Keep A Clean/icing Free Serving Board?

Decorating By Amylou Updated 18 Mar 2005 , 4:41pm by cathysc

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 11

I always seem to have some icing on the serving board close to my cake from decorating the bottom border. How does everyone keep a clean serving board? Do you decorate it only on a cake-size board and then place it on a serving board?

Thanks!

Amy

10 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 1:15am
post #2 of 11

I have the same problem. I usually take a hot washcloth or wet paper towel and very carefull wipe off the excess icing before I put the finishing trim along the bottom.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 11

Before you put the cake on the board put down some parchment paper or wax paper over the board. Then put the cake down. Ice the cake & smooth it. After your done w/ that part just pull the parchment paper out from underneath the cake! Do this slowly!! Then you can do your borders & there is little or no clean up!! I do this all the time. If I forgot I just do what m0use suggested. Hope that helps!!!

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 11

I have done the parchment under the cake thing, but instead of pulling it out from underneath I cut it with a knife lightly enough to just cut off the outside edge of the paper. I spread icing under my cake to stick to the board, so I wouldn't be able to pull the parchment out from under the cake without it sticking to my icing spread.

I guess my problem, too, is that when I do my bottom border, sometime it tends to "smear" a little on the cake board, or the bottom of the border flattens out a bit being up against the board. Guess I need to come up some when doing my bottom borders!

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 11

I usually cut strips of wax paper and tuck them a tiny bit under the edges of the cake. When I'm done frosting & I pull the strips out. The mess that would be on my board is now in the trash and the bottom boarders are perfect & clean. The hot washcloth method also works well. Just be sure that you have twisted your washcloth to get rid of most of the water before it gets anywhere near your cake.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 8:21am
post #6 of 11

thats exactly what I do. THats one thing that I know looks good with my cakes. About the only thing that I am ever sure of. wax paper does well.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 11

you should always have small strips of wax paper slightly around the cake, so you can easily pull them out when your done!

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 11

I dont think I will ever run out of wax paper again. I did once, and was really nervous... used saran wrap though and it worked, but rather have the wax paper.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 11

girl, you were brave using saran wrap! icon_eek.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 11

it was only to protect the surface from frosting.... I didnt think it would matter... but I do have to say I did not like using it.... to slippery..... you can make a mistake once and learn from it, and I did just that!!!!

cathysc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathysc Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 11

i am not wild about asking this question. but does anyone have any ideas about how to make a cake shaped like a penis? cathysc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%