Act Of Kindness?????

Lounge By majormichel Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm by cabecakes

weddingcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingcake1 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #181 of 189

A young man that my son's grew up with got married on Oct. 10th, to a lovely young lady. We had talked earlier in the year about the cake, and my plan was to give them their cake as a gift. Well they didn't call and about a month before the wedding, I finally called. And the young man told me they had run out of money for the cake andd that he was just going to have his sister make cupcakes, and then I explained that the cake is your gift from us. He was so excited I said the whole design is whatever I come up with, and he agreed. They had bought their topper and I had no idea what it was. But I had ordered these silver and rhinestone pins online D, K, B well the topper was a Rhinestone B. And their wedding was with the theme of their initials. I don't know how I managed to do that. But the cake was absolutely beautiful. And it didn't cost them anything but the topper. And they were so happy. They both cried. That made me feel so good to do that for those kids.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #182 of 189

With all my little acts of kindness, I know I'm getting somewhere. My 2nd dd's teacher called me when she was in kindergarten to tell me what a special daughter I have. She said that there was a kid in her class with "issues" (she did not go into details, but i think she has some form of autism.) she was wondering how this girl managed to complete some tasks, so she started keeping an eye open while they were doing art and crafts, or writing abc's, etc. she found that my dd was doing her work very quickly, and then she would very discreetly tell this girl what to do. she basically was tutoring her, and noone in the class realised! she was 5 at the time. when i asked her about it, she simply said "but she doesn't "it is 2 yrs later, and she's just getting better, she loves helping ppl. if u tell her that someone is sick, or anything else, she practically cries for them even if she doesn't know who it is. she always wants to help.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #183 of 189

I have to say, this forum is EXACTLY what I needed today. So thank you everyone. I'm only half way through reading, I keep breaking away to do others things but I can't get it out of my mind. I'd like to share a couple things from my childhood.

I grew up in the early 60's. There was a man who lived on the next block who had had a stroke. He shook terribly and had a very difficult time speaking. But everyday he would walk his little poodle and stop by all of us playing. He would talk to us, most of which we couldn't understand, but would try. He'd reach his very shaky hand into his pocket and pull out a box of chicklets gum. He would shake a piece of gum into each of our little hands while we pet his dog and talked to him. We always looked forward to seeing "Bill the gum man". I have no idea if that was even his name. But he was so kind and taught us all patience and understanding and about sharing. He was just a very kind gentleman who wanted to enjoy the world still around him.

We also had an ice cream man who came around our neighborhood. Actually there was 3, but Cubby was our favorite. He owned the first ice cream truck where he remained inside the truck. He came around during the evening. We'd all go to get our ice cream, but anytime he'd see one of us standing off to the side he knew we didn't have money to get an ice cream. He was never going to allow a child to be without when all their friends had ice cream. He'd aways make sure everyone had an ice cream. I'm sure that free one cost him his profit from that stop, but he never cared. He is someone who has never been forgotten by any of us because of his generous heart.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:29am
post #184 of 189

WOAH!!! In a bad bad world there are some darn good good people! Love ya all!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #185 of 189

I gave Halloween costumes to my friend's 4 foster kids, and also cooked them a four course meal including a raspberry almond torte.

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #186 of 189

Hi everyone,

My story happened a couple of years ago (approx. 5-6 years). I used to live in NYC so I always took the Subway (train). I was on my way home from school and the train wasn't very crowded at that time. You know how it is in the train, there are a lot of people asking for money; from the blind, the disabled, kids' basketball teams, etc. I don't mind giving any money but on that particular day I gave out more $ than I ever did.

There was this man. He was giving out cards that turned out to be sign-language cards. He went from one side of the car to the other side, then started collecting it. If people wanted to give some $ they could keep the cards. Usually, I just give whatever change I have in my wallet. But that day, my heart felt different. I only have $20 (1-$20 bill) and that's it. While he was collecting it, my mind and my heart had a battle of their own. If I gave this man my last $20, I wouldn't have anything left for the rest of the week. But my heart kept telling me that I should just give it to him. That I should not worry about what happened afterward.

Well, I didn't give him the money. As he finished taking back the cards, I noticed that NO ONE else on that car gave him any money. All of the sudden, I felt REALLY REALLY bad (and almost cried) and decided right there that I was just going to give him that money. As I finished taking the money out of my wallet, he already moved out to another part of the train. I chased him (while the train was still moving), excused myself from other passengers so I could walk through and tapped him on the back and gave him the $20.

His face showed that he thought I just gave him a $1 or something, but when he saw that it was a $20, his face lit up. Then, with his eyes, he said the most thank you ever that made me cry right there (teary-eyed mode on* icon_cry.gif ). I had to wear my sunglasses so people couldn't see my red, swollen eyes. But deep down inside, I felt very very relieved. Somehow I knew he needed that money more than I needed it. And what did I know? Someone gave me $200 (at least, couldn't remember it) on Sunday as a love-gift. God really is good.

--> I believe this is my 2nd post. Is there a place where I can introduce myself. I just recently got into baking and decorating and have learned a LOT from CCers and hoping that I can also help others who just started.

I love this tread. *Saved*

-casmom-

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #187 of 189

Wow, I didn't know this thread was still going!!
I have sat here with tears in my eyes reading the last 2 pages.
Everytime I turn on the t.v. I hear something bad. I am happy to hear all of these stories.

DH cuts grass for a living. The owner of a set of condos husband of 30 yrs. passed away after a long illness. DH called to tell me he passed and asked if I could make his wife a card. He wanted to stop over to check on her after work.
I made the card.( I had been baking all day so I didn't go with dh) I sent her some chocolate cake with caramel filling, and made coconut macaroons. She loved everything.

On tuesday of this week, I received the sweetest thank you card from her. icon_smile.gif

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:51pm
post #188 of 189

thumbs_up.gif Good to see this post moving again.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #189 of 189

I donated several plates of cake balls and cupcakes to our local high school for the music boosters. I stopped by to see if they went well, and she pulled me off to the side and said, "you have got to make those again, they were gone almost instantly." I didn't have them marked cheaply either, so it made a nice chunk of change for the school. It kind of made me feel good, because our music program here is really hurting. They need all the help they can get. So I told her to let me know the next time they needed them to let me know. The expense for me was so little for the amount that it did for the school. I just love stories like these. I'm really glad you started this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%