I stumbled across this recipe online and I love it. Very creamy and makes decorations beautifully. Got best results with the VIVA paper towel method!
Crusting Buttercream Icing (VIVA Method)
- 2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, softened.
- 1-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp. clear vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water for icing cake -OR- 1/4 cup for stiff consistency.
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Cream butter, shortening, and extracts until creamy and smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and water. Mix thoroughly on medium speed for hand mixers, low speed for stand mixers, until smooth and creamy. Do not overmix or mix on high speed.
- For whiter icing, use butter without dye (health food stores)
- For stiffer icing, use 1/4 cup of water instead of 1/3 cup.
- If you live where it is humid, you can add 1-2 tbsp. meringue powder.
- Let set for 15 minutes before smoothing with a VIVA paper towel.
- Icing can be refrigerated for 2 weeks in an airtight container. Iced cake can sit at room temp. for 2-3 days.
- *Any flowers made with this recipe remain soft enough to be cut with a knife.*