How Do I Get My Fondant Cakes To Look Like The Ones In Books

Decorating By tracey6277 Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 8:56am by tracey6277

tracey6277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey6277 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 12

when i look at pics in cake books the fondant looks perfect but mine never is. could anyone give me easy step by step instructions on how they do it?

I think the source of my problems is with the buttercream under the fondant as i can never get it perfectly smooth and i cant find this viva paper anywhere (i live in the UK) do you just do a crumb layer or how thick do you apply it?

any tips would be great.

11 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 12

The best advice I can give you is to find a way of covering a fondant cake that works for YOU and practice, practice, practice. Every decorator does it differently but in the end it's all about perfecting a technique.

Pieceofcakebyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 12

After I've finished carving the cake I crumb coat the cake, not too thick, like 1/4 cm. and put it in the fridge, then it's firm and takes the fondant nicely and stays looking smooth because the cake and frosting has little give because it's cold.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 12

I use a fondant smoother. If you don't have the paper towels, you can use parchment paper as easily.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 12

There are several youtube videos showing how to apply fondant

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 12

All I can say s practice practice and more practice!! I would suggest buying sharons videos on smoothing buttercream and flawless fondant. I'm not a pro...but I think my fondant cakes have def improved over time. Sharons website is sugaredproductions.com

Well worth every penny!!

Or YouTube has awesome free tutorials also!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:14am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey6277

when i look at pics in cake books the fondant looks perfect but mine never is. could anyone give me easy step by step instructions on how they do it?

I think the source of my problems is with the buttercream under the fondant as i can never get it perfectly smooth and i cant find this viva paper anywhere (i live in the UK) do you just do a crumb layer or how thick do you apply it?

any tips would be great.

Remeber, too, that many "cakes" you see in books are dummies rather than real cakes and sometime maybe weeks of work have been done on them to make them perfect.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:54am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey6277

any tips would be great.

Recently, I ran out of Viva paper towels. (Oh my, the horror! How did I ever ice a cake before Viva Paper towels?!) icon_wink.gif

I only had a few minutes so I ran to the closest store and found Scott Shop Paper Towels. They are blue and they worked wonders. They are thicker then Viva Paper towels and I liked them alot!
Viva Paper towels are simply a smooth sided, thick paper towel. Often times I have seen folks using regular paper towels to get the patterns in their buttercream. The trick is to let the buttercream sit for about 15 minutes to get a slight crust on it and then smooth it with a paper towel and fondant smoother, if desired.
Edna De la Cruz is my hero! In this tutorial she shows how to ice and smooth a cake.
http://designmeacake.com/id48.html
I hope this helps.
tokazodo

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #9 of 12

I use a small foam paint roller to smooth my crumb coat, it doesn't leave the "pattern" some paper towels do and is easy to roll around the sides of the cakes. I also chill my cakes overnight after I crumb coat and before adding the fondant.

sweetbrantleys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbrantleys Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #10 of 12

what's the trick with viva paper towels? I've never heard of this. icon_smile.gif

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:06am
post #11 of 12

Edna's tutorial
http://www.designmeacake.com/id48.html

The Viva towel method is at 5:42ish.

tracey6277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey6277 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 8:56am
post #12 of 12

ah thankyou ladies, i have done loads of fondant cakes and sometimes they are good and other times they arnt!! maybe its because i dont put the cake in the fridge before i put the fondant on as my fridge is always full. great tip about the roller i will give that a go for my next cake, i am a little heavy handed! i will also try using partchment paper instead.

thankyou you have given me some great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%