Honest To Pete. Wilton! Vent!

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm by JenniferMI

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 28

The lavender brushes.
My favorite brush for gum glue is the middle one. The paint literally fell off in strips in my bum glue. What was left fell off as I washed it and used my thumbnail to scrape.

Long run their stuff is not less expensive, so why can't they make it right the first time?

If I wasn't anal retentive I would have given up a long time ago just because of their products.

Sorry I had to put it out there. I'm slightly peeved.

27 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 28

My Wilton brushes did the same thing. I won't buy anymore either. I now only buy quality brushes.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 28

Any brush I have ever had has always shed it's painted on skin. Cheep or not the paint will eventually come off. I saw some more expensive natural ones I want to try next.

PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 28

I now only buy the sable brushes. They are all made with plastic (or something like that) and are not painted.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 28

I buy the plastic Rose Art brushes that Walmart sells...it's a pack of 5 with clear plastic handles, in different sizes and shapes.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I buy the plastic Rose Art brushes that Walmart sells...it's a pack of 5 with clear plastic handles, in different sizes and shapes.

same here! there are super cheap too! under $3 for the pack. plus, the bristles dont get dyed with food colors when i use them. thumbs_up.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:22am
post #7 of 28

Once I get with Texas Rose for my remedial rose training, I'm checking it out!

I posted because I'm sick and tired of buying things from the big W, that don't work in general.

The fondant ribbon cutter happens to be my favorite. I got it to work, but stripped it at the same time. I can no longer use it for anything else. Let's not forget the icing sculpter. I just know I'm not the only person who has tried it and the stupid things fall out. This always happens in the middle of the cake.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 28

Gomo, if you've figured out how to make that ribbon cutter work, I'm going to give you mine!

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

Quote:

same here! there are super cheap too! under $3 for the pack. plus, the bristles dont get dyed with food colors when i use them. thumbs_up.gif

Me too! I just bought a new pack last night thumbs_up.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #10 of 28

Texas Rose, it takes teflon tape.

PinkLisa Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:44am
post #11 of 28

I love the ribbon cutter. I always cut on a hard countertop though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #12 of 28

I love my ribbon cutter too! It's probably my favorite product!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:15am
post #13 of 28

My ribbon cutter tightens up when I roll it, so that either you have to loosen the nut after one cut or it will tear up the fondant on the next cut.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #14 of 28
Quote:

My ribbon cutter tightens up when I roll it, so that either you have to loosen the nut after one cut or it will tear up the fondant on the next cut.

I hate my Wilton ribbon cutter for the same reason - it always tightens up on me.

Back to brushes -

I only use sable brushes or Loew Cornell brushes (AC Moore or Michaels), depending on what I want to do with it. For painting I use sable, for dusting I use either.

I do not know if Hobby Lobby has them. They recently opened a location not too far from me, but I haven't been there yet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #15 of 28

You need to have the wingnut on the left when using the ribbon cutter, which is a giant POS if you ask me.

IME, all paintbrushes with a wooden handle lose their paint eventually. Try buying some quality brushes from the art department that have plastic handles. I love the Royal brushes that have a clear plastic handle with royal blue accents.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #16 of 28

I actually threw my Wilton Icing Sculptor away today when I was cleaning stuff up...biggest piece of crap ever.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:33am
post #17 of 28

Mine was curved funny! Worthless!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #18 of 28

So I'm right, the thing sucks!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

The paint literally fell off in strips in my bum glue.

I'm sorry, but my Junior High sense of humor had me rolling when I read this!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:18am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

Quote:
Quote:

The paint literally fell off in strips in my bum glue.

I'm sorry, but my Junior High sense of humor had me rolling when I read this!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif Me too. Now I'm just waiting for the resident Wilton defender to come in and scold everyone for bashing Wilton. icon_twisted.gif

On the subject of ribbon cutters....this is my new favorite tool. Dang it made life easy this past weekend! http://selfservebaker.com/decoratingsupplies/images/multi%20ribbon.jpg

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #21 of 28

what is an icing sculptor?

The big W stuff is usually crap. It seems like a good way to keep bakers in business. After all, if the average person could use the easily accessable stuff they sell at a reasonably cheap price, then why would they want the indy, ruths, leahs and the other amazing artists to make their cakes? It is amazing how much I have improved just by getting quality products designed to make a professional finish.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:37am
post #22 of 28

Wilton products are meant more for the hobby cake decorator than professional users, thats why you can buy them in Walmart etc. The pros shop in restaurant supply stores & buy products designed for commercial use.
Each to his/her own.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou2

Wilton products are meant more for the hobby cake decorator than professional users, thats why you can buy them in Walmart etc. The pros shop in restaurant supply stores & buy products designed for commercial use.
Each to his/her own.

Well said!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:45am
post #24 of 28

Ok the brush I love for G P, is the middle one in the lavender Wilton stuff.

I'm peeved, that the stuff wore off and landed in my gum paste glue.

I will get over it.

Sorry I brought it up!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:06pm
post #25 of 28

You don't have to apologize Gomo, vent on!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:46pm
post #26 of 28

My name is Kate and I am a paint brush addict. I'm not familar with the Wilton brushes but I don't doubt they suck~~but I cannot resist tossing a bag of brushes in my cart when I'm shopping for a project.

I love paint brushes. You just can't have too many.

Brushes brushes brushes mmmm. icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #27 of 28

Jamie....your new signature cracks me up!!

I don't have any W paint brushes, but the icing sculpter is just waiting for me to try and use it. Someone said use teflon tape...Can you explain? Where do I put the tape, etc?
That ribbon cutter is wonderful...but yes. It sticks. What a PIA. I thought maybe it was just me!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #28 of 28

I recommend the soft gripe brushes from Michael's or Hobby Lobby for dusting.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%