I have tried many doctored box mix and scratch recipes for Italian Cream Cake, and finally came up with one that always gets rave reviews. It starts with the ease of a boxed mix and ends up moist, yummy, rich, and delicious. Toasted coconut flakes and pecan pieces add wonderful flavor.
AMAZING Italian Cream Cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines Coconut Supreme cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, cookie pieces size, toasted in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until they smell nutty (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted in 350 degree over for 7 minutes or until golden brown (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)
- Mix all ingredients on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into greased cake pans Bake in 350 degree oven until toothpick has some crumbs clinging to it. Don’t bake it until the toothpick comes out completely clean and the sides have shrunk from the pan, or else the carryover cooking will make the cake be overbaked.
- This makes enough for one 8″ x 3″ round and one 6″ x 3″ round, or two tall 8″ x 3″ layers, or one tall 10″ x 3″ layer.