Recent Experience With Fat Daddio Pans?

Decorating By SPCOhio Updated 31 Oct 2014 , 9:45pm by DeniseNH

SPCOhio Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 12:26am
post #1 of 30

AI recently ordered several square Fat Daddio pans in preparation for a tiered wedding cake I have coming up in March. I should have read some reviews here first, but I didn't and now that I am, I am worried that I may have made a poor choice. Has anyone had recent experience with these pans? Has their performance improved in last 5-6 years? Thanks!

29 replies
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:15am
post #2 of 30

AI have 2 of every square pan from 3" to 16" in Fat Daddio's. I use them for every square cake I do, no problems. The corners aren't actual corners, but a bit rounded, but you have to build them up with icing anyway, regardless of how square they are.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:19am
post #3 of 30

AOh, I also have their sheet pans, and round too. Way more economical than magic line, the other option, and Wilton is crap.!

pummy Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:29am
post #4 of 30

I have some round pans and just ordered a sheet pan by Fat Daddios.  They work well for me.

SPCOhio Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:30am
post #5 of 30

AYeah, I baked a small 6" in a Wilton square and it was pitiful. Just pitiful. Thanks for the feedback. Your cakes are spectacular, so I have hope for good results! This will be my first square cake so I see a lot of practice cakes in my future. I'm about to tank my co-workers' New Year's resolutions like a boss.

SPCOhio Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:09am
post #6 of 30

AI tried out my 7x7x3 Fat Daddio square pan today with a red velvet recipe. I gotta say I'm very happy with how this cake baked up. I used bake even strips and a flower nail in the center to ensure even baking. I had a hard time believing that 6 3/4 cups of batter would be an acceptable amount of batter in a pan this size, so I slightly under filled it but after it baked up it was evident that 6 3/4 cups would have been just right. The cake released well and the corners, while slightly rounded, are a nice shape. So far, so good.

Love2bake910 Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 10:43am
post #7 of 30

I just tried my 3 inch Fat Daddio's pans for a 8 & 10 inch cake and both baked for over a hour with sunken centers and a complaint that the 10 inch was "under cooked" I used a heating core in the center. Any idea where I could find accurate baking times (or a general idea) for these pans?

leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 11:36am
post #8 of 30

AI've found its just generally harder to get a properly baked cake in 3" pans 3". A few years ago on here there was a really good side by side comparison of a cake baked in a FD pan versus ML. The ML results were clearly superior. I have one FD pan. I wont buy another. IMO the super slick surface while making the pan easy to clean somewhat inhibits rising.

Pyro Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 30

They started making a FAQ awhile ago for their pans.

" Anodized Aluminum Bakeware – Due to the efficiencies in how our bakeware performs, we suggest you reduce all recipes by 25 degrees. We recommend that you apply a baking release spray or grease and flour each individual pan to ensure the best release. "

That's pretty much all they say. They also have a FAQ about how much batter to put in each one.

http://www.fatdaddios.com/userfiles/faq/Fat_Daddios_Cake_Batter_Capacity_2013.pdf

kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 30

I just bought and used an 18" round from fat daddios. I didn't know that there were issues, and I didn't  have any issues. it turned out great. I did lower the temp on the oven25 degrees just because it was such a large cake and I have never baked such a large cake in a home kitchen before. and I always spray the whole pan with bakers joy. it came out easy, I froze it first. and it rose well. is that how you say that?

morganchampagne Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 30

I prefer magic line myself. Yes they are a bit more expensive but worth it in every way to me.

Pearl645 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 12:30am
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro 

" Anodized Aluminum Bakeware – Due to the efficiencies in how our bakeware performs, we suggest you reduce all recipes by 25 degrees. We recommend that you apply a baking release spray or grease and flour each individual pan to ensure the best release. "

That's pretty much all they say. They also have a FAQ about how much batter to put in each one.

http://www.fatdaddios.com/userfiles/faq/Fat_Daddios_Cake_Batter_Capacity_2013.pdf

Wow I bought all sizes in Fat Daddio's round 2" high Anodized cake pans and was really impressed. Bought the line in January. Use them with a shortening base then floured pan for easy cake release and use bake even strips. I love my FD pans! Swear by them. Sounds like Magic Line ML is a great line too!

MeghanKelly Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 12:39am
post #13 of 30

I have a 6", 8" and 10" Fat Daddio's (2in deep) and I LOVE LOVE them.  Also have some wilton (cheap) and some Sunnyside Up Bakery (cheaper).  I try to bake in my FD whenever I can.  I don't have any trouble with them and they are more durable than the others.  Never tried Magic Line.

Not Just Baking Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 1:03am
post #14 of 30

All of my pans are Fat Daddio 3inch deep. I love then and continur to add to my collection. Cakes may cook a little longer but always turn out perfect! My cakes slide right out of the pan. Perfection at its best! Now I must invest into an Agbay!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 3:29am
post #15 of 30

Personally...I bought a couple of their pans.  They are very heavy and nicely made....my only problem with them is that my cakes bake with a very darkly browned crusts...this doesn't happen with my Magic Line pans....I not longer use the FD pans......

slun4ogledka Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 4:25am
post #16 of 30

I love my FD pans .   I have had them for about 3 years now and I have never had any issues  . I bake my cakes ( usually just  a sponge and devils food - which are completely different batters ) on 335 F . I have only used Wilton pans before ( which are horrible) ,  so I can't compare FD with any other line .  Good luck !

Mmmcake25 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 11:43am
post #17 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro 

^ This. I absolutely love my Fat Daddio pans, and if you lower the temp, you should have no problems. I believe Global Sugar Art has some youtube videos about baking with fat Daddio pans

DeniseNH Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 30

I love FD and use them all the time.  But I especially love the very square sides paired with the slightly rounded corner tip because at 2 a.m. the last thing I want to do before finally resting is spend time digging out the leftover stuff in the corners of my pans during cleanup.  FD is the best in that regard.  And I don't grease or flour, just put a square of waxed paper in the bottom of all my pans - this way the cake has something to hold onto on its climb to the top.  Then just run a butter knife along the inside as it cools.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 3:13pm
post #19 of 30

I agree Leah...and to address some of the concerns people are posting that ML pans are more expensive....some of my ML pans are over 30 years old now and I still use them all the time and they perform just as well as they did way back then!

Not Just Baking Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Just Baking 

All of my pans are Fat Daddio 3 inch deep. I love them and continue to add to my collection. Cakes may cook a little longer but always turn out perfect! My cakes slide right out of the pan. Perfection at its best! Now I must invest into an Agbay!

DeniseNH Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 8:06pm
post #21 of 30

YES by all means get an Agbay.  It's the only tool you'll use on ALL your cakes besides your mixer.  So in love with mine.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:52pm
post #22 of 30

Mmmm.. I am reading mixed reviews about Fat Daddio's pans... The only reason I bought one from them was because I was having difficulty finding a Wilton 9"x3" inch pan and got one from Fat Daddio's.  I just baked a cake it in, same batter height amount I use for Wilton's, same ingredients, same temp, and it sank in the middle.... I was going to try it again, but now I am doubtful... I am going to use 2, 9" x 2" inch pans I have that I wasn't planning on but I don't want to take the chance of another cake sinking... maybe I will tray again at a later time with a lower temp... 

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:59pm
post #23 of 30

oh, I should add... I have a couple of Magic Line pans.. LOVE them.  I also love my Wilton pans.  :) They have performed for me wonderfully.  I make scratch cakes that are heavy or dense ... doesn't seem to like the Fat Daddio's pan 8O

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:11pm
post #24 of 30

Not sure what role the pan would play in a cake sinking....that's generally more of a leaving balance issue.  The problem I've experienced with FD pans is that my cakes come out with a very dark brown crust, even when using baking strips.  I am assuming it has something to do with the anodized finish they add to their pans.  I much prefer my Magic Line pans...my cake sides are so light colored they look like I've trimmed the crust off my layers!

Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:13pm
post #25 of 30

I have a fd round pan which performs as you would expect. But then I got a magic line 13 x 9... whoa, what a difference!  I did nothing special just sprayed and poured in the batter no nails, no strips. The cake was so even and flat on top I couldn't believe it.  Love the squared off corners as well.

leah_s Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:38pm
post #26 of 30

^this.  Magic Line is totally worth the $.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:58pm
post #27 of 30

I don't know either... the pan is heavier and thicker than my other pans... but surely my cake sank and I changed nothing on the recipe.  I always use the same. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 9:26pm
post #28 of 30

Just out of the oven: Magic Line 13' x 9", yellow cake - no nails, no strips, just sprayed pan and baked at 325 degrees.

MBalaska Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 9:34pm
post #29 of 30

@Pastrybaglady that looks great.  No nails, no strips. that must be a nice yellow cake recipe.  Yes, I'm also a magic line pan user.

DeniseNH Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 9:45pm
post #30 of 30

I've never had problems with Fat Daddio's and actually love the way they designed the corner - slightly rounded at the top to make it easier to clean.  And I love the price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%