Sugarshack...anyone? Please Help

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 10:08am by jess85

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 10

ok, so I made a batch of chocolate icing and I don't know if I just have not put enough chocolate in, but it is a really really light colored chocolate. (smart me did not measure the chocolate icon_redface.gif )Any ideas on how to make it really dark. I am using the hersey powdered cocoa. so now that I have it mixed can I just add more of it to the icing? or will that not turn out. And/or should I put some type of coloring in the icing that will help me?

I am so lost. I have never made a chocolate buttercream and never for a wedding. So I am testing it on a friends birthday cake, and I really wanted to supprise her tomorrow with it.

Thanks
Janice

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:28am
post #2 of 10

I would add more cocoa powder and probably a little more liquid. I've made lots of chocolate buttercream and when it has enough cocoa, it doesn't need brown food coloring. If you can sift the cocoa powder before you put it in, that would be a good idea, so you don't get lumps in the frosting.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #3 of 10

To be sure it blends, I would take a small portion of icing an add maybe 1/2 cup of cocoa and blend it well, then beat that into your icing.

My recipe for chocolate butter cream is 1 cup of fats (butter, marg,shortning) 1 pound powdered sugar, 3/4 - 1full cup cocoa and a vew tablespoons of milk.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:32am
post #4 of 10

i would melt 3 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate and add it to the icing. this should solve your problem. icon_wink.gif

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:51am
post #5 of 10

thanks, I tried 3oz of semi-sweet chocolate. and it definately tastes better... but still really light. so in sugarshacks icing do you think that maybe I just need more than 3 oz?

Janice

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:29am
post #6 of 10

Hey!

I dont measure my cocoa either. I just dump in a bunch while the fats are creamng unitl it is super dark. yes it does lighten as u add the PS. I think you could just use more cocoa next time, and of course increase your liquid. I have heard of folks adding melted choc or hersheys syrup.

It will darken a abit after you ice the cake.

and yes u can add brown if you like the taste as it is. I have done that to make super dark brown. HTH

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #7 of 10

It will get darker as it sets as well....just fyi thumbs_up.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:02am
post #8 of 10

I also use just a little brown to get it darker. I use melted choc squares I love the taste and the color.

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:03am
post #9 of 10

When I made my sister's baby shower I cake I made a chocolate buttercream. I used 1 cup shortening, 1 cup butter, 2 lbs of powdered sugar, approximately, and a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips melted. Little bit of milk and vanilla. This is the color I got. And it tasted very delicious.
LL

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:08am
post #10 of 10

you can add more choc, also you could use chocolate paste. if your happy with the flavour i would add some brown color paste to darken it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%