Wanna Lose Weight? Calling All Chunky Monkeys!

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm by TexasSugar

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:07am
post #361 of 412

+0.2lbs again this week. I bet when I step on the scale tomorrow morning, well later today after I have slept it will be like down 2lbs cause thats usually what happens, ugh! I just want under 150 icon_sad.gif

Evidently I need to make myself less available to be more attractive. So anyone have any sexy men for me? lol

Janelle

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #362 of 412

I ususually hit the scale first thing in the morning...I don't want to weigh my 2 mugs of coffee and the first big glass of water LOL

So I started last week low carbing again, down 3 lbs now. Yay! It'll slow down to 1-2 lbs a week now, but that works for me.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #363 of 412

I'm seriously considering the slimfast plan to get things rolling again. Well not really slimfast but my own protein and frozen fruit smoothie for breakfast and lunch (or dinner) and a lean cuisine for dinner (or lunch).

I think my biggest set back is that I am sleeping very odd hours and so my eating is not on any kind of schedule.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #364 of 412

Listen to Jade!!! She's so right about the Protein Power book and plan....I've started losing again thanks to her advice. Sorry I'm not on here much but life's insane. Current weight is now 288. I've lost 26 lbs. so far......

EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #365 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

[My doctor told me to pick up Protein Power. It's basically a book that teaches you how to do low-carb, without doing NO-carb. icon_smile.gif

Who is the author of this book?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #366 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

Quote:

[My doctor told me to pick up Protein Power. It's basically a book that teaches you how to do low-carb, without doing NO-carb. icon_smile.gif

Who is the author of this book?

It's by Michael R. Eades and Mary Dan Eades. icon_biggrin.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #367 of 412

So is it this book?

emrldsky Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #368 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

So is it this book?

Yep!!! icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #369 of 412

hi guys! Any room for another chunky monkey?

I'm Renee, 39, and have been working at losing weight since last summer. I pretty much let it go over the holidays and have had a hard time getting back into the groove. I haven't gained, but certainly haven't lost either. icon_sad.gif I've got 20 lbs more to go...

EnjoyTheCake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #370 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I've got 20 lbs more to go...

There is always room for more. We're here for you. We will suffer and rejoice with you as long as you let us know what we can do to help.

Let these two little guys inspire you to hang in there and trust those around you to help.

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #371 of 412

Aww! Thanks EnjoyTheCake! How cute is that monkey??

emrldsky Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #372 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I'm Renee, 39, and have been working at losing weight since last summer. I pretty much let it go over the holidays and have had a hard time getting back into the groove. I haven't gained, but certainly haven't lost either. icon_sad.gif I've got 20 lbs more to go...

Unlike skinny jeans, there's always room for one more in the Chunky Monkey group!

Welcome!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #373 of 412

Welcome to new Chunky Monkeys!!!

I had a terrible week last week, first my 2 year old had the stomach bug, then my 5 year old and my husband. I couldn't leave the house because every time I turned around somebody was throwing up or having diarrhea and I was constantly doing laundry and my husband was too sick to care for anybody. icon_sad.gif So I gained 2 pounds, but have that gone now and was below 170 this morning for the first time in at least 5-6 years!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

I need to get out for a run today, it has been a week since I ran so it's going to be hard, but necessary.

Keep up all the exercise and healthy eating everybody!! Spring is here now, and summer sexy clothes season is around the corner!!!

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #374 of 412
Quote:

Unlike skinny jeans, there's always room for one more in the Chunky Monkey group!

Welcome!

Hehee! I love it!

Kay - sorry to hear about your family sickness last week! Hope everyone is feeling better and your schedule can return to normal!

Thanks for the welcome! So this thread inspired me to get back on the scale this morning... 159.5 Exactly what I expected. I didn't make it on the treadmill last night, this is part of my problem. I had been walking 3 miles on the tm every night for months. And now i'm a slacker. thumbsdown.gif I've been having a little pity party for myself since DH got laid off last month and I have to work more hours. But it's time to get over it - Today is a new day!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #375 of 412

I also recommend the Protein Power book - it explains in depth why low carb works and how your body metabolizes protein/carbs/fats.

I'd also recommend thoroughly reading Atkin's New Diet Revolution, which explains what you can and can't eat, etc. Alot of people think low carb = can eat a pound of bacon for breakfast and a big steak for dinner every night, and it reallty isn't. While you can sometimes have these, it's more based on lean proteins, healthy fats, and lots of non-starchy veggies.

Additionally, cookbooks by George Stella (whose family of 4 lost over 500 lbs doing low carb) and Dana Carpender are really great for answering "what to eat".

Kay_NL Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:55am
post #376 of 412

I moderate my carbs but I don't really follow guidelines as to what I can eat or not. As long as my scale is continuing in the right direction, I am happy! If and when I plateau I will likely change that approach to eating! icon_smile.gif

The carbs I do eat are never white, I don't eat white bread, rice, pasta, etc. I eat red meat once a week at the most and never eat processed meats such as bacon.

Renee, I simply cannot exercise at night. I get up with the birds and exercise then, and usually do something at lunch time! By the time 9pm comes, I'm ready for bed. lol!!! I hope you get back to the treadmill routine soon!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #377 of 412

Well I ended up slacking on my walking. Totally my fault! I have been working outside a lot in the last two weeks, so that is something. I had decided that I would start back after Easter, of course now we have left over desserts sitting around. UGH!!

Tonight I have a course 1, which my nephew is taking. I'm hoping he does well, on listening as much as the other stuff. He has a cute idea for a cake though.

Tomorrow, well that is the first day of trying again. icon_smile.gif

Hope everyone had a great Easter! HUGS!

emrldsky Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #378 of 412

So, I went to the doc last week, my TSH test levels came back high...double what they were in December so I'm on new meds that will hopefully work. I'm going to double my dose starting tomorrow and hopefully in a week, I'll feel normal, and maybe can get past my plateau.

So while I haven't lost, I haven't gained either.

TWO BLOOMIN POUNDS! COME ON! icon_wink.gif

beachcakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #379 of 412

Well, I've been slacking with my walking also. icon_sad.gif But this morning DH & I went to the weight room at 5:30 and I did 2 miles on the treadmill at 3.8 which is fast for my short little legs. Although I think their treadmill is off. It felt like a 3.5 would be on mine at home. I feel better that I did it! It's so hard in the evenings.

I still have Easter leftovers also - but tonight will be the end of them. icon_smile.gif Baked mac n cheese is my favorite and we only have it once a year! I have the crockpot going today with split pea & ham soup, so it should be ready when I get home tonight also.

Jade - not sure what TSH is, but I hope the new meds will help the scale move in the right direction!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #380 of 412

Hey everyone,
Welcome to our new Chunky Monkees. Jade, I so hope that they get your meds where they should be. I know it must be aggravating.
I've done pretty well the last couple of weeks but the last couple of days haven't been real great. Had fast food a few times while out working. Unfortunately, we have to eat when we can and what we can at the location of work. Can't leave the area. Anyway, going out to dinner tomorrow evening and I know that's gonna be tempting too. Just gotta be strong, I reckon. I still haven't gotten back to my routine of walking. I do well for a few days but then get side tracked for a few days. Well, you get the idea. But everything will fall into place. Never as quickly as I'd like so just gotta have patience.
OK, hope everyone has a great day. Be strong and think positive.......

sweetbn Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #381 of 412

Hey ladies,

Hope ou all had a great Easter. I contemplated dropping out of the group yesterday because Im pretty discouraged this week +2.2lbs. I dont know what it is I'm not doing right, but I'm starting to ride my bike to work this week icon_smile.gif

Jade I hope you are able to get your thyroid level under control and lose those 2lbs! You are so close it must be exciting.

butternut Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #382 of 412

sweetbn, we've all been there and I'm still going through it on and off. Please don't consider not being a part of our group just because you put back on a couple of pounds. Now is the time that you need encouragement the most and that's why we're here. We just need to pick ourselves back up and start again when this happens. I've had to do it, gosh, let's see, I think 3 times since we started the thread icon_rolleyes.gif I lose 10 pounds and then gain back 3, lose 8 pounds, gain back 2. Because we have all gone through this, each one of us can totally relate to how the other feels when the scale doesn't show a loss or shows a gain for them. Losing weight is not easy and we're not going to show a loss each and every week. Sometimes it's simply because we've eaten too much or not worked out enough. Other times it's because we're bloated or our bodies just say, time to adjust before losing any more. It can drive ya nuts, if ya let it. Just gotta keep pluggin along and everything will fall into place. You can do it, I know you can...... Just remember, we're here for each other, no matter what........

TexasSugar Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #383 of 412

Yeah what Margie said! Cause she always says it so well.

Sweetbn, please don't leave yet. I totally know how you feel. You do well for a week or two, then the scale sticks it tongue out at you or life gets in the way and losing weight gets pushed to the side. One thing that has kept this journey on my mind, even when I'm not walking like I should or I'm eating a cookie, is this thread. It is that place I know I can turn to and those here can totally understand.

My weight loss journey started 3 years ago, and it is something I know will always be a part of me. It has to be. BUT we don't want to let it rule our lives or dictate how we feel about ourselves any given day.

I can say to you exactly what I should say to myself right now. If you are gaining then take a step back and reevaluate what you are doing. Are you exercising still? Are you eating okay? Has life thrown you a detour and you haven't caught back up yet?

Sometimes our bodies get use to what we are doing and we have to kick it up a notch. Sometimes we get frustrated by the scale and instead of pushing us to work harder we want to give up. (I have soooo been there!!).

Sometimes we have to think about what week is it. Is it the week before or of your monthly visitor? That totally screws with my weight. Have you been getting enough water? Dehydration actually causes our bodies to hold on to water, and water adds to your weight. Have you getting a lot of sodium? It always seems the day before weight in is when I end up eating something really salty.

Take a deep breathe and decide what step you need to take for yourself. And if it is the scale that is making you frustrated, then skip weighing for a week or two, while you work on losing weight again.

But please don't let those numbers on the scale keep you from posting. *HUGS*

Has anyone heard from or talked to Molly? I hate to think we scared her off with our warnings, even though they needed to be said.

beachcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #384 of 412

You ladies are awesome!

Hope everyone's having a great week - I'm so glad it's Friday! icon_smile.gif

DH got me up at the crack of 5AM this morning to go hiking with him, which is no small feat! I like to sleep to the last possible second before getting DS off to school and me off to work! And you know what? It's COLD in NY. There was frost on the ground and it was still dark!! I wanted to kill him. But i put on layers and ski gloves and off we went. I'd say we did about 2 miles - it's back through the woods and hilly, so it's hard to gauge, but it took 1 1/2 hrs. And I'm not miserable at work today and have a sense of accomplishment.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Kay_NL Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #385 of 412

Keep up the great work monkeys!! icon_biggrin.gif sweetbn, please don't leave! We all have our ups and downs, but as long as we are slowly getting down right??

I've been so snacky lately, finally the Easter chocolate is gone! I've been maintaining my weight but know I could be losing if I'd lay off the snacks! I took my bike out yesterday for the first time, even though there was frost on the ground! I'm also increasing my run time, distance and speed in anticipation of a 10 mile road race in 3 months!

I'm around, just not posting much. icon_smile.gif Loving that spring seems to have finally sprung here!

sweetbn Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #386 of 412

Hi Ladies,

Thats great to hear that you are increasing your distance and speed with your running Kay! Thanks for the support everyone. I took a week off from weighing myself, but I evaluated some of the food choices I have been making lately and they are certainly less than pretty. I also realized that I have not been getting enough water. So my goal this week is to make better food choices and get in more water. I will see if I want to weigh in for the next week, but in the end its just a number so I dont know why I let it get me so bent out of shape.

Ironically while I was feeling like a hungry hippo one of the physicians at work commented that I have lost a lot of weight. He even asked if I was trying to lose weight and said I looked good. I stammered out a thank you after I turned 50 shades of red. So I really need to get a grip with my body image because I kind of thought that my uniforms must be stretching and thats why I constantly have to pull my pants up
icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

We are having beautiful weather here too, which I have been soaking up as much as I can by walking my dog icon_smile.gif

Have a great week ladies!!

butternut Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #387 of 412

Hey everyone. Yes!!!!!! Finally the weather is warm and the sun even came out today. Isn't it amazing how a warm breeze and sun on our faces makes us so much happier and energized? BRING it on!!!!
Katherine - We're in the same boat. Boy, I've had the munchies like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately, I've given in to my cravings for the last week thumbsdown.gif Yep, I've been a really bad girl AGAIN..... Soooooo, I spent most of the day writing up a menu for the next week or so. I have each day where I will get all of my fruit and veggies in as well as my popcorn at night and a snack between meals. I'm GONNA stick by this menu. If it's not on the menu, I'm NOT eating it, plain and simple. What's been hurting me the most is a handful of this, a handful of that. Well, those handfuls add up at the end of the day. So no more peeping into the cabinets for a couple of chips or crackers. Not on the list, not in my tummy!!!!!!!!! Gonna get back on the treadmill and eliptical tomorrow too. With me, if I'm not eating right, I don't exercise either. I don't know why, can't figure out why I do that. I guess I feel that watching what I eat and exercising goes hand in hand. Therefore if I'm not eating right, might as well not exercise either. icon_rolleyes.gif Yep, I'm my own worst enemy.... Boy, for someone who is fairly smart, I sure do some dumb things sometimes icon_lol.gif
OK, hope everyone has a great week. Smile and think positive. I'm going to get a badminton set tomorrow. Yay, fun and exercise at the same time......

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #388 of 412

I am sorry, I have been avoiding this thread like the plague. I did really good for over 2 weeks and lost 6 more pounds but then I saw the whoopie pie thread and it all came unraveled. Ugh. lol OK that's just an excuse. icon_biggrin.gif

I have still been trying to keep my calories really low but have bumped them up to around 1200 now (minus the whoopie pie episode of course!). The biggest help to me was when I found out that Splenda does not have a terrible aftertaste like the other sweeteners do. I can drink my sweet tea again and that is like breathing again to me. I thank you guys for your concern and I agree with you 100% but I think the crash diet was good for me. I think I needed to realize that it was something I had the willpower to do and now it isn't so hard to eat a third of the dinner I used to eat. I will keep at it and the weight will come off eventually. Now I just need to tackle the smoking and I will be good to go. I am saving that for the end of summer though. I have too many things going on medically with my 5 year old right now and I don't think quitting would be good until its all over. OK that's another excuse. Smoking is my crutch and I admit I am not strong enough to let go of it yet. I keep telling my hubby I need a week to isolate myself in a hotel room so noone gets hurt when I finally go for it!

I am glad to hear everyone is doing well and trying so hard to stay on the wagon. This is not easy at all. I have realized that. My sympathies are with you. *raises a whoopie pie in salute* oh dang *gives it to the kids* sigh.

emrldsky Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #389 of 412

OH-EM-GEE! Check out the siggy. icon_smile.gif

Yep...one...little...itty...bitty...pound!

icon_wink.gif Ok, so it's just a number. That pound won't get me into a smaller jean size, but it's the PRINCIPLE!

Anyway...just had to share. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #390 of 412

Send me your pound!!! I'll add it to all those other ones I need to lose.

Tomorrow I am spending the day working outside. I have flats of flowers to pot up that I picked up today. Before these addition it always takes me 30-45 mins to water my flowers. I think I'm asking for trouble, but man they are pretty!!

I haven't worked out much, but I did do some raking and planting at my grandma's today, so I did burn some calories then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%