Filled Cupcakes

Decorating By deb12g Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm by MillyCakes

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 21

Someone wants me to make Valentine Cupcakes, and she wants them filled. I imagine I could just fill a pastry bag with the filling, use a tip, and "inject" it into the cupcake? Am I right? Any special tips or techniques?

20 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 21

I did hundreds of these for a Saturday market. I used buttercream mixed with different jams and curds. Use a good large tip, stab it into the center of the cupcake. Fill gently, the cupcakes can burst if they get too full. It is ok if the filling shows a bit. Your top icing will hide it.

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 21

That's what I do. I use a round tip. I think it's a nice little twist to the usual cupcakes. icon_biggrin.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 21

I am going to try this!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 21

Me too - use the #12 tip

sinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinderella Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 21

I've also seen a method where u can take ur knife, hold it at a angel and cut a "cone" out of the top, scrape off the cake on the bottom of the top piece and fill with filling and then put the lid back on.....and cover with icing...

I hope i explained that ok...if u need for me to clear it up pm me and i will try to find it.

HTH

kitkatkit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitkatkit Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 21

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1111026949051689275GGmuAe This is a website where they take you step by step on how to fill cupcakes and make perfect ones. Let me know if this does not work.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 21

There is a special Bismark tip #230 that you can get for filling donuts, etc.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks to all of you! This is the greatest place to get quick answers!

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 21

Wilton also has a new cupcake book out with tips and tons of yummy filling recipes. They have a bismark tip made specifically for filling cupcakes. Just don't overfill, or they will burst!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 21

The easiest way to make sure you don't overfill is to watch the top of the cupcake--it will rise and the amount it raises will let me better guess how much fillling when in. If you are getting to much in it will start to crack, but again frosting will hide it!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 21

I use tip #5, worked great for me.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 21

I fill cupcakes all the time- same method as above. I also have a recipe for cheesecake cupcakes that are done a little differently. You put a small amount of batter into the cupcake liner and bake for a few minutes - until it just starts to set up. Then you place a dolup of cheesecake mixture and a little cherry pie filling an top of the cake. Cover that with more batter and continue baking. The cheesecake center is delicious! This is my most requested cupcake. Doing a BUNCH this week for Valentine's Day!

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 21

I also use the tip #230 is really handy

icon_smile.gif

this is a great new website from wilton

http://cupcakefun.com/techniques/index.cfm?category=26

icon_smile.gif

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 21

I was just coming to this site to post about filling cupcakes when I saw this thread icon_razz.gif I have a Wilton tip 230 that my uncle gave me along with all his old cake decorating stuff, my aunt told me it was for filling cupcakes but I wasn't quite sure how to do it... glad to read all the tips on here icon_smile.gif can't wait to try it!

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 21

Oooh! I've never tried this but it sounds so easy. Gives me a great idea for Valentine cupcakes for the kids' teachers. Thanks to all who posted tips.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 21

The "Cake Doctor" (it might be the "Chocolate Cake Doctor") has a recipe for filled cupcakes that you add the filling before baking. (I think it's mostly a cream cheese base, similar to a Hostess Cupcake). I havwen't tried it yet, but it is on my list!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 21

I filled cupcakes for the first time last we. I made the White Almond Sour Cream recipe and it came out great.

I made an Orange curd and filled the cupcakes. I put a BC damn around the edge and poured a chocolate ganache over the top.

They were delicious, and fun.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:58pm
post #19 of 21

When I fill my cupcakes I use a corer. It's designed to cut holes in cakes for putting columns in. It works really well and I can get LOTS of filling in my cupcakes.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #20 of 21

I just rec'd a customer request for filled cupcakes! Great thread! Also, if you had to guess, how much filling do you think you use in each one?

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm
post #21 of 21

I just made 400 filled cupcakes for an event! I used a bismark tip to fill. Be careful not to put in to much because they will leak and explode! (Those are the ones I eat! icon_redface.gif ) I have also used an apple corer! I "core" the top of the cupcake - fill it - and replace the top back in the hole - cover with icing! filled cupcakes are some of my best sellers! I especially love chocolate cupcakes with cookie and cream filling with vanilla buttercream on top!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%