Ugh... I Need Help Preventing This!

Decorating By lasvegasmommma Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 2:14am by Criola

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 16

So... I made this for a friend of mine, and tried to give it to her for free, although she insisted giving me $30.00.

The icing cracked!!! icon_cry.gif

It looked awesome last night, and when I took it out of the fridge and picked it up, it cracked!

I am assuming the cake was too heave for the board, and the icing set overnight. It is a cream cheese frosting, but this has happened with BC before too.

I am using the Wilton cake boards... are they too flimsy???

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 16

A single layer of a cardboard is usually not enough for a cake that size.

Either use multiple boards, foam core, or masonite boards to prevent that rotten bend in the middle.

lasvegasmommma Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 16

Masonite boards? I have never heard of those!

Is there a good online source to buy thick boards from?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 16

Just double, triple, or quadruple your boards for bigger cakes. Glue em together.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 16

masonite boards can be found at countrykitchensa.com

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 16

You don't say what size or shape this cake of yours was.
There are several thing that can cause the problem. One has already been addressed by others - you may need to double your cakeboard or use masonite.
Another thing that can lead to icing cracking is your recipe doesn't have enough fat in it -- depending on the recipe you used you might need to add a bit more to make the icing creamier.

lasvegasmommma Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 16

The cake was a half sheet.

The icing was a mix of cream cheese, butter, cinnamon and powdered sugar. I am thinking the cream cheese and butter should have been enough fat... correct?

lasvegasmommma Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 16

Are the masonite boards reusable? I am sure they are if you cover them w/ something, but what if you don't?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 16

Oh you would definitely cover a masonite board. you can also buy cake drums.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 16

.........thinking the cream cheese and butter should have been enough fat... correct?......

Yes definatelyicon_smile.gif I bet that was one heavy cake. That's why you need to put it on 2 boards glued together or masoniteicon_smile.gif

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:35am
post #11 of 16

I had this same thing happen to me on the first cake I made. I nearly broke my cake in half. I learned REALLY fast to at least double my boards icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your future cakes!

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #12 of 16

I had this same thing happen to me on the first cake I made. I nearly broke my cake in half. I learned REALLY fast to at least double my boards icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your future cakes!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #13 of 16

That has happened to me before too. I don't htink it was the icing. I think with it being refridgerated and then pulled out and if the board bends at all.....it will crack. Just try to use a heavier board and be extra careful!

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #14 of 16

how did you grab the cake when you took it out...sorry, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence (just in case that's what you thought). I was told by the lady at my cake store not to grab it by the ends because it woudl bend even with doubled cake boards. Although I typically have one hand under the middle of my cake. Just thought that you might want to think about that when grabbing it as that could have been a contributing factor. I hoep you have better luck.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #15 of 16

This is the very reason I use 3/8" or 1/2" plywood cakeboards covered with white Contact and then heavy-duty foil, plus the base of my cakebox supports the cake as well. Here is an example of what I use.
LL

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #16 of 16

It's a combo of both the board and the icing....try using a non-crusting icing...I had the same problem even with a sturdy board and it was resolved by using a non-crusting icing...the cake looks pretty though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%