Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things NOT to ask/say to a baker! - Page 2

post #16 of 2872
Thread Starter 

so my other contribution led me to take some time off from caking. :(

 

through email someone wanted a pretty extensive cake for a baby shower, provided a expert picture and all. I quoted my price and of course she went down to simpler. After getting down to simpler I gave her my price and she replies with "Well, I would really like to stick between $80-$90". when I wrote her back I said "this pricing is based on servings no matter what the design and it will be $100"...she response with "If we could stick between $80-90 dollars that would be great!" I wasn't budging and she wrote me the next day that she had found someone else! GOOD RIDDANCE! 

It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
post #17 of 2872
My mother in law also doesn't like fondant so for the holidays she away says. "Bring a cake with your yummy buttercream frosting not that other gross stuff" meaning fondant as the gross stuff
post #18 of 2872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita View Post

My mother in law also doesn't like fondant so for the holidays she away says. "Bring a cake with your yummy buttercream frosting not that other gross stuff" meaning fondant as the gross stuff

YUP! that is what my step mother was implying as well. they see nothing wrong with it :( hurts my feelings 

It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
post #19 of 2872
Oh I can't forget the one I did this summer where I had sucker wrote all over my head. This lady had heard from my neighbor that I make yummy cakes so I go to her house we talk about the cake and she couldnt or didn't know how many people would show for her daughter's 16th birthday party so she said anywhere from 20 to 60 people than gave me a huge sob storty that she really can't afford much and how she had done a lot of shopping around already for a cake and how disappointed she was that Wal-Mart wouldn't make her a specialty cake than came the hurting words "it's just cake not like its a big deal to make one" yes she proceeded to place a order with me getting a specialty cake and cupcakes for a dirt cheap price
post #20 of 2872
Quote:

Now, this comes from my step-mom whom i know HATES fondant. i'm bringing a cake to a holiday gathering this weekend and she asks me in a text:

 

with buttercream frosting?

I would have texted back, what flavour would she like?

 

My mother-in-law asked such questions over the phone with a gentle wistful tone of voice, and I always felt that she was being reasonable.  Her son-in-law was infamous in her family of very good cooks for only eating 10 foods, so the question made some sense.  I have also been asked a similar question by dinner guests who have a violent nut or seafood allergy, and again they ask calmly and I reassure them that I remember their special needs.  

 

On the other hand, "can I get this cake cheaper" gets me flaming mad.  

 

Ditto for "you didn't really need that cake book back, did you?" when my copy of Lambeth disappeared into the ether of friends-of -friends...

post #21 of 2872

F...u....n...n...y... post! 

 

My first 2 tier cake was going in my car and a neighbor came by and "ooooh'd and aaaah'd" and said, "You should sell these!  You could get lots of money!"

 

Yeah.......right...... That hobby cake only took about 30 hours.  

 

Thank Goodness I only do this for fun.  I might poke somebody's eye out if I had paying customers.

 

--------------------------

 

By the way, no need to use "moist" when describing your cakes.  Here are some possible synonyms:

damp - wet - humid - dank - soggy - dewy - watery

 

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

post #22 of 2872
I too just had a close friend tell me that I really should sell my cakes that I would make a good living right ok as my last post where the lady says she can't really afford a specialty cake but wanted one and after all its just cake. Grrrr
post #23 of 2872

lol.. this is what happened a few weeks ago.

 

Customer: I need a 2-3 Tier Wedding Cake

Me: So will that be a 2 Tier or 3 Tier Cake?

Customer: hmmm....3 Tier 

Me: Ok, so can you advise me of the Bride & Grooms Colour Theme

Customer: The Groom is Black and his Bride is White!!!

The Sky is the Limit... If you ARE prepared to fly.

 

Success is not a destination...it's a journey.

 

http://www.noveltycakeslondon.com

Reply

The Sky is the Limit... If you ARE prepared to fly.

 

Success is not a destination...it's a journey.

 

http://www.noveltycakeslondon.com

Reply
post #24 of 2872

Another to add to the collection....

 

Will it be cheaper if we used Chopped Fruits instead of Whole Fruits for a fruit cake???

 

Answer is ......errrrr No it will cost you more! lol :o)

The Sky is the Limit... If you ARE prepared to fly.

 

Success is not a destination...it's a journey.

 

http://www.noveltycakeslondon.com

Reply

The Sky is the Limit... If you ARE prepared to fly.

 

Success is not a destination...it's a journey.

 

http://www.noveltycakeslondon.com

Reply
post #25 of 2872
Nixs 247 I would of fell over laughing the I guess rephrased the question "what colors would you like on the cake , what color of flowers would you like" as I would still be laughing
post #26 of 2872
Sounds like people think of all kinds of different ways to get a Cheap Specialty cake
post #27 of 2872

Kazita...when I'm having a trying day - my first post always puts a smile on my face.

 

Classic...lol

The Sky is the Limit... If you ARE prepared to fly.

 

Success is not a destination...it's a journey.

 

http://www.noveltycakeslondon.com

Reply

The Sky is the Limit... If you ARE prepared to fly.

 

Success is not a destination...it's a journey.

 

http://www.noveltycakeslondon.com

Reply
post #28 of 2872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixs247 View Post

lol.. this is what happened a few weeks ago.

 

Customer: I need a 2-3 Tier Wedding Cake

Me: So will that be a 2 Tier or 3 Tier Cake?

Customer: hmmm....3 Tier 

Me: Ok, so can you advise me of the Bride & Grooms Colour Theme

Customer: The Groom is Black and his Bride is White!!!

OMG!!! LMAO! YOU JUST MADE MY NIGHT! 

It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
post #29 of 2872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti View Post

F...u....n...n...y... post! 

 

My first 2 tier cake was going in my car and a neighbor came by and "ooooh'd and aaaah'd" and said, "You should sell these!  You could get lots of money!"

 

Yeah.......right...... That hobby cake only took about 30 hours.  

 

Thank Goodness I only do this for fun.  I might poke somebody's eye out if I had paying customers.

 

--------------------------

 

By the way, no need to use "moist" when describing your cakes.  Here are some possible synonyms:

damp - wet - humid - dank - soggy - dewy - watery

 

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

nice synonyms! ;) 

 

i don't get why people started with the whole "you should sell these" line. they don't have a business, they have no idea what they entail. why can't they ask "would a business work for you?" or something nicer...oh wait, people aren't nice :/ lol 

It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
post #30 of 2872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

I would have texted back, what flavour would she like?

 

My mother-in-law asked such questions over the phone with a gentle wistful tone of voice, and I always felt that she was being reasonable.  Her son-in-law was infamous in her family of very good cooks for only eating 10 foods, so the question made some sense.  I have also been asked a similar question by dinner guests who have a violent nut or seafood allergy, and again they ask calmly and I reassure them that I remember their special needs.  

 

On the other hand, "can I get this cake cheaper" gets me flaming mad.  

 

Ditto for "you didn't really need that cake book back, did you?" when my copy of Lambeth disappeared into the ether of friends-of -friends...

her text more-so meant "there better not be fondant on that cake" because she complains every single time. she knew it was wrong to ask. and my response was "i'm going to make what i make". because when it's MY cake i make no one is going to tell me how to do it! and she knows all this.

 

 

the Lambeth book...oooHHH i would have been fighting someone! ;) jk 

It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!