Fbct's - Wrinkle Marks

Decorating By MaryAtk Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm by tobycat

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 9

I've done a few fbct's and they all will come out with 'wrinkle marks' from the wax paper - I assume that is what it is from. I don't recall seeing that on any FBCT's I've seen here. icon_redface.gif

Does anyone know why that happens and what I can do to prevent it?

You can see the vertical wrinkles all down the center.
LL

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 9

Using a dryer buttercream should help. When you add color, also add powdered sugar. There will be less moisture to absorb into the waxed paper.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:12am
post #3 of 9

I haven't had this happen, but I'm wondering why your wax paper is wrinkled when you put it on? Or, does it get that way after you apply the bc? If there's no wrinkles in the wax paper, then there shouldn't be any on the bc. What are you attaching the wax paper to as you apply the bc? I tape mine to a cutting board (just 2 sides are taped, then I can lift off one piece of tape so I can lift the wax paper to see underneath when I need to. Some people use plexiglass.) If you're just doing it on the wax paper and then moving the wax paper by itself, I can see how the lines would get there, but otherwise, haven't a clue.

S.

tobycat Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:12am
post #4 of 9

I haven't had this happen, but I'm wondering why your wax paper is wrinkled when you put it on? Or, does it get that way after you apply the bc? If there's no wrinkles in the wax paper, then there shouldn't be any on the bc. What are you attaching the wax paper to as you apply the bc? I tape mine to a cutting board (just 2 sides are taped, then I can lift off one piece of tape so I can lift the wax paper to see underneath when I need to. Some people use plexiglass.) If you're just doing it on the wax paper and then moving the wax paper by itself, I can see how the lines would get there, but otherwise, haven't a clue.

S.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:36am
post #5 of 9

I too have had the wrinkle problem!! It happens when I do it on parchment paper - I have it taped down on all 4 sides to a glass cutting board.

I use a thick consistency buttercream for outlining and a medium consistency to fill.... should it be thick for both?

It is annoying for sure!

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for you replies!

The buttercream recipe I use is the one that I got from the fbct tutorial that is here on cake central. I will try adding more powdered sugar next time.

I do tape the wax paper to a cutting board. I don't see any wrinkles on the wax paper when I start, or at any point for that matter, so I don't have a clue either! icon_lol.gif Maybe it is all the "lifting and looking" ???

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 9

I piped RI onto wax paper once to make a RI transfer.. and it wrinkled also!!!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 9

I use the icing recipe for FBCT method on this site, and also use wax paper, taped on 4 sides. No problem with wrinkles. It COULD be from frequent "peeking".

tobycat Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAtk

Thanks for you replies!

The buttercream recipe I use is the one that I got from the fbct tutorial that is here on cake central. I will try adding more powdered sugar next time.

I do tape the wax paper to a cutting board. I don't see any wrinkles on the wax paper when I start, or at any point for that matter, so I don't have a clue either! icon_lol.gif Maybe it is all the "lifting and looking" ???

That's probably it. I don't peek anymore until I'm finished. The weight is heavy enough that it doesn't wrinkle the bottom.

Try that out and see if you still have the same problem.

icon_smile.gif

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%