This is a recipe for a crusting cream cheese icing that I’ve seen floating around this site in the forums. People are constantly looking for it and it wasn’t in the recipes, so I thought I would post it. It’s not mine, Kathy Finholt from Iowa is the original creator.
Crusting Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
- This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
- If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.