Act Of Kindness?????

Lounge By majormichel Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm by cabecakes

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 189

Have you done something nice for someone lately? Did you give a customer a discount on a cake order? Did someone do special for you? Please tell me your story, everyone is talking about the economy, recession, etc. I do believe there are good people out there who put smiles on people face.

What is your good deed of kindness?

188 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 189

Cake -wise, I always select one couple a year and do their cake or buffet for free. I don't tell them until the very last minute. Its usually a military couple. The last one was on Valentine's Weekend and the groom was shipping out to Iraq 72 hours after the wedding. I did the cake AND the food for free (other wedding vendors also pitched in with free DJ'ing, free horse and carriage ride, free event coordinator etc.)

3 days ago. I was in Dairy Queen and a grampa and his granddaughter couldn't decide, so they generously told me to go ahead of them. Not a big deal, but much appreciated! As I was waiting for my order, granddaughter wanted something and I heard grampa say he was three cents short, she'd have to get something else. I reached in my pocket, pulled out a quarter, handed it to him, and said, "Just pay it forward when you can."

The smile on her face was all I needed.

This is a great idea for a thread! thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 189

its a small one - i was turning into my library, and waved a slow old man across first, since his dog had already ran on!
xx

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 189

I sold my first cake 2 years ago to a very sweet lady who has ordered like clock work for her whole family ever since. She has sent me countless people who have turned into great customers.

She called to order her sons b-day cake and I talked to her a bit and she said just do what ever we are doing a baseball theme...but we had already done the baseball. So she left it open....I made him baseball cap and jersey for his favorite team...and when she came to pick them up I said "no charge" when she saw what I had done she cried!! It was so sweet.... then she told me her husband had lost his job and she had thought about going to walmart for a cheaper cake and just couldnt do it.

It made me feel so good to do something for her! The good things come back to you almost always....

majormichel Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 189

These stories are so touching,

I was in churchs just talking about the kids and somehow we were talking about furnitures. I tell them than that I dont have a front room set and asked where can I find one. One of the ladies called me up a few days later and said her in-laws are changing furnitures and if we want it. Well within a week they delivered the front set, bedroom set and a set of new dishes. Well this was more that I asked for, but was very grateful. That same friend husband birthday was coming up and she knew I did cakes, so she ordered a 9 x 13 sheet for him. When it time to pick up the cake she was expecting a regular cake, yeah yeah. When it time to pay I told her no charge as I appreciate all the furnitures they gave me. The crowning moment was when she saw the cake (its the green and white 50th birthday in my photo) she was sooooo surprise she started jumping up and down. She was excited and started to cry with a big grin on her face. I guess she got more than what she was expecting. Her husband emailed me the next day thanking me for the cake and how special it made his birthday.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 189

My sister has it really rough (money wise) and is on disability. She is trying to make it on her own, not living with our parents anymore, but she never has any extra money and cannot afford much.

Well, she just got into this relationship where her significant other has a small child. To make a long story short the child was not living with them because the other parent had custody. Well the other parent, who is not a very nice person, got in big trouble and DFS came and took the little boy away. My sister and her significant other had to prove to DFS that they were a stable enough home to be able to be granted custody of this small child.

Which means that they had to have a clean house, a room for him, furniture, clothes, etc. Their house had to be inspected. They had nothing for him, and no money to buy anything for him. I went out, as a total suprise, and bought him a bed, a dresser, a mattress, comforter set, new pillows, a bunch of clothes, etc., etc.

I have a key, so I went over one day and set up his room for him, complete with a matching wallpaper border and a rug to cover the stains on the carpet. The DFS rep was impressed that they were so serious about gaining custody, that they gave them full custody of my soon to be nephew. We are so happy to have such a great little guy in the family.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 189

Jayde, that just made me cry! (beats the heck out of my quarter-at-the-Dairy-Queen story!)

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 189

I recently made cookies (over 30 of them) for my eye doctor's office. I've been going there for years and have known some of them for nearly 20 years. I wanted to let them know how much I appreciate what they do.

I made a special trip to drop off the cookies. A couple of weeks later, when I went for an appointment, I was greeted with hugs. It was really nice!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 189

I don't know that this really counts as an act of kindness, but my boyfriend is disabled (paraplegic), and had some really serious medical problems over the last few years and was bed-bound for a good portion of it. He had moved out of state just prior to all of his difficulties and was unable to travel until very recently. Long story short we threw a surprise 40th birthday party for him over the weekend and invited all of his friends that, with only a few exceptions, he hadn't seen in a few years (which was no small task, since I had never met most of these people--thank goodness for facebook), including a couple that came in from out of town just for the event. It was the happiest I have seen him in the nearly 2 years we have been together, and it was great to see how many people absolutely love him! It turned out to be more than just a birthday party, but sort of a "this is your life" celebration, also celebrating his return to good health! It just felt good to do something special for him.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 189

Here is a copy of a story from one of my cookie-friends on flickr (sweetsugarbelle).....

Since I received the request for these cookies I have had an idea in my head for them. This was
finally my opportunity to do a cookie that was very similar to my all time favorite cookie ever,
created by a fellow Flickr-er, Fiona, AKA Sugarsugargal, who everyone should go check out...http://www.flickr.com/photos/24220660@N05/

Anyway, I have used the technique before, so I thought the cookie would be as simple as a trip to my local craft store. Not so!!! After several trips to MANY craft stores and scouring the Internet, I realized that a small damask stencil was not to be found. So, I built up the courage to ask my sugar pal Fiona, the creator of my all-time favorite cookie where she got her wonderful stencil.

This is where things got scary. Asking about resources, recipes, ideas, etc., can be very tricky in this arena. Some pastry artists are helpful and glad to give tips and advice, however, others can be very much the opposite. So, I took a chance and sent Fiona an email requesting advice. I never in a million years expected what followed. She gave me the information, and a few tips and I figured that was that. However, a few days later, she contacted me again to let me know that she had checked the store where she had found hers and it was no longer available. To me, that action there was above and beyond, and it was hard for me to fathom someone thousands of miles away, in the UK to be exact, would put out the effort to physically go into a store and look for something for me. I have friends right here next door that wouldn't do that!

I was so impressed and grateful that what came next almost floored me. As we chit-chatted back and fourth, Fiona, made me what she called, "a once in a lifetime offer" She offered to let me borrow her stencil for my cookies and then return it when I was done. Her only condition was that I must pay it forward. To some people this may not seem like much, but it was an incredible gesture that really restored my faith in the kindness of others.
I get discouraged at times because I see a trend of people that only look out for themselves. They take care of number one without any sense of citizenship, or community, or even family in lots of cases. Then suddenly, here I am confronted with a person, so very far away, and that I barely know, with a big enough heart to offer to share with me for no reason at all except to be nice!
I had intentions of telling a much more eloquent and touching story, but it kind of flowed out like this. I don't know if my words really explained the impact of this simple yet touching act, and the profound effect it had on me, but I hope it did. Her kindness made me smile, made me proud that there are still others out there who care about maintaining a lot of the caring that seems to fade with each generation, and made me excited to tell others that such a kind person existed!

She "payed it forward" by generously mailing my one of the extra stencils that she made so I can try it out!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 189

Debi, this confirms again that the people of Indiana are wonderful, caring people & you are right at the top of the list. I fee that what we do with our lives is up to us. I love doing things for others, just because I care. I never expect anything back, but I receive so much love from others that I always want to share. I know there are more good & caring people in this world than there are bad & evil & so many of the good people are right her on CC.

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #12 of 189

Wow! It's very nice to see so many people willing to help others. My husband is Air Force and there are always young couples in need of help. We all try to help when we can but money is tight for everyone right now. Well, I just found out that a very young couple are having triplets. He is very new in the Air Force and doesn't make much right now. They are already struggling with bills and with 3 babies on the way that they aren't sure how they will be able to afford. So when my neighbor found out about them she started asking everyone she knows to help collect anything they will need for the babies. She told me people she doesn't even know have dropped off diapers, formula and clothes. They have also gotten 2 cribs donated so far. It is nice to see people helping others even when money is tight. usaribbon.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #13 of 189

I did a bride's wedding in 2007. They ordered enough servings for their guests with the bride's cake, and then again almost as many with the groom's cake, so they had nearly twice what they should have needed.

Last month she called me wanting to surprise her husband for his birthday with a replica of their groom's cake. Turns out that at their wedding the only cake they got was the piece they fed to eachother for the cutting. After the cutting and photos, they went to do their dollar dances, and when they got done, all the cake was gone. Evidently their guests didn't want to choose between the cakes, so they all had a piece of each. And the attendants didn't think to save the bride and groom a piece.

So I guess this has been festering for the last 2+ years. The bride says her husband looks at the pictures of the groom's cake and whimpers. So I was glad to do a replica of the cake, it was pretty easy. Then I decided to surprise her with a mini-replica of her wedding cake. I used sugar flowers to make it easy on myself. It was a #*@*& to frost that tiny thing, certainly wouldn't be my real standard of a big wedding cake, but for what it was I thought it turned out cute.

When I met her to deliver the cake, and got out the little box that it was in and started to explain what it was while I was lifting the lid, but right away she gasped, jumped, put her hands over her mouth and said "that's my wedding cake!" Then she hugged me. It was so neat. I love getting to do stuff like that for people. Those are times when it's not "just cake", you know?

Here's a pic of it, it's just about 4" tall.
LL

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #14 of 189

It's not much but I baked 4 dozen cupcakes and decorated them like cats and dogs and donated them to a local animal shelter that was having a bake sale to raise money. I was excited to see that a just half hour into the yardsale over half of them were already sold!

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #15 of 189

Great thread! So fun and inspiring to read all these wonderful stories - thanks for sharing!

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #16 of 189

I was at an auto race last night where they were taking donations for a young woman that has just been diagnosed with cancer. Another woman who had just celebrated being cancer free for one year, came up and donated some money and also put a bracelet in the jar with a note that said she wanted this young woman (who she doesn't even know) to have this bracelet that her own daughter had given her when she was first diagnosed with cancer.

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #17 of 189

I had recently done a wedding cake for a couple who had just had a bay. The wedding was put together last minute but was at an established catering hall. They needed a cake to feed 100 I gave them a cake that fed 150. Upon delivery I also included the cutting instructions. I knew the couple was not going on a honeymoon so I contacted them a few days later to see how things went with their cake. The bride told me they weren't able to have any of their cake because there was nothing left! The hall butchered the cutting on the cake and they peeled the fondant off before serving. They wound up having many problems with the help and the hall. I still had the colored fondant left over so I made another smaller tiered cake for them. I tracked down their address and delivered it to them. They live 30 minutes away. The bride was so surprised and her husband sent me the nicest thank you card ever!

majormichel Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #18 of 189

You'll have me smiling from ear to ear.

Ok CCers keep it coming more stories.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #19 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsarekillingme

they peeled the fondant off before serving.

Huh?????? Who does that?!

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #20 of 189

I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys (7 & 3) who babysits 2 others (both 1 1/2 yrs). Needless to say I don't get out much. Well, 4 weeks ago my mother-in-law called me and told me that she signed me up for a cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby for Tuesday nights. I was so excited because I love to cook and bake and this would give me time to do something for myself!

After the first class we were told to make a batch of BC and a cake for week 2. I had a cuisinart hand mixer that was about 10 yrs old ( a wedding gift) that I mixed my cake with but when I made the buttercream the motor got burnt and it died! icon_sad.gif I was kind of in a panic because money is tight and I NEEDED a mixer for these classes! So I post a comment on FB that I was looking for a stand mixer for a reasonable price. A friend from church responds and said she has an older Sunbeam Mix Master that she would love to give me! I couldn't believe it!

It doesn't end there because another friend from church found out I was "making cakes" and asked if I could do her daughter's b-day cake. My first order! I made a 2 tiered cake covered in chocolate ganache (a first) with a fondant bow and flowers (also a first). I delivered it and she absolutely loved it! Now I have 3 more cake orders for August and I am so excited to keep learning about cake decorating! It's so much fun and really enjoy it!

And it all started with a simple beginner class!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #21 of 189

My SIL lost her FIL almost a year ago. He didn't have any insurance and the funeral home told his wife they could not accept payments. Needless to say, his wife was really torn up and didn't know what to do. They had already been living on a small fixed income.
I've never put together any kind of fundraiser before but I knew I had to do something. I bought some things and put together a couple of baskets and sold raffle tickets. I also got a few of the local merchants to donate items and I managed to put together a couple of nice prize packages to raffle off also.
Man, I tell you. It felt awesome when I layed that money in that ladies hand to pay all but about $1000 of her husbands burial expenses. She was so overcome with tears, I just held her while she cried.
It was very time consuming trying to put that stuff together, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I love helping others in need! thumbs_up.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #22 of 189

we have done so many free cakes....the latest one was for a guy and girl who were graduating and really didn't have the money for the cakes. the family had just had a tramadic event happen and were not really prepared to throw a party. my friend and i did the largest cake we had ever made. It is in our gallary, had the indian head mascot on it. we gave it to them and they were thrilled...not a piece was left.

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #23 of 189

I have a friend that has a form of ms and is now in a nursing home. Her daughter is not handling it very well. She has not had a good home life and since her parents are not married she has been pushed from her dad's home to her maternal grandmother's home. It's a long story. Any way she calls me wanting to get a cake for her boyfriend's birthday but she would have to ask her dad for the money. Well I knew where that would go. I told her to come over at 4 the next day and I would have a cake for her. When she came over to get it she walked up and hugged me and believe me that is something she doesn't do. I felt very good to do something for a girl that feels isolated and doesn't want to get close to anyone because she feels like they will wind up like her Mom

majormichel Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #24 of 189

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #25 of 189

This is non-cake related. This summer, I was in Dallas with my daughter, my sis and her 2 kids, her MIL, and my mom. (7 in a mini-van.) We had been having car problems, and our van died on the side of the highway in rush hour traffic. It was 103 out there!! I made everyone get out of the van and stand in the grassy median that separated the 2 highways, since it wasn't safe to stay in the car on the shoulder. As we were waiting for AAA, a man pulled up on the other side of the highway and asked if we needed help. He drove out to the median and offered for us to get in his suburban for the a/c. I was hesitant (stranger danger! and all that going through my head), but after his 2nd offer, my sister was ok with it. So my mom and I sat outside and the rest of them got in the suburban. He offers to take our family off the highway somewhere, so we agreed. He had his GPS, so he plugged in McDonalds and took them there. (It was dinner time.) He bought some water and brought it back to my mom and I and said he would stay until AAA came so we could wait in the a/c.

Then he asked how we were all getting back to our hotel. We didn't know, so he offered to take the family back to the hotel. He went out of his way, spent 1.5 hours with us, to make sure we were safe!

The story came out later that he had originally drive past us the direction we were going, exited, turned around, and came back to help us. So nice!!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #26 of 189

It's small beans, compared to what some of you have done, but I used to work at a nursing home as activity director (for 4 years). Even though I don't work there anymore, I know that a lot of the time their birthday gets unnoticed. When I worked there, before I learned about caking, we would sing a special happy birthday song to them at their dining room table and they would glow from ear to ear. I used to get little debbie cakes and put a candle in it. Boo, I know!

Now that I'm caking, I'm donating a pretty cupcake for them to enjoy. So far, they've all loved them!

I joined the Free Cakes For Kids, but so far haven't had anyone request any cakes. icon_sad.gif I contacted the local domestic assault outreach and am going to be talking with the local ACS rep about doing cakes for kids affected by cancer. As a survivor, that's one of the first things I thought of!!!

I hope to do more!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #27 of 189

I have a story (non-cake related) about someone else who offered a helping hand ...
My mother and I had gone to the store with my younger brother, he was in a wheelchair after suffering a stroke and he was undergoing chemotherapy for a leukemia relapse. It was pouring down rain and we were struggling to get him in the car and the wheelchair in the back without completely soaking him. Several people passed, a few stared (he was bald and swollen ) but no one stopped to help except a very elderly women. She had to be at least 80 and all of about 90lbs, but she offered to help us. We of course couldnt let her help, we wouldnt want her injuring herself, but the fact that she offered and she really would have done anything in her power to help had we let her stands out in my memory. I still think of her and I offer to help anyone disabled or not, if she can do it so can I!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #28 of 189

I teach cake decorating at Hobby Lobby, and every month on the first night of course 1 I prepare a cake in class to demo to my students how to level, fill and ice a cake smoothe...for the first year or two I was just bringing the cakes home to my family/kids but we would take a few days to eat it and then still end up throwing half of it away. So, I started giving the cakes to store employees...first a stockman, then the next month I just left it on the table and told one of the cashiers it was there if she (or anyone else) wanted it. Then another cashier who was thrilled to have it. Also once gave it to a student who came to lesson one even though it was her birthday...

So, last month, on my way out of class, I see one of the lady employees, and walk up to her and say "I have a cake for you!" I open the box and explain that it's strawberry cake with buttercream icing, sorry it's not decorated, it was just for demonstration purposes...She hugs me, for like a minute, and starts crying, then explains that I don't know how much it means to her - apparently, she's a 40 yr. old divorcee', single and trying to make ends meet on Hobby Lobby salary...her ac went out that day in her apartment, and just how she literally burns oil lamps to save on electricity...she just cried and thanked me over and over and kept saying how much it meant to her...took me off guard, that something as simple as a little cake would mean so much to someone, but it really made her day. I gave her all the extra frosting I had leftover from class, and she told me the other day that she ate what she could of the cake, then shared it, and that she made cupcakes again and again and put the icing on them, and how much it meant to her...she hugs me everytime I see her...

So, just remember sometimes it's really the simple things that make a difference in someone's life or day....

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:18am
post #29 of 189

My husband has been saving money form extra jobs he does for quite awhile to buy himself something nice. Last week we were talking about a couple in our church that had a preemie baby girl and they are drowning in debt from all the hospital costs and missing work during the difficult pregnancy.

Out of the blue my husband handed me 2 pieces of paper Sunday morning and said "Look what I did" with a big grin on his face.

He sent $1000 to our friends with the preemie baby and $1200 to friend's of ours kids that are missionaries in Africa and really on a tight budget.

I am married to such a sweet man icon_lol.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:32am
post #30 of 189

Oh I LOVE this thread!!!

My daughter and I bring treats once a month to a group of amazing people. If I have time I try to do something baked but more often than not it's something from the store. It doesn't matter. The smiles we get are pricelessicon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%