Wilton Tall Tier Cake Stand

Decorating By missym Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 9:38am by leah_s

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 15

Have any of you used the wilton tall tier cake stand? I am using it for the first time next weekend. My main concern is transporting this cake. I know that I can't not transport it constructed, but can I put the cakes on the plates? They aren't exactly flat becuase of the way they sit on stand. So, I'm nervous. I found instructions on Wilton's website, but using it the first time can be intemidating. So, I thought someone out here might have some tips for me. Thanks for sharing if so!!!

Missy

14 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 15

i have it too, but never used it, so i'm interested to know as well. icon_eek.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 15

<... can I put the cakes on the plates? They aren't exactly flat becuase of the way they sit on stand....

That's why I only used that thing once in 20 yrs.
You will have to find something to put those UNlevel plates on for transporticon_sad.gif Pack lots of towels under/around each plate to stableize them.

It's been a long, long time since I did use it and I don't remember how it went together. Good luck.

missym Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking that I would have to put the cakes in boxes with towels or foam around them to allow them to sit as level as possible. I really thought this system was going to be a lot easier to use. Guess I was wrong.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 15

Why can't you put them on a cardboard round with a hole in the bottom, then assemble when you get there?

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 15

I used this system just once in the past 20 years as well. I just wasn't very confident about it staying straight. Sort of had a bit of a sway to it. Made me a little nervous. It didn't fall or anything......I just didn't like it.

Hope it works out for you.

Gayle
SE Michigan

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 15

I strongly recommend doing your cake as you would normally and put it on a cardboard round that is the same size as the cake (slightly, and I mean slightly bigger is ok too). Before doing that though, put a hole in the center of the board big enough for the center support of the tall tier stand to go thru. After placing your cake on the cardboard w/ a hole in it, core the center of each cake as well.

That cake on its same-size board can then be put on a larger cardboard (a 'used' one is ok for this), and put in the appropriate size box for transport.

Once at the location, set up the first (bottom) plate of the stand, screw in the center support, place the cake on it. Then place the next plate above that cake, screw in the center support again, and place that cake on its plate. Continue in that manner until you have put all your cake on the stand, then pipe borders around each cake, and add flowers or whatever your plan is for decorations in between each tier.

When I did mine (it's posted, http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1178608 - 4 tier wedding cake w/ red roses), I put a piece of parchment paper on the top of each cake (also w/ a hole cut in it) so that I could place the flowers w/out them affecting the cake. I was happy w/ how it turned out.

Hope that made sense!
Thanks,

missym Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you so much for this advice. It is greatly appreciated.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:05am
post #9 of 15

Hmmmm... I can't really remember. My mother used hers for 20+ years but I'm not sure how she transported them. I know she and dad would lay them in the back of the station wagon. It doesn't seem like she had them on cardboard but I don't have any idea how keep them flat on the seperator plates. I'll call dad tonight and see if he remembers.

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #10 of 15

If you really wanted to decorate the cake on the actual plates,
why not get some inexpensive foam flower rings to set the cake
on to transport it. With the non-skid mats and the flower rings,
the cake should not slide. HTH

missym Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 15

I like the idea of the flower ring. I do want the cakes on the plates if at all possible. They are only giving me an hour to get this cake together. I'm using the lady windemere base and then three tiers so I do not want to run short on time.

marccrand Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 15

I talked to Dad and he said that because Mom used it for so many years, they had styrofoam blocks made with a hole cut in the center for transportation.

I like someone's idea of the flower rings. What about the styrofoam wreaths that they have at Michaels for the larger ones? I agree, I'd put shelf liner underneath the rings.

Dad said the great thing about this set is that it's all done before it goes in the car. You can turn the best side forward even after it's set up. Ten minutes on-site and you're done!

Good luck! Let us see the finished product!

marccrand Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 15

PS Make sure you get ALL the pieces back!

missym Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 15

marccrand. thank you so much for your advice and to e icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:38am
post #15 of 15

If you want to transport your cakes already decorated and on the plates, put a big piece of nonskid into (draped over the sides) of a cake pan and then set the plate in that. Place the pans on more non-skid in your car. When arriving just pick up the pan and carry it in, then assemble.

PS I truly hate that wonky stand. I've used it twice and never again for anything other than cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%