, I live in Horn Lake, although I spend a whole lotta time in Memphis! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%