Omg Please Help!!

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm by aprilblack

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

icon_surprised.gif
I finally gave in to a friend that wanted me to fondant cover her wedding cake. she promised she would bring me the cakes early, thawed out and everything ready and just right , but when she came she was 2 hours late, the cakes are still FROZEN and I need to start covering them soon to get them done in time!! icon_sad.gif
Also,the cake boards she brought are scalloped edged which will show under each tier and are the wrong sizes. She bought them like that on purpose so i could cut them to size she said!!
What do i do?! I cant cover frozen cakes in fondant can I ?
h and a couple of the cakes are iced in german chocolate frosting (the nutty kind) ...wont that make the fondant bumpy??
im at a loss...please someone help!

Thank you!

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 7

I would call her and tell her I can't cover the cakes in fondant in the condition they are in. Hope she has a back up plan. Her lack of planning isn't your emergency. And yes the german chocolate frosting will make the fondant very bumpy.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7

Wow, that is a bad scene, sorry to hear this! I hope it all works out for you guys.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 7

There is no way I would cover a german chocolate cake in a fondant..it will look a total mess. Since they're frozen, can you move them on to proper size cake boards and cover the plain cakes with fondant, decorate as planned, and use the german chocolate cakes as satellite cakes. I would also call her and tell her that the cake will be late because they must be thawed before you cover them or the fondant will be a mess.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 7

You CAN cover a frozen cake in fondant, but the end result won't be so great. How big are the cakes? can you put them somewhere warm where they can thaw faster? Another option would be to elevate them a little in a microwave and try to thaw them that way?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 7

You can thaw a wrapped cake very rapidly by aiming a fan at it. Heat transfer via air convection is the speediest method of all (when both cooling things down and warming things up to room temp). Place the wrapped cakes on an aluminum sheet pan, which will help bring them to room temp faster. Conduction and convection are your friends.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 7

it doesnt take long at all to thaw frozen cakes. Usually 20-30 minutes tops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%