I was on a mission to find an icing that resembled the chocolate icing from the Great American Cookie Company. I tried at least 4 before I found this one from Wilton that I tweaked a bit. It is so silky smooth, dark and decadent and pipes very nicely.
Dark Chocolate Buttercream
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1/2 cup Butter-Unsalted (softened)
- 7 oz Chocolate squares, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 lb Powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp Milk (more or less adjust to consistency you want)
- Melt chocolate squares
- Cream shortening and butter
- Cool chocolate. Add chocolate and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- Icing will appear DRY
- Add milk (room temp or slightly warmed) and beat until light and fluffy.
- **Add 3-4 Tbsp of light corn syrup to thin icing per recipe.
- Keep covered with damp cloth until ready to use.