Need Ideas - Black & Red Martini Cake?

Decorating By tinanh27 Updated 13 Nov 2005 , 1:43am by traci

tinanh27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinanh27 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 28

SOME ASK ME TO USE THE COLORS RED BLACK AND WHITE FOR HER BIRTHDAY CAKE (23 OR 24). SHE ALSO WOULD LIKE FOR ME TO USE MARTINI GLASSES ALONG WITH THE CAKE.

GUYS PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ONE THANKS IN ADVANCE

27 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 28

More info please!

How big a cake do you need (how many servings)?

What icings are you comfortable with ... buttercream, fondant, royal?

Is she looking for a fun cake or a more traditional one?

tinanh27 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 28

i like using mm fondant i would like to use gumpaste also but not quit sure how yet. she really does not care my choice. can u frost with royal icing are is it just for decorating only? thanks for answering me

tinanh27 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 12:42am
post #4 of 28

ok still hoping for some ideas

tinanh27 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 12:44am
post #5 of 28

I NEED HELP I NEED HELP I NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO LOST WHAT SHOULD A PERSON DO.

jennjd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennjd Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 12:45am
post #6 of 28

You could do a cake with black and white checkerboard as a board or trim around the sides. THen do the writing and other deco in red and do martini glass BCT with cosmopalitans wich are kinda redish pink and have cherries in them
hope that helps

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:00am
post #7 of 28

you could use a real (plastic) martini glass as a topper, maybe do scroll work in red or black and a border in the opposite color (just ice it it white) or you could do fondant cut outs in a fun shape- can you find a mini cutter that looks like a martini glass?) in the black and red.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:12am
post #8 of 28

Since martinis are sometimes served at formal affairs, you could do a tuxedo cake with a red bowtie.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&type=full&cat=0&pos=2

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:27am
post #9 of 28

Hi...I saw some really cute martini napkins at Tarket yesterday. I think it sounds like a fun theme for a party. I think I would do a sheet cake frosted white with a martini in the middle with an olive of course. You could do it out of fondant, a bct, an edible image, or a gel transfer. I would probably do your borders in red and then maybe do some black swirls or dots on the cake. The other option would be to do a two tier round stacked cake and use some kind of plastic martini topper or candles. I would probably do white mmf and then do rolled up fondant ball borders alternating between the colors of red and black. I hope that all made sense.
traci

traci Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:30am
post #10 of 28

Here is one that Freed's Bakery did...you could do something similar with red and black accents...this one does not look too difficult to sculpt.
LL

traci Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:36am
post #11 of 28

I also thought this one was kind of cute...found this image online.
LL

tinanh27 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:37am
post #12 of 28

OK I LIKE THESE THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:28am
post #13 of 28

Yes you can use royal icing to frost but you need a perfectly smooth surface to start with. In England we cover our cakes in marzipan first before even attempting to use royal. It can also be quite tricky to smooth correctly. I would recommend covering in fondant and if you can get hold of patchwork cutters there is one of a wine bottle and glass. The glass is shaped like a martini glass so I would apply a gumpase applique

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:53am
post #14 of 28

This is not my cake..... froma very talented person on this site icon_smile.gif but.... I love this one. The olive border is adorable!
LL

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:55am
post #15 of 28

It is Alimonkey's cake icon_smile.gif
LL

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:13am
post #16 of 28

Yes, Alimonkey's cake rocks.

Just a suggestion, but if you really have to have it in black, red and white, you could do the olives in black. I know that's totally not what you put in martinis, but that way you could still keep your color scheme. You could then do the bow in red and the cake in white.

Just a thought.

traci Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:30pm
post #17 of 28

Alimonkey's cake is awesome! I think you could go with a white cake, red bow, green olives and maybe a black border. That one is just too cute!
traci

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 28

does this client know she is asking for somehting weird? LOL.

Do you have to use real martini glasses? You can make a red and white cake with little black fondant or GP martini cutouts along the sides....

tinanh27 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 2:17am
post #19 of 28

that is to cute, also how do you use marizpan and what is it?

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:50am
post #20 of 28

I haven't used it since I've never really cared for it (might now though, my tastes have changed) but mostly it's just expensive. My grocery store carries it for $5 for 7 oz. Can you say ouch?!?!?!

From what I hear though it's great for modeling, easier to use than fondant. You can pretty much use the 2 interchangeably though.

From "The all-colour Cake Decorating Course" by Elaine McGregor:

"Marzipan has to have at least 25% almonds - anything less is almond paste. Neither uses nuts other than almonds. Marzipan has been used for centuries by confectioners. Its name means 'the bread of Mars.' It should be smooth and as malleable as potters clay. It can be used in baking, covering and sandwiching cakes and for making marzipan fancies and colourful cake decorations."

Here are 2 recipes from the above book. I'm sure it would be cheaper to make, though almonds are still expensive.

UNCOOKED MARZIPAN
The traditional marzipan tends to be oily and crumbly, a little like short pastry, when you roll it out. Because it is uncooked, it is not advisable to store it for more than 2 or 3 days before use. If you do have to store it, wrap it tightly in clingfilm and put it in a cool part of the regrigerator. You can also feeze it for up to 6 months. If you are using uncooked marzipan to cover a cake which is to be kept, add a T of alcohol to act as a preservative.

1 lb caster sugar (you'll have to ask Miss Baritone or another Brit what this is) sifted
1 lb. confectioners sugar, sifted
1 lb ground almonds
1 T rum, brandy, whiskey or a few drops of lemon juice or orange flower water (opt)
2 large or 3 small eggs (or 4 yolks only)
Makes a generous covering for a 9" round cake.

Combine the 2 sugars. Add ground almonds and mix thoroughly. Make a well in the center and add the rum or other flavoring. Gradually add the lightly beaten eggs and stir with a wooden spoon to form a stiff paste. You may not need all the egg. If it is too soft it will be difficult to handle.

Gather together with you hands and knead until well combined.

Knead lightly on a sugard work surface until smooth. Avoid overkneading or it may become greasy.

COOKED ALMOND PASTE
This is a quick-drying paste that is not oily. It keeps well for several weeks in the refrigerator, but if possible make 24 hours before using. Store in an airtight container or double wrapping of clingfilm. If it dries, moisten with a little egg white. Cooked almond paste tastes better than the uncooked and you avoid any grittiness of texture by dissolving the sugar in water before using it.

1 lb granulated sugar
150 ml/3/4 c water
lg pinch cream of tartar
12 oz ground almonds
2 egg whites

Put the sugar and water into a large pan over a very low heat. Stire with a metal spoon until all the sugar has dissolved.

When the sugar has completely dissolved, addt he cream of tartar and bring the syrup to a boil Boil rapidly without stirring until it reaches soft ball stage (240)

Stop the boiling by plunging the base of the saucepan in a basin of ice water. Stir in ground almonds.

Stir in egg whites. Return to low heat and stir until it begins to thicken slightly.

Turn onto a work surface lightly sprinkled with icing sugar and work with a spatula until it begins to cool and thicken. As you work the paste, sprinkle icing sugar to keep it from sticking.

When it gets cool enough, knead with your hands. It will take up to half its weight in icing sugar. The finished aste should not feel dry to the touch. Be careful not to add too much sugar at a time or it will become too dry and will crumble when rolled or worked. The more sugar you add, the harder you will have to work to disperse the oils produced by the almonds.

Store in an airtight jar or ziptop bag.

There. Long enough for ya?

tinanh27 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 12:19pm
post #21 of 28

o my god I am so lost right know. I bought a cake book yesterday. Why do you need to use marzipan and fondany together?

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 12:46pm
post #22 of 28

You don't have to use them together....You can use one or the other.....If you use fondant to cover the whole cake, you will need to coat your cake with a layer of buttercream first. This will make the fondant adhere to the cake....Then if you are doing cut-outs of fondant to attach, you can use royal icing to make them stick.....
Marzipan is similar to fondant and used to cover
cakes and to make figurines etc....It is made with
ground almonds and has a little different texture and different taste than the fondant...

Does that help??

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 2:49pm
post #23 of 28

Is it a Debbie Brown book? In England they use both marzipan and fondant because the marzipan gives you a nice smooth surface to put the fondant on. Wedding fruit cakes traditionally have marzipan and royal icing for the same reason I think. Over here in the states though you can do whatever you want, and that almost always means fondant rather than marzipan.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 1:09am
post #24 of 28

i actually had the same request from a client. she wanted a martini cake with red and white. i really stressed over it but it turned out to be quite easy, i'll try to post it, i've never done it before so let me see if i can fiqure it out!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 6:10am
post #25 of 28

Caster sugar is known over there as superfine sugar

We use both marzipan and fondant as most of our cakes are rich dark fruit cakes. If we just used fondant you would get a bumpy surface on the icing. If we just use marzipan you don't get that nice white traditional look so we use both, the marzipan to get the smooth surface (although it is a bit cheaper over here) and fondant to get the nice look

If we're icing a sponge cake then we just tend to use fondant and the rich marzipan doesn't go that well with the light taste and texture of the cake plus the surface is much smoother

tinanh27 Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 1:28am
post #26 of 28

ok update ok cake the colors are red black and white.

what do you guys think about this.

round cake with black ribbon adding white ribbon over the black ribbion ( a little smaller) then red ribbion

or should i use just the black and white ribbon and and red roses on top (real or silk not sure yet) or should i make a red bow on top??????

tinanh27 Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 1:23am
post #27 of 28

HELLO STILL WAITING ON YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!!!

traci Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 1:43am
post #28 of 28

I think if you are frosting in white you could get away with using black and red ribbon only. You do not want to overdue the ribbon...you might have a hard time appplying it to the cake. Maybe for the top...you could do a multicolored ribbon with red, black, and white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%