What Can I Do After Wilton's ?

Decorating By Claudine1976 Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 3:17am by tcturtleshell

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:23am
post #1 of 7

I just finish my Wilton classes at michaels, i learned a lot, but I will like to continue improving my skills, does any one know about other classes in the Orlando florida area? thanks!!!

6 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

You should check with local cake supply stores in your area. I took a class from a cake supply store here and am planning to take a gum paste class after the first of the year. I personally felt that I got more personal attention at the cake store than at the Wilton's classes. The classes were so short that I felt rushed.

Hope this will help...I'm sure there is something in your area. There are several Culinary Academies there and you might want to check with them and see if they offer something.

Cindy

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 2:54am
post #3 of 7

It is good to check with any cake supply stores... many do offer classes. Usually they are more expensive. A community college in my area offered classes at one time too. So, you might check that out if there's a college near by.
Another suggestion is to retake the Wilton classes under another instructor. I know this may sound like odd advice, but each instructor has their own individual style and may share tips and techniques the other didn't. I haven't retaken the classes, but did have two different instructors. I learned different things from each one. Some of the information I threw out, some of it was very good. The price is low and you can only get better, so why not?! Since you're in the Orlando area there's bound to be another store who offers these classes. icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:03am
post #4 of 7

I totally agree with Cindy! After I took Wilton classes I went to my local cake supply store. I met the owners, we hit it off wonderfully!! Now we are all very close friends!! I go & visit every week! I get to open boxes & help but items on the shelves!! Sooo much fun!!

Anyway.. they offer a lot of different classes. I've taken fondant classes, candy making classes, air brush classes, & how to make petite fours. There's always a class there. You'll meet a lot of people who are just starting out too. They've asked me to teach MMF & FBCT's. That will probably be in Jan or Feb when I do that.

Another thing.. Your instructor that taught you at Michael's might offer classes in her/his home. Mine did. I just couldn't afford to take them. I would still love to though! So maybe call her/him to see about it.

Good Luck!! Don't be afraid to try different things too!! If you see a cake try it!! Believe me you can do it!!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:08am
post #5 of 7

My first class was a 6 week course at a local adult night school in PA. It was taught by a professional baker and was fantastic! Since then I have taken a three day course with Collette Peters and I know she teaches in the winter down in Ft. Lauderdale at the Notter Cooking school. That is definately a class worth taking if you want to get serious. Best of luck!

tcturtleshell Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:10am
post #6 of 7

Wow Wendy!! I just took a look at your blogspot!! I am totally impressed!!!!! You have done some awesome cakes!! Wonderful job!! I hope to be like you one day!!

tcturtleshell Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:17am
post #7 of 7

Claudine,

I just looked at your pics too. WOW!! You have a nac for decorating!! Look for more classes!!! You are good girl!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%