Opinion And Thoughts On This Design, Please

Decorating By PennySue Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm by dandelion56602

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #31 of 68

The DVD is that one called Wedding Cake Design Pro. I think that there are several on CC who use it and like it.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:07pm
post #32 of 68

Just to add in my two cents' worth, I had two baby showers (one at home and one at my office. My office had also thrown me a bridal shower a few years earlier even though I was working there for only about four months!!) for my first child and one for my second and none for my third. So I guess I don't really feel "cheated"! As for the necessary baby items, who can't use more?! I was lucky enough to have saved everything from my other two children so I was 'covered' for both a boy and a girl even though my two older children are 18 months apart and from middle child to youngest there's a seven year gap!

Generally, in my family/culture, etc. it's only done for the first child, but then again, many of the 'old ways' are sort of fading away. I'm the first generation in my family (my great-grandparents were all born in Italy, but my grandparents on were all born in America) to not eat early on Sundays. Usually Italian families continue the European tradition of having dinner or a BIG lunch with sauce (gravy), pasta, meat, etc. at about one or two in the afternoon. DH doen't really mind that I haven't been doing that for the last ten or eleven years. I just don't see a reason for it - it messes up my schedule.

So if a tradition doesn't work for someone, then don't continue it, unless you have a need or other reasons for it! In my opinion, do what works as long as you're not hurting anyone seriously. So anyone who wants to have or give a baby shower for the 10th baby or more or less, go ahead. There are no baby shower police!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:40pm
post #33 of 68

When I had my 3rd child (6 years after 2nd) I did not even think about anybody holding a baby shower for me...but three days after we were home a tornado hit our home...3 days later I received the most spectacular baby shower icon_smile.gif 60 people gathered and I know I got enough for the baby for the first year...including 20 packages of diapers from newborn to 12 months of age icon_smile.gif ... I think tradition can be easily broken icon_smile.gif especially when it is for a good cause like a baby icon_wink.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:01pm
post #34 of 68

ok, back to cake. I really like the design of this cake. My first thought was, "Man that's gonna be alot of cake!" I like tall tiers, so I probably would keep them at 4" and do a dummy on the bottom. I still think you'd have PLENTY.

PennySue Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #35 of 68

Off the subject for those inquiring minds icon_surprised.gif) It's my grandaughter that is on the way. I'm NOT having a baby, lol! The baby in my avatar is our first grandchild, Austin.

Cake dummy....oh, I just don't know. I used some once to practice when my oven was out (pink flower cake in my pics) and even then, I felt cheated. It must just be me or something!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:15am
post #36 of 68

Way too much cake for 30 people. I'd go with an 8" and a 6" square to feed 32 "party" serving sizes. I love the design!

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:41am
post #37 of 68

thats a beautiful design...my question is how do you make the design...that is amazing...is it some type of computer program?

PennySue Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:40pm
post #38 of 68

I finished the bears and the blocks for the baby shower cake. They are a bit different from the picture, but I like the way they came out. Molding figures is a lot more fun than I thought it would be! I had a tough time with the blocks, trying to get them to be square so....I found some very light weight wood blocks and covered them. Worked pretty good.
LL

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:48pm
post #39 of 68

unbelievably cute! love it.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #40 of 68

Love the figures and blocks. Where did you pick up the blocks from?

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #41 of 68

Your decorations are so adorable. You did a great job and I love the colors. Was this your first attempt at molding figures? Cannot wait to see the finished cake. What size cake did you finally decide on?

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:05pm
post #42 of 68

Those Bears are adorable, did you go by a pattern in a book??? How cute are these!!!!! The blocks are so cute too. Where did you get them? Thats a very creative idea to cover wood blocks. Great Job! By the way, I have two kids, and I was given baby showers for both. I think each baby is special and a miracle so why not celebrate it. One is not more special than the other!!!!

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #43 of 68

I have heard that for the first baby you have a "shower" and for any babies after that you have a "sprinkle." It is a simpler not as extravagent party

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #44 of 68

Love the design, love the colours! I just have to add my two cents, and that is that every baby is so unique and wonderful, they each deserve their own special party to celebrate their arrival - gifts or no gifts!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

I use Microsoft Publisher to design my cakes.

I didn't even know I this existed, so I looked, and I already have it on my computer!! thanks!!!

(now I just have to figure out how to use it....) icon_smile.gif

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #46 of 68

They look great. I love the white bear in the back pushing the block that is falling down. I love it. You did a great job!!

PennySue Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:28pm
post #47 of 68

You all are so kind! The blocks came from Michael's in the wood stuff section. Yes, this is my first time making these little guys. I found a DVD from SmartFlix.com for making others but I haven't received it yet. Can't wait to try some others. Thanks again!!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #48 of 68

I think the bears and blocks are adorable and the colors I think kept if from being too babyish. I really love how you have one bear pushing blocks up and another bear covering his eyes. so cute! I can't wait to see the finished cake.

Where I live we give showers for every baby. After I had my first two, my sister asked to borrow all my stuff since she was pregnant. A few months later my other sister became pregnant and borrowed everything from my other sister that was mine. So now we're trying for a third and we don't have anything except a crib. Hopefully my third sister doesn't become pregnant soon or I'm in big trouble! But by the time they're both done using everything, it will have been through four babies and I don't know if it would last through another one. I am hoping that if we are finally able to have a third, someone will throw us a shower so that we don't have to buy everything ourselves.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #49 of 68

I absolutely LOVE this cake! I've been trying to come up with a fun design for a couple in my small group who is having their first baby. He has 2 older children from a previous marriage but this is a first for his bride. We are doing a shower for them and I might want to "borrow" this design. icon_wink.gif

About showers for the 3rd child, I have to share my hubbies story. My DH will be 60 in June and he was the 3rd child. His brother was 15 and his sister was 10 when he was born. The only reason his sister knew they were going to have a baby was that she found a sack of baby clothes in the closet and asked her mom. His brother found out when their dad told him that he had a new baby brother. The other part of the story is that my husband left for the big city the day after he graduated. For some reason, people don't remember him as Nellie and Herbert's son, they think he is his brothers son! icon_lol.gif In just over a week, they are having a huge party to celebrate the 75th, 70th and 60th birthdays for the siblings and the 50th birthdays of some of my husbands nephews and nieces.

Sorry to be so long. icon_redface.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #50 of 68

I like the design but think it's a lot of cake... oh well, I've gone overboard as well icon_smile.gif I WISH we got showers for 2nd babies or 3rd!!! I'm pregnant with my 2nd now and there's no sign of a shower. I'm thinking of throwing a "meet the baby" party after he/she is here just for an excuse to make a cake but half my family probably wouldn't even show up because it's my 2nd child.

PennySue Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:07am
post #51 of 68

I still say that every baby no matter his or her place in the pecking order of siblings should have a shower. They are such a blessing. My mom didn't have any showers for either my brother or I. We were adopted, though not related, and they moved each time so no one would know we weren't their birth children. This was back in the 50's so there was a stigma connected to those from our circumstances. I didn't find out about the adoptions until a few years ago. Maybe I should give myself a very belated shower, lol!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:44am
post #52 of 68

Calling it a sprinkle is a great idea! Love it!

Those blocks and bears turned out sosososososososoooo cute! Can't wait to see the finished cake!

PennySue Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:10am
post #53 of 68

A sprinkle...too cute.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:52am
post #54 of 68

I wished you lived closer...I would make the sprinkle cake...that would be fun!!! No umbrellas at this one!

kelleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleygirl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #55 of 68

I really like the design, too. Now I have to ask the question: What software did you use to create that design, Pennysue? I would love to have it.

kelley

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #56 of 68

Your blocks and bears are WAY icon_eek.gif cuter than on the original design! Very nice work thumbs_up.gif . Good idea using the wood blocks.

I was silly enough to think that I was going to quit after each of my 3 children icon_lol.gif ....in other words had to start over from scratch every time icon_surprised.gif ! Fortunately I was given a shower after the first two, which were 6 years apart icon_lol.gif . Then I was on my own for the 3rd one. Thank God for thrift stores thumbs_up.gif !

PennySue Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:29pm
post #57 of 68

I used Microsoft Office Publisher. I'm doing a quickie tutorial for those of you who are interested. I'll post it here asap. Today is D-Day for baking the shower cake.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #58 of 68

The bears are tooo cute. My only concern w/ the 1 layer torted would be that the decorations "overwhelm" the cake b/c of height. I personally think I would have used a dummy.

On the shower end. I received a small one for my 2nd. We had a pedi/manicure (dutch treat) for close friends. We also throw diaper showers for 2nd & 3rd. There were 5 yrs between my 2 & they were both in the spring, but my 2nd wore preemie clothes for 4 mo, just turned 1 & is in 3-6 mo. So hand me downs don't always work. Medicines are also good to throw in w/ diapers. if I have another I swear I want a massage party!!! But I would be making my own cake or have one from walmart icon_sad.gif

Post when you're done!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:50am
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

On the shower end. I received a small one for my 2nd. We had a pedi/manicure (dutch treat) for close friends. We also throw diaper showers for 2nd & 3rd. There were 5 yrs between my 2 & they were both in the spring, but my 2nd wore preemie clothes for 4 mo, just turned 1 & is in 3-6 mo. So hand me downs don't always work. Medicines are also good to throw in w/ diapers. if I have another I swear I want a massage party!!! But I would be making my own cake or have one from walmart icon_sad.gif

Post when you're done!

Wow are we in the same boat icon_smile.gif My oldest is almost 2 and his waist is that of a 6 mo. old. I had 3 showers for my 1st and one for my 2nd. Each baby should be celebrated, just b/c he/she isn't the first doesn't mean they aren't special.

And those blocks and bears are so cute. I really need to start practicing making the bears. They're so adorable! I want to see a pic of the finished cake when you have time!!!!

And PennySue, your grandson is too cute.

PennySue Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:43am
post #60 of 68

The cakes are done and nice and tall. They are two layered tiers. I think that if once I get it together and the blocks are not working, I'll separate them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%