Ot...this Is What I Did Today...

Lounge By adven68 Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 5:33pm by twindees

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 21

Hi guys....I just thought I would let you know what I do besides cakes....

There is a business improvement agency in Brooklyn's Metrotech and their job is to beautify the area....so a store had gone out of business and in order not to be able to see the empty store, they commissioned me for a winter mural....

It's only temporary so I didn't detail it very much...but here it is....
LL

20 replies
thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 21

What a great job you did!!! I wish I were half that creative!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 21

No wonder your cakes are so great. You are a very talented artist!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 21

That is pretty cool!

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:03am
post #5 of 21

so pretty advent! Where in bklyn did you do it?
reminds me of when the school kids would come around every year to paint murals on all the storefronts for the holidays..only yours is much nicer looking of course. My husband used to have the kids do his window every year when he had his shop on 3rd ave

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:26am
post #6 of 21

You are a true artist! Great work. thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:28am
post #7 of 21

Oh my gosh...cutecookie...{Moderator Edited - to remove personal info}.....how cool.....are you in Bay Ridge too? What shop was your hubby's?

BTW...Brooklyn MetroTech is between Brooklyn Heights (where my DH has his office) and the Fulton Mall....it's actually a charming little neighborhood that had a few bad years...but they have made it beautiful again....today I worked a block away from Macy's down there....

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:32am
post #8 of 21

Small world adven..my husband used to own verrezano lock and key on 87th and 3rd. {Moderator Edited- to remove personal info from post}

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:40am
post #9 of 21

I never checked out your website. I knew you were artistic, but didn't know you were an actual artist (reading is fundamental!) Great job on the murals. I think I love the murals best of all your work. They are so artistic, but still manage to capture the fun spirit of the season. Great job!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 2:29am
post #10 of 21

That is fantastic! You're very talented. Great cause too thumbs_up.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 2:37am
post #11 of 21

wow..no wonder!

Painted eye indeed!

adven68 Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 3:45am
post #12 of 21

Hey Deeve....the "Eye" was a nickname from my late beloved uncle Steve. My name begins with an I and everytime he saw me he would playfully say "Hi "I" ". I, in return, would say "Hi, "S.".

So, it stuck..

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 3:55am
post #13 of 21

Ooh wow!! Looks great!

I'll have to see if i can spot it next time i go up to that area! I Love brooklyn Heights. icon_biggrin.gif

msty112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msty112 Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 5:01am
post #14 of 21

Wow you are so talented!!

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 5:05am
post #15 of 21

Great job! You are very talented.. Now we have the real white stuff up here already so I should commission you to do a lovely hot sunny beach scenes on all my windows so I don't have to look out at all the snow..
Liz

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 5:22am
post #16 of 21

Adven, that's GREAT!!

We have something in common.. I love to paint murals too BUT I've only done them for our church during Vacation Bible School & Sunday School. My dream is to do one on the side of a building. Not a huge one because I'm scared of heights!! Have you ever done a large one? I wouldn't know how to do it but I think it would be sooo much fun!!!! I would love to know what all you have done!!

adven68 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:32pm
post #17 of 21

Turtle...thank you soooo much!!!

I have been painting all my life....in the 4th grade I painted a mural for a backdrop for our school play, which was Peter Pan. Do you know that it is still hanging in the auditorium of that school?! (I'm 30-something!!)

In the 5th grade I won an art competition...my painting was displayed in the Brooklyn Museum of Art...

and it goes on and on....

So, I have done oils, mostly....you can see them on my website if you'd like:
www.thepaintedeye.com

and, I have been doing mural for the past few years....mostly seasonal stuff...it's hard when you know it will be washed off after the holidays...but I did a car dealership.......the whole darn store....and you know how big those windows are....I was totally exhausted and it took me all day to do it....

I want to do something permanent in the future....but I need to dedicate a lot of time to something like that...maybe when the kids are older....

Thanks for everyone's unending support!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 21

Great job adven68. I used to paint movie murals on the movie theaters windows here so 20 years ago (I fall out of the chair as I type that). They supplied the paint and I did the artwork--for $40.00. It was good spending money and I loved having people watch.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 21

wow! your amazing! i like that the community group would pay someone to paint an empty store front window, rather that it look so empty and depressing because another small business went under.
your work is great!!!
i wish someone would paint the windows on some of the empty spaces around here. too bad you dont like closer, haha
great job!!!
melody

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 21

You are one talented girl. That is so cool!
Judy

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 5:33pm
post #21 of 21

Wow Great Job. I will have to go downtown to see this. Great Job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%