Next Great Baker? Really

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by playingwithsugar

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:04am
post #241 of 289

My heart dropped when I heard buddy send you to the box truck...ugh

Your car was amazing and I am sorry you just didn't have time on your side.

Contests corina, can't wait to see if you make it all the way.

In think Megan is talented, but I think she has a lot to learn yet. Her car just wasn't very good other than it moving.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #242 of 289

i agree with visions, megan is talented but young, and she wouldnt last a wk in that place! corina, congrats!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #243 of 289

Brian, I'm so sorry. But no cake? If you had just done the emblem in cake you would have won for the day. Your car was clearly the best.

Congrats Corina, I liked your vision for your cake.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:49am
post #244 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Brian, I'm so sorry. But no cake? If you had just done the emblem in cake you would have won for the day. Your car was clearly the best.

What she said...no cake, Brian? Yours was really the best looking of all of them so it was even more painful to watch. I do feel that Dana's win was well deserved but I was sorry to see you and Jay go.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:37pm
post #245 of 289

Brian just looked tired to me. I think at this point they are worn out, frazzled and ready to rest. Congrats to Corina, Dana and Megan.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:55pm
post #246 of 289

I feel for Brian also..He looked so done....Dana did well as did Corina and Megan.I think Buddy knows that Jay and Brian just aren't wedding cake and novelty decoraters..Jay is more a wedding cake designer, and defineltly not novelty..Brian is novelty but not wedding and to work at Carlos you have to be able to do every kind of cake well...

Looking forward to the finale!!

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #247 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I feel for Brian also..He looked so done....Dana did well as did Corina and Megan.I think Buddy knows that Jay and Brian just aren't wedding cake and novelty decoraters..Jay is more a wedding cake designer, and defineltly not novelty..Brian is novelty but not wedding and to work at Carlos you have to be able to do every kind of cake well...

Looking forward to the finale!!

Did I hear Buddy wrong at the end though, didn't he say, "Corina, you are a baker first and a decorator second, and Brian, you are a decorator first and a baker second".? If I did hear correctly, that seemed opposite of what I expected him to say next.

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:46pm
post #248 of 289

Brian, I just have to ask you question. Why did it always seem that at the end of every episode, everyone stood there in nice, white jackets, and you had an array of colors all over you?

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm
post #249 of 289

cownsj...Yes...Buddy did say that..I think he means that baking is like a magical talent and if you have that..the decorating can be taught....On the other hand Brian admits baking isn't his thing but the artistry and designing is and if you can't bake and be a jack of all trades...No good to them!Look at all those old guys there at Carlos...They can all bake and decorate a mean cake....

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #250 of 289

Ok, thanks for the explanation of that. It seemed he was saying the opposite to me, and it didn't make sense. Now it does.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:01pm
post #251 of 289

No cake and a burnt cookie, I was not surprised at the outcome. I groaned when those cookies came out burnt. And I kept saying to DH, where is the cake? If this was supposed to be presented to a crowd, what would they eat? I understand time frame, but the symbol could have been made from cake. I guess the judging was supposed to be on design and not what part to eat. But that did seem to be a factor in the end.

I thought it funny that Brian thought he could cut off the burnt part of the cookie and present it. Even without the burnt part, it would still taste burnt.

Dana's lemon cake sounded delicious! Now I want to make a lemon cake.

Brian, I learned a lot about carving and doing detail on a carved cake from watching you on this show. It was very interesting to see how you did it. I am definitely keeping these ideas in the memory bank for when I do a carved cake.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:05pm
post #252 of 289

I knew when there was no cake it was the end for Brian. icon_sad.gif
Dana did do the best. I can't wait for next week to see who wins!!
So does the winner get to work at Carlos?

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #253 of 289

Yup...along side buddy and wins $50,000 dollars...

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:32pm
post #254 of 289

If I had to venture a guess, I am going to guess Megan wins. This only based on the fact that at the beginning of the show, she said she worked in a coffee shop and want to win to open a bakery. Well - she opened a bakery in TX. She is also the only one who doesn't have children. Making it a little easier to work at Carlos for a little while. This is just a guess, now we just have to wait and see! OH the anticipation!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.meganrountree.blogspot.com/

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #255 of 289

I don't get it though. Some of these people already have their own business. Why would they want to work with Carlos? I think the whole show is painful to watch.... but I still watch. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm
post #256 of 289

I don't think it is a permanent job maybe just a few months to apprentice..The $50,000 is the prize money from winning the show.

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:10pm
post #257 of 289

1st off the Contest rules I signed for this episode were differnt than the previous competitions. My design meet all the requirements of what I signed. I would have made it out of cake otherwise. I really do not know what happened there.
I did however totally burnt that cookie.

Buddy said that Corina Was a Baker 1st and an artist 2nd. And that I was an Artist 1st and a baker 2nd.

I stand behind who I am and believe it sets me apart from others. I have been making cakes for only 3 years now with no training. There is no way Buddy could make my Zombie Cake or my Gollum Cake. So being an artist 1st works for me, learning to bake is easier IMO. If you think differntly I would love to discuss that!

I was physically done that day and I am glade it is behind me now!

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:16pm
post #258 of 289

Hi Brian,

Well I think you are an amazing cake artist so you are still great in my books!!!

You did a great job!!

So what is buddy and hid family like in real life? Nice...a jerk?

Crustymuffin Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:18pm
post #259 of 289

[/url]

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:30pm
post #260 of 289

For 3 yrs only?? You are great!!! You are truly an artist!
I am sure this was an experance that you will always remember. One many of us would have loved to try and some maybe not! I met Buddy at his show in Iowa and had a blast. Buddy seems like a nice guy, but unless you work day in and out with someone you never know!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:35pm
post #261 of 289

Brian, my son would go gaga over that cake. He and his friends are so into zombie movies.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:50pm
post #262 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

If I had to venture a guess, I am going to guess Megan wins.

Originally my money was on Dana winning, until I saw the previews last night for the finale. Watching Mary's usual (barking) behavior and her comment about how "they'll never make it here" I now think Corina has the best chance of being able to deal with the staff at Carlos.

Brian, I was also disappointed to see you go -- you are an AMAZING artist and the format of this show didn't begin to show your talent. Good to know you're a member here, and can't wait to see your career continue past this experience.

Rock on, Corina! icon_biggrin.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:55pm
post #263 of 289

BTW, I forgot to give kudos to Corina on last night's car challenge. I was scratching my head over the design at first, too, but when I saw the final cake I thought it was very clever and head and shoulders above the others. I know the execution wasn't perfect but I thought the design was impressive.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:55pm
post #264 of 289

I agree, being an artist is a gift, and being able to take that gift and apply it to cake is simply amazing. IMO, I think what Buddy meant (not defending him what so ever!) was, that his shop is more of a cookie cutter type of shop, and he was looking for someone that can slide into that easier.

Crustymuffin Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:13pm
post #265 of 289
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, being an artist is a gift, and being able to take that gift and apply it to cake is simply amazing. IMO I think what Buddy meant (not defending him what so ever!) was, that his shop is more of a cookie cutter type of shop, and he was looking for someone that can slide into that easier.

You are probably right. And I really do not want to be a production baker. So in the end it is all good!

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:26pm
post #266 of 289

Brian, I'm going to try to tell you how good that cake is you have posted, even though I barely skimmed over it. But that's just my point, I can't stand scary/grotesque/creepy stuff, and this is so spot on that I can't look at it, but tried and did catch some details that blew me away. But it's just too much for me to look at.....lol I hope you see my huge compliment in there.

Crustymuffin Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #267 of 289

Yea it is gross. I had moments when making that it creeped me out. But that is what the Blizzard Entertainment wanted. Thank you

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:00am
post #268 of 289

Brian you are an extremely talentd cake artist and i believe that you are a wonderful baker as well. I mean you must be if the bride in the last episode loved your champagne cake.

You are an extremely talented artist, and would love to be able to have that much talent.

Sorry just had to say it.

I dont think i would want to be a chain baker myself either.

Nor would i want to be on this show so kudos to all contestants.

Agreed corina your idea was great, not the best execution but wonderful design, i could see myself driving away into the sunset with that car.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:22pm
post #269 of 289

so Brain if you had won, would you have taken the time off from your own bakery to go and work w/ buddy at his?

Crustymuffin Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:23pm
post #270 of 289

I have a family in Austin and a Game developement Job at Sony. My wife takes care of my 2 young kids and does not work. It's hard to say as that was not waht happend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%