Ot...what To Do With My Parrot?

Lounge By KayDay Updated 30 Sep 2006 , 3:53am by morg

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 3:50am
post #1 of 28

I know..I know, this is about as O.T. as you can get. But I bought an Amazon Blue Front Parrot a little over a year ago. I know it isn't a good idea and as concerned animal lovers we should try to stop the import of these animals...but it is a lesson learned too late. I had wanted one ever since as a little girl I saw one named Sam at the local K-mart pet dept and he said hi to me...I was lost! As soon as I was able to afford a 1,500.00 bird..Cher was MINE!...yeah, thats her name. And I am not even sure that she is a she.

At any rate what I am wondering is what to do with her? I didn't realize that they were such time consuming pets. She needs lots of veggies, fruits and interaction. I dont feel like I am the best for her. Since opening my shop especially. I don't know if it is ok to run an ad and sell her...I would hate for someone else to get her that might do a worse job than I am. I also hate to GIVE her away as much as I spent on her. Any idea? I know a lot of smart folks here so..HELP!!

I also forgot to add that she talks constantly...( no profanity) Hello..hi...pretty bird,no....whatcha doin? about 150 words and sings a bit. Old Mc Donald.

27 replies
KayDay Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:04am
post #2 of 28

BUMP?

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:14am
post #3 of 28

I know you don't want to lose money on it, but if you have a zoo in the area that is willing to take it, especially since it can talk, they can use it for educational purposes..... or if you have an aviary in the area, that is another option.

Debbi

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:25am
post #4 of 28

If you cannot sell her, I would look into the zoo, most have Avian programs and use the hand-feds for education. The birds are well taken care of and get a lot of love and attention from the caretakers. I am assuming that she is hand-fed and not a wild caught bird..as importing them has been illegal for some years now.
If you sell her, be very nosey about where she is going (what kind of home, other animals, wild children, cage size, all stress factors, etc). I've seen wonderful (and expensive) birds die in the hands of the wrong people, however well meaning. Most people do not realize the time and care involved in these types birds when they purchase them and most retail sellers do not do enough to educate the potential owners.
You might also look at consignment with a pet store that sells large birds, most stores will do this. You can sell her outright to a pet store, but expect a loss (about half). Remember that Parrots have a long life span, and if taken care of, they will outlive the owner, so take time in making an appropriate decision on her new home..as they have to live there for quite a while!
Hope that helps!
Dale

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:35am
post #5 of 28

Call your local exotic vet. I am a vet tech and people call in all the time with animals for sale or giveaway. They should be able to hook you up with another bird lover in your area. Perhaps that person would be interested. Then you know it is a person with knowledge of the bird and it is a person who visits their vet often enough for someone in the office to make the connection.

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:50am
post #6 of 28

My first reccommendation would be vet. My cousin's family own their own hospital and they alwys get these questions. Second is ZOO. Either is a good place to start. Did you ever consider taking Cher to your store?? If possible. I bet She would LOVE the attention.
Michelle

KayDay Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 5:56am
post #7 of 28

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you all for some ideas. I am going to check with my vet as soon as possible. I know I won't get my money back on the bird...I have 1,500.00 in her..and another 700.00 in the huge cage I bought her. I was hoping to get half my money back. I could be ok with that. I was thinking that if I ran an ad...I would ask 800.00 for the whole set up plus bird. We live and we learn!

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 28

Sorry for your predicament but I think you are making the right decision for your bird. I think the vet idea is good. I have a friend in GA that has several large birds. If you don't mind, I will copy your email and send it to her and see what she has to suggest. I know she has bird sit for some people (military deployment situations) and she has hand raised a lot of bird for a breeder. She might be able to help you out with a suggestion or might possible even know someone in the market for that kind of bird.

Good Luck.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 28

I had a 6 ft 90 lb boa constrictor several years ago and when I got pregnant I didn't think it would be a good idea to keep him/her around any longer. I contacted our local zoo where they had a snake house and they were excited to take in a large snake that was very friendly to use in their hands on demonstrations and field trips. I also found out that Sampson was really Delilah! They eventually added her to their breeding program and we got passes to the snake house so we could visit. I was more concerned about the well being of the snake than the $ I could get for it and I know I made the right decision.

Debbie

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 28

This is why it's always a good idea to do your homework about potential pets. A lot of people get pets because it's the cool thing to do but they dont realize how time consuming it can be. I hope there is a zoo in your area that's willing to take the bird. A lot of zoos have been turning animals away because too many people are buying exotic pets then realizing they are too much trouble to take care of...

KayDay Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 28

( I know it isn't a good idea and as concerned animal lovers we should try to stop the import of these animals...but it is a lesson learned too late. I had wanted one ever since as a little girl I saw one named Sam at the local K-mart pet dept and he said hi to me)

I KNOW that it wasnt the smart thing to do and I think that I mentioned that....(see above)..and I didnt give a crap what was "cool"...I love the bird and wanted one since childhood....I take excellent care of cher...but as we dont always plan on divorces etc and having to become a familys sole support and having to open a business and give it almost as much time as the kids. But once again...we live and learn and we grow and go on. I am doing what I think is responsible and trying to find someone who can offer her more than I can at this time in life. I still think that she is better off with me than she was in the pet store...but I will figure out something. I would love to see someone enjoy her to the maximum.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 28

I work at a Humane Society and unfortunately this happens to a lot of people and not just with parrots.

You are doing the best you can for your bird.

If you do put an ad in the paper you can require that the person who buys her has previous parrot experience. Be sure and sit them down and talk to them about all her needs.

If you can't find a buyer, try calling your local Humane Society. We get lots of birds and snakes and ferrets, etc. They tend to get adopted quickly and the person who adopts them has to go through an application process. We always educate them and offer then follow up behavior help if they need it.

Best wishes,

KayDay Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 28

Thanks Amy....I am checking all my options at the moment and though I would love to get some of my money back...that is way down on the list of priorities. Making sure someone knows how to take care of her and everything is far more important although (unless it is a zoo) I have reservations about giving her away also thinking that if someone is willing to pay for her thay do WANT her more than if someone was just offering to give it to them. Mosy anyone who saw this beautiful baby would want her. she is green with blue and a lot of red and royal blue on her tail...when she spreads her wings she looks like a rainbow! Hopefully I will find a great situation for her soon! Ill keep you guys posted on the "Cher saga".

smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 28

KayDay, I went ahead and emailed my friend for you. I hope you don't mind. Here is what she had to say.

Quote:
Quote:

Tell her to contact a breeder/dealer who may be interested in buying her or maybe selling the bird for her. Any idea where she is?? She can check the www.BirdsnWays.com website, they list all the different shows that are coming up... maybe she can check one out & find a buyer there.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

KayDay Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 28

God bless and THANKS! You guys are truly like an extended family!

smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 9:26pm
post #16 of 28

Just got another email from my friend.

Quote:
Quote:

Looks like there is one this weekend. Maybe she can go check it out Saturday & if she finds someone, take the bird to them on Sunday. Hope it helps.
November 12-13 - Pelham/Birmingham, AL - Exotic Bird Fair & Sale
Pelham National Guard Armory,1000 Yeager Pkwy., I-65 exit 242 (just South of Birmingham). (423)-240-8423 Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 10am-4pm, Admission: $3, 12 and under free.

Your welcome. I feel for you, I have been in a similar situation. You can not plan for everything in life. After years of trying to get prego, we figured it would never happen so we got a puppy. Well one month later guess what I found out. Yeap, I was preggo and then 9 months later we found out we were expecting again. Needless to say another blessing but it took all my time and the puppy didn't adjust well to the kids. After he nipped my toddler when she accidently feel on him, we decided to find a new home for him where he could get the attention he needed and my babies could have their Mom's full attention. I hated it but given the situation, I would do it again so the everyones best interest was at hand.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 28

Here's a suggestion and it's only a suggestion what if you gave the bird to the zoo and sold the cage for around the same price you paid for it, that way you know the bird is well taken care of and you still get money for the cage. I'm sure there are a lot of people looking for a cage, even if you asked $100's less than what you paid, somebody is still getting a deal, you're not empty handed and the bird which I'm sure is your biggest concern is in a good place and you can rest easy!

Just a suggestion........ icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 1:50pm
post #18 of 28

I know that a lot of dog breeds have rescue chapters. I wonder if there is a parrott rescue? Maybe something to look into.
Good luck to you ~ I know it's not easy!

Deb

gleglega Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleglega Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 6:24pm
post #19 of 28

but as we dont always plan on divorces etc and having to become a familys sole support and having to open a business and give it almost as much time as the kids.

How long have you been divorced, kayday? I am going thru one myself right now and am in the midst of getting a cake decorating business started to support myself and my kids.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 6:49pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbysYummys

. Did you ever consider taking Cher to your store?? If possible. I bet She would LOVE the attention.
Michelle

Animals are not allowed by the Health Department policies to be in places where food is being served.

and now with the "AVIAN" flu poised for an epidemic..(according to the biased news out there) they would REALLY frown at Cher being at the shop.

I"m sorry that you have to deal with this dilema. We tend to love our pets..at least those of us crazy enough to think of them as our babies..lol...with a blind love and tend not to want to part with them without some reasurances that they will be taken care of. I think a vet connection would be the best way to go.

I know that as much as I wanted to KILL my Houdini for sitting on the box that contained my daughter's reception cake and ruining the design. He's still living a life of privilege amongst his humans!

hth

KayDay Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 7:00pm
post #21 of 28

No, I wouldnt have considered taking Cher to the shop. I wasn't sure about health dept. regulations on that one...but to me it would have just felt nasty.I still haven't gotten answers back from anyone about her..keep your fingers crossed guys!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 7:55pm
post #22 of 28

you can go and check on this site....make a few posts, and perhaps you will get someone who will take him/her off your hands..it's home based in New Zealand, but there are many many people on there that are from around the states...I'm a "member" also....

KayDay Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:09am
post #23 of 28

What site Flayv?

KayDay Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:21am
post #24 of 28

Sorry gleglega...I just saw your post...I have been div from the kids dad for 5 years now.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:48pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

What site Flayv?

duh!!! I am so empty headed lately....sorry.... here it is....there is a special forum for parrots too....

http://www.lovebirds.co.nz/forum/index.php?board=17.0

also I asked a friend of mine that works at petsmart, and she said they have "adoption" events for dogs and kittens and cats you could put a sign up there or see what they can help you with. do you have a petco? petsmart? in fact any other pet store too, there just might be a board where you can put a sign there with a pic...or have you done that...I told you I have been empty headed lately!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:30pm
post #26 of 28

What about private schools that have class pets? My son went to a Montessori preschool and they had birds, frogs, hamsters, fish, a bunny, etc. The pets were incorporated into the learning experience. A child would be chosen to feed the bunny, another to water the hamsters, another to sweep under the birds cage, etc. The animals went home with staff over weekends and holidays. Just a thought. Good luck with your dilemma! icon_smile.gif

gleglega Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleglega Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 12:11am
post #27 of 28

[quote="KayDay"]

Sorry gleglega...I just saw your post...I have been div from the kids dad for 5 years now.[/
quote]

Oh! My bad. I thought it happened just recently. I thought you said you got your parrot a year ago and now had to get rid of it because of a divorce+having to open your own business to support your babies. I was all ears because I thought we're in the same boat. I must have misunderstood icon_confused.gif

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 3:53am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

I know..I know, this is about as O.T. as you can get. But I bought an Amazon Blue Front Parrot a little over a year ago. I know it isn't a good idea and as concerned animal lovers we should try to stop the import of these animals...but it is a lesson learned too late. I had wanted one ever since as a little girl I saw one named Sam at the local K-mart pet dept and he said hi to me...I was lost! As soon as I was able to afford a 1,500.00 bird..Cher was MINE!...yeah, thats her name. And I am not even sure that she is a she.

At any rate what I am wondering is what to do with her? I didn't realize that they were such time consuming pets. She needs lots of veggies, fruits and interaction. I dont feel like I am the best for her. Since opening my shop especially. I don't know if it is ok to run an ad and sell her...I would hate for someone else to get her that might do a worse job than I am. I also hate to GIVE her away as much as I spent on her. Any idea? I know a lot of smart folks here so..HELP!!

I also forgot to add that she talks constantly...( no profanity) Hello..hi...pretty bird,no....whatcha doin? about 150 words and sings a bit. Old Mc Donald.

Did this bird ever find a decent, loving home?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%