Wasc Cake, Is This The Cake Of Choice? I Wasnt Impressed.

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm by -K8memphis

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #61 of 73

...........Can this recipe be used for cupcakes.........

Certainly. There is no special recipe for ccs. Just don't overbake them.

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #62 of 73

I use the original wasc recipe that calls for whole eggs and no oil. It always comes out very moist and white in color. Even when I've overcooked it , it is still moist. I absolutely love it as well as the people I serve it too. I've always used sour cream in my cakes and I think that is the secret to a moist cake.

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #63 of 73

Hi: I use nothing but the recipe with the oil and the extra egg. I get nothing but rave reviews on all of the cakes and cupcakes that I make with this recipe. I love this cake recipe. I use the vanilla, almond, and butter extracts in my icing not in my cake. I found this recipe and will never go back. I also use the duncan hines classic yellow, and butter yellow cake mixes. I love this cake recipe. Vicki0052.

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #64 of 73

I think the sour cream is the key to the cake being moist, also. Vicki0052.[[/b]

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #65 of 73

I do the pudding/less water/oil/extra egg and a good hard squeeze of pure vanilla and people love it. Very moist. I do it for yellow, white, and chocolate....I have scratch recipes for the others, including a chocolate scratch...but if its for kids and they just say "chocolate" I just use the doctored box mix. Actually had a customer rave over my chocolate doctored box cake the other day...said she took one taste and then took the rest of the tier (it was a 6", the 10" was vanilla) and hid it for later and served the vanilla. haha.

chinacat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinacat77 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

I just had to let you guys know...I gave this cake another shot, using a different recipe. Its same as the original except with 1/4 oil and 4 eggs. OMG I cant even tell you how BIG of a difference that made! It went from a very dry cake to a seriously over moist cake. Not only that but every day it sat in the fridge it seemed to have gotten moister. It was great and Im so glad you guys told me there was another version to this recipe because, guess what....NOW YOU'VE GOT ME HOOKED!

ok, im about to do the same thing to this recipe...add extra oil and 1 extra egg.....did you use less water? so seriously over moist is a good thing right?

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #67 of 73

ok just had to put my 2 cents worth in..............cause I despise almond flavoring...........it smells like poison.. icon_biggrin.gif anytime a recipe calls for almond I always substitute pure vanilla. If it calls for a tsp of almond and a tsp of vanilla.........well that's 2 tsps of vanilla to me! I love the WASC cake but mine is actually a WVSC cake! I don't know what it is. I love almonds themselves.....the nuts.......toasted....slivered or whatever but that smell of that extract is atrocious! (is that spelled right? icon_lol.gif )

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #68 of 73

I agree Izzy, I dislike the almond extract - so vanilla it is!!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #69 of 73

There are a couple of WASC recipes but this is the one I use EXCLUSIVELY and is my most requested cake. My DH tells everyone that is the best cake to order. HTH (I also use the whole egg and it is an Ivory color not yellow)

> 2 boxes white cake mix
> 2 C flour
> 2 C sugar
> 1 ½ tsp salt
> 2 2/3 C water
> 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
> 2 tsp real vanilla
> 2 tsp pure almond extract
> 2 C (16 oz carton) sour cream
> 8 large egg whites
>
> Sift cake mix &flour to remove any lumps. Then add all dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together to combine. Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl and mix well. Beat on a low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees F until cake tests done.
>
> I have also just added 6 whole eggs rather than mess with separating eggs, etc. and it comes out great.
>
> have a choc version too; just use 6 whole egs and no almond if you dont want it. i use this recipe for ever cake flavor i do.... perfcet every time, imo.
> Sharon

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #70 of 73

So a standard box mix yields 5 cups. How much does a standard WASC yield?

I believe I tried the same one the poster did as well and it was dry like bread.

I am swaying, I'm leaning, almost there to give it a try again. LOL! Everyone swears it is so moist and delicious icon_confused.gif I know you're not fibbing cuz your customers would revolt. icon_lol.gif

Ok, I will give it a try next week. Which one is your NEVER-FAIL? That's the one I need. LOL. Oh and I don't want to waste eggs, so I don't care of it's yellow.

Um, I don't like almond extract in BC. I think it's wayyy too strong. I'd sub with extra vanilla in the WASC. IF that's allowed. icon_wink.gif That would just make it YVSC. LOL.

I felt so bad! Last week I brought a pound cake to a bbq and used 1/2 tsp almond extract and it was so wonderful and moist. Turns out the host is allergic to nuts and couldn't eat the cake because of the extract. How embarassing. icon_redface.gif K8mephis, maybe she was allergic. He said his throat will close up and he could stop breathing! icon_eek.gif Apparently, the more you get exposed to a nut, the worse the symptoms get... Maybe she hurled because of that? I think I'd stick with that possibility rather than think she just hated it. icon_smile.gif She should have definitely apologized and explained herself.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #71 of 73

I never ever use almond, because I have nut allergies and I don't want to worry about allergies in those who eat my cakes. I use the recipe with egg whites, but mainly because it's the first one I saw on here and thought it was wonderful. Why switch?
I just use vanilla, but not 2 tablespoons! The mixes are flavored. That would be overkill.

Jodie

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacat77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

I just had to let you guys know...I gave this cake another shot, using a different recipe. Its same as the original except with 1/4 oil and 4 eggs. OMG I cant even tell you how BIG of a difference that made! It went from a very dry cake to a seriously over moist cake. Not only that but every day it sat in the fridge it seemed to have gotten moister. It was great and Im so glad you guys told me there was another version to this recipe because, guess what....NOW YOU'VE GOT ME HOOKED!

ok, im about to do the same thing to this recipe...add extra oil and 1 extra egg.....did you use less water? so seriously over moist is a good thing right?

I didnt use any less water. Im so glad I tried it this way. icon_smile.gif Makes all the difference in the world.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #73 of 73

Skis, yes that poor lady--but she didn't swell up or mention any allergies and nobody was wielding an epi pen with a crazed look in their eye. But I mean she was the designated eater of cake samples by the group--that's dumb if you're that freaked by a normal oft used flavor--but that's cool.

But if you're trying the wasc--consider using self rising flour & ditch the salt--or if you use all purpose flour maybe add a teaspoon of baking powder--the first time I made it I thought about those extra ingredients just weighing that stuff down rather than enhancing the cake mix so I never tried it without it.

Just a thought for you on the lighter (sans almond icon_smile.gif side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%