Wasc Cake, Is This The Cake Of Choice? I Wasnt Impressed.

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm by -K8memphis

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:50am
post #1 of 73

Everyone seems to talk about the WASC cake so much so I tried it last night. Im sorry I wasnt impressed. To me it seemed dry with a weird flavor. I made it exactly to the directions and added a tbsp of almond. The directions stated a tbsp of flavor so I did, but when I tasted the batter it seemed very strong. I could taste the alcohol and was worried but after it baked it wasnt so bad. I can say, though, it baked the most beautiful cake Ive ever seen! Nice and dense and a beautiful color.

Do most of you use this as you cake of choice? I actually think I just like the flavor of the box mix by itself better. Maybe its just me because that is what Im used to also. Im used to mixes that use oil.

So what is your cake mix of choice and why? If you have a favorite recipe maybe you can post a link for me. icon_smile.gif

72 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 73

Did you use a whole tablespoon of one flavor? That may be your problem, use half vanilla and half almond. This flavor is my biggest seller, hands down.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 73

I love almond flavor, but I've always done half almond, half vanilla... And I've never had WASC turn out dry. Ever. It it usually a very moist cake. That said, it's all about personal preference.

Good luck in your search for the best recipes for you! I know it's trying.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 73

I did use just one flavor. Ill try it again with vanilla too. Maybe that is part of the taste issue. As far as being dry, maybe its just the difference in texture because there is no oil.

Its probably just me. Ive been a decorator for nearly two years and at work we just use regular birthday cake type mixes. Im not a baker. Im still new at that. So maybe just because Im so used to the taste of the cake at work it seems weird to me.

Im going to try it again though. Thanks for the input guys. icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 73

There are actually quite a few people out there who simply don't like almond flavoring, and you might be one of them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Since it baked beautifully and you like the "quality" of the cake itself, try it with other flavoring. I, too, include vanilla as one of the base flavors, so I balance the other half with the flavoring of choice.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 73

You can add any flavoring to it. That is the great thing about it. I haven't ever had it dry either. A matter of fact it is more moist than the regular box IMO.

I have a list of versions of it if you want to email me I can send you some.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 73

Hmm.. I find the WASC more on the verge of overly moist than anywhere near dry. Maybe you should try the other version that uses oil? I prefer it.

I've tweaked the recipe to my liking and this is what I use now:

Cake mix
1/2 pack pudding
4 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
dash of salt
2-3 teaspoons extract
1/4 cup oil

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 73

I tried it once and found it to be dry as well and I've been baking for many many years. I'm no fan of almond so I used all vanilla and found the taste to be quite nice though.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 73

I've never had it turn out dry. It's very moist. I prefer the recipe with the oil added myself. I did try the "original" version and thought it was drier than the oil version. I've only made it with almond once and I used half almond and half vanilla. I use this recipe for almost all of my cakes regardless of flavor. It's really versitile, and everyone who's had one that I've made loves it. I love the texture of it more than anything.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 73

I've baked the WASC before and also found it to be verrrry moist. But, my husband (my official taste-tester!) did not prefer the taste. I used half vanilla, half almond. I liked it, however. I agree with other posters...personal preference maybe???

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Everyone seems to talk about the WASC cake so much so I tried it last night. Im sorry I wasnt impressed. To me it seemed dry with a weird flavor. I made it exactly to the directions and added a tbsp of almond. The directions stated a tbsp of flavor so I did, but when I tasted the batter it seemed very strong. I could taste the alcohol and was worried but after it baked it wasnt so bad. I can say, though, it baked the most beautiful cake Ive ever seen! Nice and dense and a beautiful color.

Do most of you use this as you cake of choice? I actually think I just like the flavor of the box mix by itself better. Maybe its just me because that is what Im used to also. Im used to mixes that use oil.

So what is your cake mix of choice and why? If you have a favorite recipe maybe you can post a link for me. icon_smile.gif

A tablespoon of flavor is more than I use. I mean you're only adding a cup of flour to one box of mix. So the cake mix comes already flavored so you just need to add enough flavoring for one cup of batter--a tablespoon is too much in my opinion. One teaspoon of flavor covers it for me and I just use vanilla.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

A tablespoon of flavor is more than I use. I mean you're only adding a cup of flour to one box of mix. So the cake mix comes already flavored so you just need to add enough flavoring for one cup of batter--a tablespoon is too much in my opinion. One teaspoon of flavor covers it for me and I just use vanilla.

Well yeah Kakeladi's wasc recipe says a tablespoon--that's a ton of flavoring though. Oh well what do I know.

erinalicia Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 73

I only use a teaspoon of flavor per cake mix too. My favorite lately has been vanilla and using the BC golden vanilla cake mix. YUM.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 73

I have a doctored version of it that I use -- it's my best seller. Play with it until you get it just the way YOU like it.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 73

I have switched to the WASC. It is way more moist than just the box alone. I do find the WASC a bit sweet though, so I do cut down on the sugar. I am using the recipe with oil but it's not the one that's stated above. Also like the others I don't use 1 tbsp. of flavoring. Like they said the cake mix already has flavorings in it. I like to use the french vanilla BC mix.

Here is the link to the WASC recipe I use:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html

erinalicia Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 73

Kerry, that's the same recipe I use, but I use 6 whole eggs instead of just egg whites. icon_smile.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 73

Oh I should add that I use the whole egg as well. This recipe is the doubled recipe. So I use 4 whole eggs per cake mix. icon_smile.gif

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 73

I have to agree with other posters....I only use 1tsp of vanilla or 1/2 vanilla, 1/2 almond for one cake mix. 1 T just seemed way too strong for me.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 73

I jus made this cake for the first time and I made a few changes to the recipe. It's absolutely fabulous! I used whole eggs, 1/2 t vanilla, 1/2 t almond, and added a box of cheesecake flavored pudding mix. Even my mother (who hates white cake) LOVED this recipe. It tastes wonderful. I'm going to make another for us today (the first was for a customer.)

erinalicia Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #20 of 73

what does adding an extra egg to the mix do?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #21 of 73

For those who use whole eggs .... it's no longer a "white" cake, then is it? icon_confused.gif I made a big sheet cake last week (22x2icon_cool.gif and went ahead and used whole eggs in the white part of the cake and of course it turned out yellow. I can't imagine serving that color of cake as my "white" wedding cake. I have this recipe printed out in my "try this out when you have some free time" pile (Free time? interesting concept! icon_biggrin.gif ). Does this recipe stay "white" with whole eggs, or is it a yellow cake?

erinalicia Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #22 of 73

I've made it with just the egg whites before, but I don't like wasting the yolks. I don't have a particular need for "wedding white" cakes as I don't make them, but the whole eggs do turn a white cake mix kind of a pale yellow or ivory color.

If you want a true white cake, you should just use the egg whites.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

For those who use whole eggs .... it's no longer a "white" cake, then is it? icon_confused.gif I made a big sheet cake last week (22x2icon_cool.gif and went ahead and used whole eggs in the white part of the cake and of course it turned out yellow. I can't imagine serving that color of cake as my "white" wedding cake. I have this recipe printed out in my "try this out when you have some free time" pile (Free time? interesting concept! icon_biggrin.gif ). Does this recipe stay "white" with whole eggs, or is it a yellow cake?

I was always taught that the difference between a white cake and a yellow cake is....egg yolk! Actually, in the Betty Crocker cookbook that I've been using, the recipe for white cake and the recipe for yellow cake are virtually identical except that there's a bit less sugar in one of them and the yellow cake uses whole eggs (4) while the white cake uses whites (6). So....yeah, I think it becomes a YASC when you use whole eggs, instead of a WASC.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #24 of 73

I also use half vanilla and half almond and it is also my best seller by far, and it is also very moist , just play with it a little. customers do love it.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #25 of 73

Most of my requests are 1/2 vanilla flavoring and 1/2 butter flavoring...delicious!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #26 of 73

The first time I tried WASC, I was a bit taken aback by the texture, I wasn't sure about it, but then again I couldn't stop eating the cake scraps until I figured out whether I like it or not (I used lemon extract in the place of almond)...then I did the same thing but with the chocolate version...and this week I made the chocolate version with some orange flavoring instead of the chocolate flavoring. After eating half that cake, I think that I have confirmed I like WASC! I was a scartch baker a few months ago, but this is just soooo easy and the possibilities are endless! My name is Carly and I am addicted to WASC.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #27 of 73

I use whole eggs in mine and it is an off white. Not really a golden yellow. I don't use it for a "white" cake though.

Has anyone tried to add a little wilton white to it to make it whiter or even the violet trick? It works for icing why wouldn't it work for batter?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #28 of 73

The difference between a scratch yellow and white is the yolk.. And a truly white-white cake uses shortening opposed to butter. But if you're using a box.. The difference between a yellow and white is huge. They have completely different tastes. I don't typically serve a white-white cake... So I still use yolks even in the white almond. It's still pretty white, IMO. I just wish boxed yellow cakes didn't have so much darn yellow coloring! It's so fake looking.

Kerry_Kake Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

For those who use whole eggs .... it's no longer a "white" cake, then is it? icon_confused.gif

I agree totally. If I were to do a wedding cake and the bride wanted "white white cake" then I would definitely not use the yolks!! And use clear vanilla!
Like I said I really like the flavor of the BC french vanilla with "whole eggs" for birthday and celebration cakes! icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #30 of 73
Quote:

I did use just one flavor. Ill try it again with vanilla too. Maybe that is part of the taste issue. As far as being dry, maybe its just the difference in texture because there is no oil.

Its probably just me. Ive been a decorator for nearly two years and at work we just use regular birthday cake type mixes. Im not a baker. Im still new at that. So maybe just because Im so used to the taste of the cake at work it seems weird to me.

Im going to try it again though. Thanks for the input guys. icon_smile.gif

No, it's not just you - I tried white WASC once and that was enough. To me it tasted like flour...blech. I stick with Duncan and Betty who never steer me wrong, thank you!

As a side note, I did try the chocolate version of WASC once and was equally unimpressed, however my husband raved that it was his new favorite...so, there you go - everyone's taste is different, I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%