This chocolate cake is light and fluffy – great for cupcakes and birthday cakes. This is also a scratch cake with a scratch pudding mixture. it smells and taste fabulous. With a little patience you too can make this cake.
- 1 1/2 Tbls (1 1/2) sticks) unsalted butter, very soft, plus extra for greasing pans
- 1 3/4 C unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1/2 c hot water
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking cocoa
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- 2 tps vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, plus 2 large egg yolks
- Read through entire recipe and instructions FIRST before attempting to make. When following these directions, the batter will appear like a moose texture; thick and creamy.
This is for 2 9in x 2in pans
** 350 temp. Grease pans
1) Combine chocolate, cocoa powder and hot water in medium heatproof bowl; set bowl over saucepan containing 1 in of simmering water and stir w/ rubber spatula until chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar to chocolate and stir until glossy, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool.
2) Wisk flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Combine buttermilk and vanilla in small bowl. In bowl of stand mixer fitted w/ whisk attachment whisk eggs and yolks on med-low speed until combined, about 10 seconds. Add remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, increase speed to high and whisk until fluffy and lightened in color, 2 to 3 min. Replace whisk w/ paddle attachment. Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg/ sugar mixture and mix on med. speed until thoroughly incorporated, 30 – 45 sec’s, pausing to scrape down sides of bowl w/ rubber spatula as needed. Add softened butter 1 tbls at a time mixing about 10 sec.’s after each addition. Add about 1/3 of flour mixture followed by half of buttermilk mixture, mixing until incorporated after each addition (about 15 sec’s). Repeat using half of the remaining flour mixture and all of remaining buttermilk mixture (batter may appear separated). Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining flour mixture; mix at medium-low speed until batter is thoroughly combined, about 15 sec. Remove blow from mixer and fold batter once or twice w/ rubber spatula to incorporate any remaining flour. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans. smooth batter to edges of pan w/ spatula.
3) Bake cakes until toothpick inserted into center comes out w/ few crumbs attached, 25 to 30 mins. Cool cakes in pans 15 min. then remove.